Pro Wrestling Only

Lucha Underground

Phil Schneider

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like putting the mask on Ricochet and making him mute completely neutered a guy who is normally extremely charismatic. I get that they wanted someone with a mask to be the lead guy, and probably someone they can make lose it later, but putting one on Ricochet was evidently not a good idea. I think the mask itself looks dumb too.

I really like the Aztec Warfare match. A "great" match, maybe not, the LU style gets kind of exposed when guys are going back and forth too long like they were at times in that match, but there were enough big spots and bells and whistles that it was really entertaining.

Last weeks show I actually loved, maybe my favorite episode yet. All the matches were distinct in their goals and delivered what they should have. The main event is overrated by some but I thought that it worked the LU style in a particularly "main event" fashion and really distinguished itself as a world title match. Not the kind of match I'll call a MOTYC or anything but for what it was I enjoyed it a lot. I liked Cage a lot, as a big musclehead he actually stands out on the show. He needs to ditch some of the indie dork offense though and focus on simple power moves.

Watched the Aztec rumble this morning. Real enjoyable show. As a first time viewer I must say I had no problem at grasping who was feuding with who. My interest in wrestling is at deaths door but this is exactly the kind of well paced, high octane match that can maintain interest. In fact it's the first match in 2015 that I've managed to watch from start to finish.

Big Zeke looked good with his big bear clubbing arms and clotheslines. All the flippy guys were impressive even if they sort of blurred together. Only downside was John Morrison. He's awful as ever and with everyone working so flush his rotten strikes stood out more than usual.

Good stuff, and I enjoyed the general feel of the show despite it starting with a mic'd authority figure and the Matt Striker. Might even watch next weeks.

I just started playing catch up. I'm really digging it. It feels like I've captured my youth when watching it. It comes across fresh, and really different from WWE. I don't think it has chance to bust out into mainstream, but hope it finds a niche. If it does bust out even better. The time really flies when watching. It's just a fun experience.

I enjoyed this week's edition more than last week's, with a fun little oddity of a match as an opener. Liked the turn on Big Ryck, I guess now that Cage is officialy the new heel monster (damn, bring back Mil Muertes already), they have to do something else with Ryck. The short interview with Cage was well produced, and I actually enjoy Vampiro in this setting. Cage didn't show much character. I'm warming up to Sexy Star but the constant intergender stuff seems to go nowhere. Pentagon Jr. vs Superfly was a decent way to put Pentagon Jr. over. Superfly is squash material, he's not impressing me much. The main event was much more of my taste than last week's spotfu, and I enjoyed it quite a bit until the dumb as fuck finish. Ugh, who thought it was a good idea, it looks like a total cop-out way to end the feud.

Again, too few backstage vignettes this week. Where is Konnan BTW ? The show has been losing steam with me for the last two weeks, but it's still fun to watch.

I also enjoyed Vampiro much more as an interviewer than as an announcer. It's really refreshing to see a more engaged, adversarial interviewing style after the vanilla crap we get from the WWE guys. Vamp has enough of a tough guy aura that it doesn't come off as ridiculous like it would with, say, Byron Saxton.

I really liked the first half or so of last night's show. Didn't care for the LMS at all. We have some lame WWE stuff seeping in this episode with the LMS ending with a "clever" spot keeping the loser down without actually knocking him out, and Big Rick being going to a "medical facility."

The Cage interview was good. I have to say I enjoy Cage explaining why they call him Cage in a way that doesn't at all explain why they call him Cage. Definitely agree with El-P that more Konnan is needed.

I loved loved loved this week's episode. The extended Cage vignette and especially the Vampiro/Konnan/Puma interview were great. The six man was a ton of fun. The work in the main event didn't blow me away but they did such a good job with a simple but effective build to it that I was still into it and the ending was awesome. Cage still needs to ditch some too-cute indie offense though.

I echo the love for the 3/4 of this week's episode. I enjoyed Muertes vs Fenix a lot, witha classic upset finish. Cage's vignette was terrific, despite the guy having zero charisma. That's how well produced this is. The six-man reminded me of those old M-Pro matches, tons of fun indeed. The interview segment was great and again blows away anything from WWE in term of production, delivery, pace and efficiency. The Puma vs Cage match was decent, but not really that much of a change of pace from the Fenix match if you think about it. Fenix does acrobatic highspots, Cage does power-move highspots, but it was still a spot match. And Cage really does nothing for me, he's got no personnality at all, and the High Voltage look gets no point from me. Yep, the ending was excellent, but I don't look forward to more Cage big match. He does have an indie-riffic style. Give me Big Ryck and Mil Muertes instead. The ending was a nice cliffhanger too. Glad to see more Dario Cueto again !

That six man was super fun. The spot style really works a lot better in the trios format, so they should do a lot more of these. It would also allow them to not burn through singles matches so quickly, which would be helpful given the limited roster.

As annoying as Striker is, Vamp constantly burying and no-selling everything Striker sets up for him is even worse. That said, as horrible as he is an announcer he really shines in those backstage interview segments. If the rumors of him being replaced as an announcer are true I hope they at least keep him on in that role.

I thought Puma/Cage was really pretty bad. Everything both guys did came off so rehearsed and performative, like they were wrestling in an empty arena. Really dug the post match though, how many years has it been since the last incidence of televised gigging?

Got through episode 6 earlier today. The street fight was a lot of fun and the one thing I'll give them is that due to stuff away from the ring being shot by people who actually know what compelling television looks like, they make everything outside the ring really put a lot more emphasis on wanting to see what they do inside it. Loved the street fight, Ricochet really has his shit on lock. Really enjoying Drago as well. Cuerno's tope is incredible. There's a couple guys coming in that I'm excited to see, too, but so far, they're only behind NXT as far as great hour-long TV programs go.

I thought the non-wrestling stuff on this show was the best stuff they've ever done. This is what WWE wishes it could be with its backstage segment stuff. Alberto's promo was fantastic. The in-ring stuff was mostly whatever to me, although I could watch Pentagón Jr. squash dudes all day.

What's really jarring about the product right now is that it's very much about telling stories, but the matches are predominantly spotfests. It's especially egregious when you have Johnny Mundo working a long match while completely ignoring the knee injury that is supposed to be a huge part of the angle he's currently involved in. Another thing is how low-rent the commentary sounds when contrasted with the level of polish of the rest of the product. They really need to do something about that.

I still think they need to build stuff up better. Traditionally this Texano Jr. vs. Alberto match would get a several week build with promos back and forth and a set date for the match to air, but I'm sure they're just going to throw it out there in one or two weeks.

I thought the non-wrestling stuff on this show was the best stuff they've ever done. This is what WWE wishes it could be with its backstage segment stuff. Alberto's promo was fantastic. The in-ring stuff was mostly whatever to me, although I could watch Pentagón Jr. squash dudes all day.

Agreed. The vignettes with Dario, Mil Muertes & Catrina and Big Ryck were terrific. As was Alberto's promo. How better and bigger of a star does he look in that context than Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan do in theirs ? There's a lot WWE could learn here in term of production.

It's a small complaint but the crowd bugs me at these shows. They just reek of trying too hard.

Love Pentagon Jr. though. More of him on my TV is a good thing.

I understood that the fans at first few tapings were actually extras not wrestling fans. You pick ed up on their phoney reactions The recent shows appear to have real fans in attendance.

Cage/Mundo last week was a pretty bad match but the whole segment still won me over with Cage wearing the ripped up belt around his neck and Dario restarting it after Mundo got injured. The vignettes this week were so awesome. If I weren't watching this show and just read about some of that stuff I might think it sounded lame, but watching it it just works so much better than you'd imagine. Pentagon's squashes are great. They need to vary the matches a bit more though, more 3/4 way matches and definitely more trios. With the 'sameness' of the style, an all-singles-matches show can wear on me.