Pro Wrestling Only

Mailbag Questions for New Dangerous Alliance Podcast

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Would like to hear a periodic segment in the mailbag where JR and Will have to recommend a match or segment for the other to watch (or rewatch). Your tastes are both great and overlap to some extent, but I'm sure you each have personal favorite moments that the other should seek out.

Enjoyed the rebooking of Macho Man's WWF career immensely. If you guys decide to do another long-range rebooking project in the future, I'd love to hear ya take aim at 2011 - specifically early '11 when it looked like Lawler might take the WWE Championship off The Miz.

So I guess it'd be Elimination Chamber 2011 to MITB 2011.

It's a subject I could see Will getting into, and it's one that I've honestly always wondered about if it had gone down differently. I'd keep the Summer of Punk and all the Pipebomb stuff that comes down the road, but I'd only request that you guys book Lawler's feud with Miz all the way through his only WrestleMania and up into MITB 2011 - where the beginning of the Punk run could be kept intact.

Plenty of stuff to sink your teeth into there.

- Rock's return. Does he still guest host Mania, or is he doing something else?

- What about Miz? Does he drop the strap to Lawler? Does he retain?

- Where does Cena wind up on the card?

- How's the Michael Cole feud wrapped up? Does it go the way of Andy Kaufman - with the King just squashing him and mowing him down with Piledrivers? Or do you call on Cole to get more physical with a cat & mouse / "dog & pony" evil Mr. McMahon kind of performance?

- Does R-Truth still go ape-shit bananas?

... Okay. That last one doesn't have anything to do with Lawler/Cole/Miz, but it was insanely fun. And HEY. Truth did work a main event program that year. :D

With all the wrestling stuff you have on VHS, DVD, etc, do you keep a stats document of the wins you have of each wrestler, including no contests, time limit draws, Double Countout, & DDQ. I keep a document of all the wins of many superstars I have in my collection.

The game's called Gimmick Transplant.

Basically, you take a specific gimmick that was introduced or debuted at a specific point in time, EXCEPT that you select another wrestler to play the part.

For instance, Mankind stormed onto the scene in 1996 to spark up a hot program with The Undertaker. Your task would be to "assign" the gimmick of Mankind to a different performer that year.

In this universe, for WHATEVER reason, Mick Foley is unable to come to the WWF in '96. Maybe he gets another role. Maybe he goes back to Japan. Maybe he gets a huge money offer from WCW. Doesn't matter.

And after you've found a guy to play the part of Mankind in 1996...

- Explain the reasons why you think it'd work.

- What's distinctly different between the original portrayal of the gimmick and the new one?

- Overall, would this be an upgrade or a downgrade?

There are plenty of gimmicks that could be used for this one. The Undertaker in 1990. The Million Dollar Man in '87. Goldust in '96. Kane in '97. Val Venis in '98. The Big Bossman. Maybe Barry Darsow doesn't leave Crockett, and Eadie decides to remain under a hood. Who do you get to form Demolition? And so on.

How about rebooking Starrcade 94 with the battle bowl concept, with the winner facing Hulk Hogan at the end of the show. You have 5 tag team matches, T Sullivan, US Title Match, Tag Team title match, Battle Bowl, and winner of Battle Bowl vs. Hulk Hogan for the WCW title.

If Ricky Morton slicked his hair back into a pony tail like Taylor and Rich instead of keeping the mullet, do you think the York Foundation would have been more successful?

Or would a fair compromise have been to let Morton keep the mullet, but add more to the "business in the front" section and reduce the "party in the rear" portion of the hairstyle?