Pro Wrestling Only

Brock staying with WWE

sek69

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock-Reigns at WM32 is infinitely more appealing. Brock re-signing means his WM32 opponent should be whichever young worker is hottest around say, Survivor Series - whether that’s Bryan, Ambrose, or someone entirely new. Legend v. Legend matches have run their course at Mania, and that show will have plenty of them already. Throwing together two guys who don't need the rub just because it's the "biggest match they have right now" is the short-sighted thinking they've had in the past, and it's led to lackluster shows and a lack of new stars. A crowd of legit 80-90K people should be the time to pair yesterday’s icons with tomorrow's. Pass the torch in a ceremonial way that subtly represents the early stages of Vince passing it to Hunter & Steph.

I think they should reunite The Shield.

I think they should've reunited the Shield at the Rumble to get the title off of Brock there so they wouldn't have had to do this. The definition of insanity is signing Brock Lesnar over and over and expecting a different result.

I still don't really understand why they signed him in the first place. When he came in there and made his demands for dates and money I can't believe they didn't tell him to go fuck off. But good for Brock, I don't blame him. I just don't understand why they decided to pay him, especially when they seemed to have no real plan to maximize his value the first yer and it's still very arguable if they're doing it now.

I don't think they necessarily booked themselves into a corner where they had to resign Brock. If they really put over Reigns strong on Sunday, then on some level that would have transferred at least some of the value of Brock beating taker and his reign onto Reigns. Hell, they could have had Taker come out to "pass the torch" after the match and bring it all full circle. It wouldn't have been perfect, but it would have at least partially worked.

I'm pretty pumped about this. Not only could this very possibly salvage the main event of WrestleMania, it makes the future of the WWE a lot more interesting with Brock staying in the picture. I hope they utilize his limited dates well and give him interesting matchups.

Four big matches I want to see are:

• Brock vs. Bryan - Pretty obvious as to why. Wouldn't everyone like to see this?
  • Brock vs. Orton - Regardless of your feelings towards Orton, this is one of the biggest fresh matchups the WWE has in their pockets right now, and I think it would be a pretty great match
  • Brock vs. Rusev - Hoss fight of the century. It would be amazing.
  • Brock vs. Batista - I'm probably alone in this, and I'm not sure how good the actual match would end up being, but as a huge mark for both Batista and Brock, a match between them would be a dream for me. Too bad it looks pretty unlikely that Batista will ever come back to wrestle again

Rock-Reigns at WM32 is infinitely more appealing. Brock re-signing means his WM32 opponent should be whichever young worker is hottest around say, Survivor Series - whether that’s Bryan, Ambrose, or someone entirely new. Legend v. Legend matches have run their course at Mania, and that show will have plenty of them already. Throwing together two guys who don't need the rub just because it's the "biggest match they have right now" is the short-sighted thinking they've had in the past, and it's led to lackluster shows and a lack of new stars. A crowd of legit 80-90K people should be the time to pair yesterday’s icons with tomorrow's. Pass the torch in a ceremonial way that subtly represents the early stages of Vince passing it to Hunter & Steph.

I totally agree with this, but I think it's more likely that next year will be built around even more legend vs. legend matches because they want to legitimately sellout Cowboys Stadium and don't have confidence in today's generation of stars to do the job. I mean there's a very good chance that we'll be seeing both Rock vs. Brock and Undertaker vs. Sting (perhaps both men's retirement match) in Dallas and when you throw in the requisite big matches for John Cena, Triple H and Randy Orton that really doesn't leave much wiggle room to push many new guys.

On Meltzer audio he thinks Brock worked ESPN into thinking he was announcing he was going back to UFC and instead announced he resigned with WWE to get on ESPN.

They are clearly in a working relationship with ESPN at the moment, with Simmons being on Raw, ESPN doing a behind the scenes special, and Reigns and Lesnar being on Sportscenter and SportsNation yesterday. Heyman was on, also. So, I think what Dave thinks is total bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised if they make more appearances this week.

I listen to the SVP and Russillo show on the way in to work, and Scott Van Pelt did his "One Big Thing" segement on how he doesn't understand why so many people around him are excited about WrestleMania. He didn't go as far as bashing it, but clearly he was bemused at how all these people at the mighty ESPN were fans of this silly thing for children.

On Meltzer audio he thinks Brock worked ESPN into thinking he was announcing he was going back to UFC and instead announced he resigned with WWE to get on ESPN.

They are clearly in a working relationship with ESPN at the moment, with Simmons being on Raw, ESPN doing a behind the scenes special, and Reigns and Lesnar being on Sportscenter and SportsNation yesterday. Heyman was on, also. So, I think what Dave thinks is total bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised if they make more appearances this week.

I listen to the SVP and Russillo show on the way in to work, and Scott Van Pelt did his "One Big Thing" segement on how he doesn't understand why so many people around him are excited about WrestleMania. He didn't go as far as bashing it, but clearly he was bemused at how all these people at the mighty ESPN were fans of this silly thing for children.

Wrestling gets lumped in with sci-fi/fantasy/horror/adventure genre stuff that have a predominate marketing campaign for those younger than High School level ages.

Not Van Pelt, but this was a quote from an ESPN host when told he mixed up Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter: "There's a difference?"

Speaking of LotR, another radio guy vehemently declared he was never seeing a film headlined by Viggo Mortensen because he was "that Lord of The Rings guy" even though movie in question was a western based on a "historical legend."