Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 6/15 - 6/21/15

goodhelmet

That stuff with Balor was gold

They had done a really good job with the Itami episode too. It's the sort of feature stuff that you never see on Raw/Smackdown, WWE TV save for maybe those weekly sit down interviews (and even then it's still night and day).

Feels like they're hotshotting Rollins/HHH for Summerslam. That seems pretty rushed, but if it refocuses things on Lesnar I'm in. Last night was the first time in a Rollins felt like a big deal.

I hope not. I expect the upcoming Seth / Brock match to end with a screwy finish with Seth coming up on top, resulting in a Summerslam rematch between the two which I can picture being inside the cell. I think there is money booking today's Brock Lesnar in that match and who better against than the chicken shit heel who "stole" his belt and then screwed him. Best to boot: you know the match would deliver.

NXT 6/17:

• Charlotte-Cassidy squash was OK. Not totally sold on Charlotte as a worker, but her shtick works well in a competitive squash context. She's got a moveset, she's got the athletics: would like to see her put in less smug clapping and more fiery hate, but she's learning and she's done well considering how little time she's actually been working, especially at this high a level, with that high a learning curve, under that pressure.
  • Owens-Joe was... interesting? Not a great match, but it feels lame to fault them for having a merely good one. I had high expectations, but it's true that Joe hasn't been at peak Joeness for at least 7 years, and we shouldn't have expected a renaissance just because he escaped TNA. Agree that his strikes were lacking, given that he built his name on being able to nearly match Kobashi's power chop for chop. If anything it was kind of a sad match in that you can't help wonder what this opportunity could have been even 2-3 years ago. You could see especially in the brawling at the end that Joe looks road worn. At 36, he's younger than Cena, same age as Punk, and not far off from Chris Hero, or even Danielson and Cesaro. Yet he's far more haggard than all of them.
  • Thought Owens sold well and worked hard – my only crit would be that I don't like him screaming full sentences of trash talk in the middle of a match. Just feels excessive, as if he's hitting pause to cut a promo.

SD 6/18 :

• Paige-Bellas feud is horrible. Divas are a division of nothing but heels (Paige included), and lousy ones at that.

• Bo Dallas remains a great promo, but wow: they have no faith in him at all.

• They've killed Lana's heat. At this point they should just put her back with Rusev the moment he's healed up. Forget this happened, lay out Ziggler, move on.

• If they're gonna do this much RAW recapping on this show, they should do fewer matches and make them longer.

• Cesaro-Owens had solid moments, but it wasn't nearly as phenomenal as was suggested online. People were making it out to be some spectacular 20 minute war. It was a fairly conventional 7 minute TV match. But Cesaro adopting Bryan's tope into the boards is pretty crazy, and his feats of strength are always fun to watch.

• You can say that Sheamus isn't over, but he was really good in that main event tag. One of my 2 or 3 favorite in-ring guys they have right now, or at least in the mix with Reigns. Those should be awesome matches when they finally feud: looked great when paired together. Hopefully they hold it off, but would not surprise me to see them work each other on TV next week.

• My new strategy is to pretend that Kane doesn't exist. To that end: great handicap 2-on-1 showing from Sheamus, overcoming the odds! Horrible finish to the match, but a badass performance.

I thought the highlights of NXT were the beginning and the end. The mixed tag match was forgettable but well structured, the women's squash was fine for what it was. I liked the Dusty tribute and want to spend all day looking up Dusty promos now. Hard times indeed. The main event was at least good even if it could have been more. Then again, you want more on the blowoff match, not the initial one.

Bo Dallas' promo on Lana on SmackDown was hilarious and awesome. "You leave your man at his darkest hour? Despicable. And as a rebound you go with Dolph Ziggler? The WORST rebound ever? If his profile came up, swipe left and keep looking for a real man!"

That sounds tremendous. I might seek that out.

Makes you wish Bo would be given some lackeys or backup and form a faction similar to the New Day or at least 3MB. Just fun punching bags for the babyfaces, with Bo carrying the mic workload on his end.

Give him a haircut, surround him with three other lower-end guys, call them the Faux Horsemen & let 'em take out the Meta Powers. Done deal.

If they get over, it opens the door to do more with 'em. If they flop, then no harm done.

Yup. And, while I'm not trying to discount the awesomeness of Xavier or Big E at the moment, a big part of the reason why they're being so well received at the moment is because it was allowed to play out ORGANICALLY and naturally. Same as Bo's NXT turn.

Bo could have benefited from the same treatment, but they just rushed him onto the main roster as if everyone was supposed to know the whole story all along. Didn't click. Same deal with Emma and her awkwardness. Never translated, because it was just kind of shoehorned into the show.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I thought the Balor package did more to make a star out of Becky Lynch than Balor. Not that Balor didn't look good and come across well -- as this type of presentation and extended focus is hard to screw up -- but Lynch stood out a lot more here.

I agree. She looked fantastic and screams star to me. Really great look at her beginnings and makes me want to see her succeed even more. Her career comeback story is real cool to see her where she's at now.