Pro Wrestling Only

Sorting the Nominees and Seeing Where They Stand

JRGoldman

So last night and this morning, I went through every nominee thread. I thought with less than a year to go, it might be helpful for people to see lists of where some of the nominees stand. I sorted people in to various lists: number one contenders, top ten, top 25, and top 50. I only sorted wrestlers that someone actually suggested a placement on. I always put them in a group that was the highest possibility suggested. I thought this might engender some controversy and thus people revisiting threads that have been dormant for a bit. I also did not compile a list for wrestlers that some said were in competition for the lower half, spots 80-100, or spot 100. I think Dylan alone has suggested at least 30 people for spot 100. There are probably a bunch of people who will make the overall list that aren't listed here, but I just wanted to filter this using actual posts instead of my best guess for other people's intent. Anyway, this will hopefully get some new conversations going.

Potential Number Ones:

Satanico

Negro Casas

Hashimoto

Terry Funk

Fujiwara

Bockwinkel

Misawa

Jumbo

Bryan

Hansen

Lawler

Kobashi

Flair

Dustin

Volk Han

Santito

Potential Top 10:

Tenryu

Rey

Toyota

Kawada

Zayn

Savage

Regal

Billy Robinson

Fujinami

Dundee

Bret

Vader

Liger

Eaton

Hokuto

Yokota

Stone Cold

Eddy Guerrero

Dusty

Benoit

PotentialTop 25:

Buddy Rose

Angle

HBK

Atlantis

Steamboat

Akiyama

Taue

Kenya

Blue Panther

Jack Brisco

Jim Breaks

Andre

Tanahashi

Choshu

Tommy Rich

Steve Grey

Hase

John Cena

Ishikawa

Dick Murdoch

Sekimoto

Finlay

Morton

Barry Windham

Potential Top 50:

Dory Funk

Terry Ridge

Pirata Morgan

AJ Styles

Onita

Dynamite Kid

Arn Anderson

Ronnie Garvin

Martel

Tito Santana

Harley Race

Baba

Jon Cortez

Tully

Aja Kong

Johnny Saint

Bull Nakano

Foley

Ohtani

Dick Togo

Dibiase

Kyoko Inoue

Virus

I'm typing on a phone so please forgive any autocorrect bizarreness. For those of you counting, 16 workers have been put forth as a candidate for one overall, 20 for top ten, 24 for top twenty five, and 23 for top fifty.

I hope people find this interesting and it gets some discussion going on candidates you see here and perhaps more importantly candidates you don't see listed.

Dusty is an absolute conundrum. He's not one of the best wrestlers I've seen when watching his matches. But he's one of the very best examples of being the total package whereby his promos and angles make the matches that much meatier and more enjoyable. No clue how to rank him but he will rank. Just too special to be ignored.

I don't think I'll be ranking Dusty. Promo work doesn't count for this (or surely Flair automatically becomes #1 and undisputed as total package), but I don't enjoy a lot of Dusty's character work. I always think he seems outrageously gay and has very little beyond the standard spots in his schtick. Of all the Flair opponents, he's the only one who has ** and *** matches with him, which should be illustrative. I haven't seen a great deal from him when he's cropped up vs. NWA champions in the 70s or when he's made trips to New York that we've seen on Titans.

I think he's just too limited to make the 100 and doesn't make much effort to work around those limitations like Andre or Baba, but rather just leans more and more on the schtick.

I can see a lot of people including him but I won't be one of them. I don't see the work there.

• 4 weeks later...

Lock top ten:

Flair

Jumbo

Hansen

Funk

Misawa

Kawada

Absolutely have to make my top 50:

All time great babyfaces:

Jack Brisco

Rick Martel

Ricky Steamboat

Ricky Morton

Kobashi

All time great heels:

Jim Breaks

Ted DiBiase

Sgt. Slaughter

Nick Bockwinkel

Tully Blanchard

All time great hands:

Arn Anderson

Bobby Eaton

Greg Valentine

Lord Steven Regal

Barry Windham

More guys who are guaranteed a place somewhere on my list:

Harley Race

Giant Baba

Ron Garvin

Wahoo McDaniel

Andre

Bob Backlund

Dory Funk Jr.

Bret Hart

Brock Lesnar

Bruno Sammartino

Riki Choshu

Yoshiaki Yatsu

Genichiro Tenryu

Curt Hennig

Jerry Blackwell

Pat Patterson

'Macho Man' Randy Savage

Vader

Would like to include:

Lex Luger

Rick Rude

Hulk Hogan

Masa Saito

Tommy Rogers

Watching more soon:

Billy Robinson

The Destroyer

Buddy Rose

Watching more (ongoing):

Tatsumi Fujinami

Jerry Lawler

Tag-teams

Funks

Midnights (Eaton / Lane)

Midnights (Eaton / Condrey)

Jumbo/Baba

Choshu/Yatsu

Misawa/Kobashi

Kawada/Taue

Freebirds

Rock n Rolls

Arn and Ole

Arn and Tully

Fantastics

Rockers

Steiners

Kroffat and Furnas

Jack and Jerry Brisco

The Valiants (Johnny and Jerry)

Martel and Garea

Mr. Fuji and Mr. Saito

Doom

Hart Foundation

The Islanders

High Flyers

Footloose

Steamboat and Youngblood

If I had to send in my 25 tomorrow, it would likely be these in some sort of order.

Why Johnny & Jerry over Johnny & Jimmy? Have you seen much of their non-WWWF tag stuff?

No, just WWF. As an act the Valiants were light years ahead of their time and Johnny was a great promo. They were kind of like prototype Freebirds.

Jimmy has never been good in the ring though and when he got injured and they brought in Jerry circa 1979 what they got was a guy who could work and bump with the best of them.

I've made the comparison before, Jerry Valiant was a lot like Bobby Heenan, just a phenomenal bumper. Did the Ray Stevens over the turnbuckle flip, the Heenan-style tumble to the outside, and had good psychology when working heat segments. Probably one of the more underrated workers ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any predictions for guys who will appear on every ballot? Pretty sure on the smarkchoice poll the only two guys who made every ballot were Eddie Guerrero and Voldemort.

If I had to guess I would say Ric Flair, Vader, and Daniel Bryan make every ballot.

I don't dislike Arn Anderson, I think he's pretty good and he does have an outside shot at making my 100.
However, I've just never seen him in a really excellent match that didn't have at least 7 other people in it. There's lots of Arn stuff that's considered great that I didn't much care for, such as the matches w/Ole vs Rock Roll Express or w/Barry Windham vs Doom from Starrcade '90.

Glad this thread got bumped, I've been meaning to post here.

I've narrowed my #1 contenders down to Danielson, Kobashi, and Hansen. Unless someone really blows me away between now and April I just don't see how it couldn't be one of those three. Kobashi, at this point, is my #1. Starting at the 9/4/91 match with Hansen, Kobashi was able to produce MOTYC for almost 15 years straight. 1999-2002 are the only areas I'm a little fuzzy in with him because I haven't seen a lot of late All Japan-early NOAH and Kobashi was hurt for most of that time period.

That comes down to him simply having the most "great" matches. In terms of pure in-ring work, I don't think anyone touches him. Danielson is slotted in my #2 but he and Kobashi are basically even at this point. The thing that impresses me most about Danielson is how he was able to produce classics in just about every match style/structure, expect Lucha. He has brawls with Morishima, technical bouts with Doug Williams, strong style matches with KENTA, and shoot-style matches with Sawa and Hayato that I think are all examples of him mastering a certain style. Depending on how I'm feeling, that could put him in the #1 spot.

When I watch Hansen, I can't help but feel like he's one of, if not the best ever. I've seen a fair amount of his All Japan work, the Colon feud in Puerto Rico, a handful of his New Japan matches, and nothing from his work in the States. I have a lot more of him to watch but I would be shocked if he didn't finish in my Top 5.

Other guys contending for my Top 10:

-Genichiro Tenryu

-Mitsuharu Misawa

-Masaaki Mochizuki

-Tatsuami Fujinami

-Rey Mysterio Jr.

-Ric Flair

-Toshiaki Kawada

-Kurt Angle

-Volk Han

-Shinya Hashimoto

-KENTA