Pro Wrestling Only

Robert Gibson

Grimmas

• 2 months later...

I know the canons of beauty were a bit different back then. Still, I have no idea how this guy was ever half of a blowjob tag team. No idea at all.

Solid worker. But when you got Ricky Morton at your side… Well…

Not as good as Bobby Fulton. Much better than Steve Keirn (not hard).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely love the RnR Express and they are a team I'm considering at #1 for the tag team list. Ricky Morton was obviously the star of the team and was so great that it was often easy to look past Robert. But he was a good worker. He was great working on the apron and engaging with the crowd/match from there. But being a great apron tag worker doesn't mean he warrants a spot in the top 100. Honestly I was glad to see it was nominated.

Needing a break from the world news today, I'm watching the title change against the Russians and it is has got to be the performance of Robert's career. It is interesting that the RnR's chose to work their big JCP debut with Robert in the face in peril role for the bulk of the match. It's a great match and a great performance.

• 7 years later...

It's pretty shocking looking back at Rock & Roll Express matches and seeing Robert Gibson in the face in peril role so often. The description of the RnR's being the Ricky one Man Show while Robert is relegated to the corner is false. The most obvious example of Robert in peril is their JCP TV debut against the Russians which is also the best match of the team's entire run. Some of the best matches with the Midnights also have Robert in peril. Don't get me wrong, Ricky Morton is the better wrestler and the elite candidate. But Robert Gibson was a great wrestler. 

I feel like the lesser of great tag teams who never really went away to become singles stars are almost bound to be omitted in ballots, whereas their better halves gain all the credit. I know there's a couple title matches with Flair in 86, but does anyone know of other worthwhile singles work from Gibson?

He’s got a match against Tully on the 5/16/87 Pro I liked quite a bit.

I’ve often wondered if both Ricky & Robert had other partners if we might be talking about 2 great babyface tags. I think Gibson was very good as FIP, I think it was one of his great strengths. But Ricky’s the best to ever do it so obviously gets more credit.

Gibson v Flair from the a June '86 episode of World Pro is really great. Obviously Flair/Morton was the money pairing with Flair v the Rock n Rolls, but Gibson sure wasn't in there just getting by on a bargain bin Ricky Morton impression.