Pro Wrestling Only

PTBN's Greatest Wrestling Theme Song Tourney - Ongoing Thread

The wrestling business has been cyclical for the past 100 years. There has been key indicators from a United States perspective as to why the wrestling business has boomed. The 1950s saw television become a household item for much of America. The last half of the 1990s provided the same sensation with the World Wide Web. The 1980s Rock N Wrestling boom period is a little more ambiguous without one key indicator overriding all others. The WWE narrative would say that this is the time that Vince brought wrestling out of smoky arenas and into the mainstream. This an obtuse, extreme description of the events but there is no doubt that the overall presentation of professional wrestling combined with the national expansion of Titan Sports was a huge catalyst for the notoriety of the promotion as a whole. One of the biggest forefront changes was the addition of theme music for every wrestler entrance. Entrance themes had been used effectively in the peak of World Class Championship Wrestling in the early 1980s as well as the music videos used to present young talent in Memphis. It became the norm with WWF for every wrestler to have a distinguishable theme song. This change in culture can’t be understated where by 1990, it seemed odd that Andre the Giant didn’t have any theme music. Theme music to this day remains one of the thriving identifiers of any professional wrestling event from WrestleMania to the smallest local indy. Other presentation aspects have come and gone and theme music has been updated with the ever-changing genres of mainstream music, but the lifeblood and purpose of the theme song remain the same. A great theme song acts as a sense of comfort that we know who this person about to come out is about and what is coming next inside the squared circle. – Chad Campbell

The Place to Be Nation staff has come together to choose and rank 292 of the greatest pro wrestling theme songs of all time. The bottom 48 songs have been entered into groups of four for the play-in round. Please select just one song from each group to advance to round one. From there, 256 songs go into battle as we determine the single greatest wresting theme ever!

Play-in rounds to get us to 256 songs and the main tournament:

http://placetobenation.com/ptbns-greatest-wrestling-theme-song-tournament-play-in-round-pool-1-6/

http://placetobenation.com/ptbns-greatest-wrestling-theme-song-tournament-play-in-round-pool-7-12/

I'll be very disappointed if Cool, Cocky and Bad doesn't at least make the Sweet 16.

Also what kind of monster puts Enzo's theme and 3 Count in the same group forcing me to choose between them.

As far as best theme ever. That is obviously the remixed version of the theme of a certain turkophob movie that happens to share it's name with the best Tag Team in wrestling history.

i'm most curious to see which Generic Jim Johnston Rock Theme makes it the farthest. figure it'll be stone cold's, though i think brock's theme is a better actual tune. it just doesn't have anything as distinctive as the glass breaking. i guess you could throw warrior's theme in here as well, and that would be a strong candidate...

EDIT: would also be interesting to look at the various stock music WCW used, though goldberg should be the runaway winner there. rey mysterio's theme is the only other good one i can think of offhand.

and please, please tell me the candyman theme is in this! guy handing out candy to kids in the front row, backed by a ripoff of Owner of a Lonely Heart...

Man, there are a ton of great ones and its amazing that the majority of them have come from one man. Some of my favorites:

Razor Ramon

HBK

The Ultimate Warrior

Roddy Piper

Mr. Perfect

Hulk Hogan's 'Real American'

DX

NWO

The Undertaker

SCSA

The Rock

The Four Horsemen

Goldberg

Wolfpack

Sting's WCW 'Crow' theme

Harlem Heat

Ric Flair

The Model Rick Martel *

Evolution

Lita's 'Lovefurypassionengery'

*and by extension Val Venis' theme which is just a remix of Martel's theme.

That's just a quick top twenty, but jesus there are so much more...I will definitely take a listen to this podcast. Also, if Devon's preach theme, Mark Henry's Sexual Chocolate, and Billy Gunn's 'Ass Man' themes did not make the cut...I am going to question the host(s)'s sanity.