Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I misinterpreted this statement early when I saw it.

For Japan, they can start whenever... but the plausible day would be in January. That way they could book the tour and then get the guys lined up for it.

Since we are going Custom tour approach... it would behoove them to put some schedules together for us to work from.

What i would recommend is going based off the tours in which the freelancers are going to be there, since those are set in stone for the most part.

However, if we want to swap that up and make it completely customizable, we can go that route.

Would love guidance on long term planning. I just kind of sit down week to week and type what comes to mind and sometimes I feel that I have too many wrestlers that deserve an angle and I get stuck.

How many wrestlers do you guys use at the top of your promotion vs midcaders? How many wrestlers or teams do you give pushes too. Do you kind of leave some people laying in the weeds biding their time.

Any ideas or thoughts would be very helpful coming into the new year. Please PM me as I feel I am the most unorganized at this.

I misinterpreted this statement early when I saw it.

For Japan, they can start whenever... but the plausible day would be in January. That way they could book the tour and then get the guys lined up for it.

Since we are going Custom tour approach... it would behoove them to put some schedules together for us to work from.

What i would recommend is going based off the tours in which the freelancers are going to be there, since those are set in stone for the most part.

However, if we want to swap that up and make it completely customizable, we can go that route.

I like the idea of keeping freelancers the way they are. Guys like Terry, Hansen, and Brody can make a big difference in how tours are booked. Having their dates pre-set provides some structure, which can actually enhance creativity rather than limiting it. The only thing we'd have to do is work out which freelancers are going to All Japan, and which to New Japan, when "Japan" is the destination.

The catch-22 is that we need to know when freelancers are coming in order to plan our schedules, while you need to know our schedules in order to make your plans...

I will try to push my NJPW story along far enough that I can lay out a tentative schedule plan in the NJPW thread some time in the next few hours. Hopefully that will be a helpful starting point. It's probably a reasonable assumption that Thunderlips will stick closely to the actual 1985 AJPW touring schedule...

Once I have posted my proposed schedule, we can hopefully work out some of the finer points here, or in the NJPW thread, or by pm, whichever seems appropriate.

I always plan my main event angle first. I plot it out point by point until I arrive at its end date. Once I know when the big blowoff for that angle will be I work everything backwards from that angle. Its true that sometimes guys don't get pushed or aren't involved in angles. Usually what happens for me is the guys not involved in angles I keep them winning. I make sure to still feature them and feature them winning, talking them up so they are fresh in everyone's minds, they have a character and when its time to pull the trigger on an angle I can jump right into it without having to build this guy up who's not been seen in six months. If a guy is finishing up an angle and I don't have any plans for him there are always things like suspension and hospitalization to give them a story on the way out and put somebody or something over.

As posted in the New Japan thread, this is my first proposed touring schedule for NJPW in 1985, including calls for gaijin participation and an implied question about working with the WWF and NWA (and AWA etc)... and offers to participate in your big shows if you are holding them.

January 11-26th: NJPW New Year Golden Series, culminating in a big show in Osaka on January 26th. Hopefully: WWF wrestlers Haku, Tonga, and Barbarian will be coming in for the whole tour. Bill Eadie, Barry Darsow, Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant will be coming in for the Kobe (23rd), Nagoya (24th) and Osaka (26th) shows at the end of the month, In the Osaka show, all four are going to work as Machines. (Hulk Machine, Giant Machine, Superstar Machine, and Repo Machine - or maybe Krusher Machine) ( - or maybe Axe Machine and Smash Machine).

February 3rd through 27th: Tag Team Tournament, to crown the first ever IWGP Tag Team Champions. If it’s OK with the WWF and NWA Boards of Governors, I’d like to open this up so that any and every other federation is welcome to send (at least) one team of their choice over for February. If they want the team protected, we’ll need to keep them over here longer. If they don’t mind being eliminated in the first week (double elimination rules so everyone can get at least one win over here) then we will only need them for one week. We’d like to get at least two of: British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Dynamic Duo (Adams and Hernadez), and/or the Islanders from the WWF, for three weeks or more (making it into at least the quarter-finals) Semi-finals and finals will be held on the 25th and 27th in Tokyo.

March 8th through 23rd: Regional tour and Young Lions Cup. Two weeks in the middle of March, focusing on building up our young lions. We will put out feelers to see if we can get a few gaijin young lions like Sting, Mick Foley, Sabu, 2 Cold Scorpio, Owen Hart and/or Chris Benoit to come over… but with the understanding that the final four are all going to be our boys. We could use up to six big-name gaijin for the final big show in Fukuoka on the 23rd of March. At the end of the month, we'd be happy to send a couple of our bigger names over to America to help with the run-up to WrestleMania.

April 8th through 26th: Winner of the Young Lions Cup gets to choose a tag team partner and compete for the belts on the 26th in Tokyo. It would be nice to have a few gaijin heels come in for the tour in April, and at least two big names for the Tokyo show on the 26th. Will be happy to send a team or two over for the Crockett Cup if there is one this year, and to send representatives to WrestleRock or a similar show if AWA decides to have one (and if negotiations prove fruitful).

May 8th through June 21st.: Festival of Champions. From the Second week of May through the third week of June (pending negotiations), we invite any champion from any federation to come and defend their belts in Japan. (Their guys will either go over our undercard guys cleanly, or lose by DQ or CO to upper-card guys, or if anyone is willing: Lose the belt(s) during the tour, but get the belt back at the big show in Sapporo at the end of May or in Yokohama at the end of June). We want as many foreign/outside champs as possible for the big shows in Sapporo on May 29th and in Yokohama on June 21st. Might be possible to cross-promote with the WCCW Parade of Champions or a similar event if one is held this month.

July 1st through 28th: IWGP CLIMAX TOURNAMENT! Month-long tournament climaxing in the crowning of the first ever IWGP Champion (Inoki or Fujinami, most likely) in Tokyo on the 26th and 28th of July. Gaijin wrestlers and outsiders are invited to compete, but we will need almost a full month commitment. Our Juniors will be available for bookings this month, as the tournament will focus mainly on Heavyweight wrestlers.

August 8th through 22nd: Regional Tour, climaxing in Osaka on the 22nd. Gaijin visitors welcome but not necessary. Relaxed schedule should allow us to participate in cards overseas as needed.

August 22nd through 31st: Super Juniors Tournament, climaxing in Tokyo with the crowning of the first ever IWGP Jr. Hwt Champion. We will definitely be looking for gaijin juniors to participate. A good time to book NJPW Heavyweights if you want to.

September 7th through 27th: Now that we have our three IWGP titles. Let’s show them off with three big cards. In Fukuoka on the 9th, in Saitama on the 16th, and in Osaka on the 27th. Gaijin contenders for the IWGP Heavyweight, Tag, and Jr. Hwt titles will all be welcome. They’ll go over a mid-carder on TV before putting over our champ(s) on the big card. Hope to have some of our boys participate in the CMLL Anniversary show this month, if they have one.

October 14th through 28th: Overseas tour, hitting The Philippines, Taiwan, and either Korea or India. Gaijin guests welcome but not necessary.

November 10th through 24th: The calm before the storm. A regional tour with gaijin welcome but not needed, finishing in Tokyo on the 24th with a big card that we could use some guests for. We are hoping to send some representatives to participate in Starrcade if negotiations with the NWA go well.

December 3rd through 23rd: The Road to January 4th Need to solidify big-time contenders for all three titles to build up to the big Tokyo January 4th Show of 1986! Final card of the tour will be in Osaka on the 23rd. Lots of gaijin participation will be needed for the first three weeks of December, peaking in Osaka.

January dates, so I know when to book Canek and Caras and know when I can't.

Did you mean for that to come across as impolite?

It's difficult for me to give exact dates. I have a small company teaching private English lessons, my schedule has to be very flexible. My wife is a professional midwife, so her schedule is nuts. So: My work life and my family life are both impossible to predict most of the time. As such, I never know when I'll have time to write, so I prefer to keep things relatively flexible.

That being said, It's only fair to let people know precise tour dates so that they can schedule around them. Hopefully, it's OK if I end up posting something a day or two ahead of or behind the posted schedule, but just ask everyone to imagine that it fits in the schedule.

Sooooooooo:

January; Big card on the 4th, then January 11-26th or so. Big end-of -tour cards on the 23rd, 24th, and 26th

February 3rd through 27th. Semi-finals and finals on the 25th and 27th. (It's the tag fest. Dos Caras and Canek will have a VERY big role in that. Might need them, specifically, to do some promo work in the days after)

March 8th through 23rd. Big Fukuoka show on the 23rd

April 8th through 26th. Big Tokyo Show on the 26th.

Festival of Champions: May 8th through June 21st. Big Sapporo Show May 29th, Big Yokohama Show June 21st.

IWGP CLIMAX: July 1st through 28th. Semi-finals and Final: June 26th and 28th in Tokyo.

August: 8th through 22nd. Big Osaka Show on the 22nd. Super Juniors Tournament, 22nd through 31st. Finals in Tokyo August 31st.

September 7th through 27th. Big 3 Title Defense shows in Fukuoka on the 9th, Saitama on the 16th, and Osaka on the 27th.

Overseas Tour: October: 14th through 28th. (Canek and Dos Caras can be free all month if you want them).

November 10th through 24th. Big Tokyo Card on the 24th.

December 3rd through 23rd: Road to January 4th. Major Osaka Card on the 23rd.

If these dates conflict with anyone else's Big Shows, freelance dates, or other plans please let me know ASAP and I will be happy to flex things around.

In terms of my writing, I plan to do weekly TV and Monthly Big Card write-ups, but in the flexible first-person narrative style I'm using now. Most likely dates for me to be off by a day or two are the write ups for the big monthly shows. I'll try to do them up early, save them on Word, then post them on the day as much as possible.

January dates, so I know when to book Canek and Caras and know when I can't.

Did you mean for that to come across as impolite?

It's difficult for me to give exact dates. I have a small company teaching private English lessons, my schedule has to be very flexible. My wife is a professional midwife, so her schedule is nuts. So: My work life and my family life are both impossible to predict most of the time. As such, I never know when I'll have time to write, so I prefer to keep things relatively flexible.

That being said, It's only fair to let people know precise tour dates so that they can schedule around them. Hopefully, it's OK if I end up posting something a day or two ahead of or behind the posted schedule, but just ask everyone to imagine that it fits in the schedule.

Sooooooooo:

January; Big card on the 4th, then January 11-26th or so. Big end-of -tour cards on the 23rd, 24th, and 26th

February 3rd through 27th. Semi-finals and finals on the 25th and 27th. (It's the tag fest. Dos Caras and Canek will have a VERY big role in that. Might need them, specifically, to do some promo work in the days after)

March 8th through 23rd. Big Fukuoka show on the 23rd

April 8th through 26th. Big Tokyo Show on the 26th.

Festival of Champions: May 8th through June 21st. Big Sapporo Show May 29th, Big Yokohama Show June 21st.

IWGP CLIMAX: July 1st through 28th. Semi-finals and Final: June 26th and 28th in Tokyo.

August: 8th through 22nd. Big Osaka Show on the 22nd. Super Juniors Tournament, 22nd through 31st. Finals in Tokyo August 31st.

September 7th through 27th. Big 3 Title Defense shows in Fukuoka on the 9th, Saitama on the 16th, and Osaka on the 27th.

Overseas Tour: October: 14th through 28th. (Canek and Dos Caras can be free all month if you want them).

November 10th through 24th. Big Tokyo Card on the 24th.

December 3rd through 26th: Road to January 4th. Major Osaka Card on the 26th.

If these dates conflict with anyone else's Big Shows, freelance dates, or other plans please let me know ASAP and I will be happy to flex things around.

In terms of my writing, I plan to do weekly TV and Monthly Big Card write-ups, but in the flexible first-person narrative style I'm using now. Most likely dates for me to be off by a day or two are the write ups for the big monthly shows. I'll try to do them up early, save them on Word, then post them on the day as much as possible.

No that's perfect.

Sorry, was in a rush and typed it horribly.

What does everybody want to see out of the old stable and solid CMLL?

You'll get maybe 3-4 mask matches a year (I'm thinking like one a quarter) and the slow title defenses (like each title twice a year) as a given.

I'm thinking of a bigger angle with the UWA rudos, but we'll see. Might be too ridiculous for CMLL.

One thing you will get back is the lucha skits! If anybody remembers El Satanico appearing as the King on a chess board or Super Porky dreaming of eating a sandwich, expect a lucha skit on each tv. I hope.

I am willing to work with all. If you need someone, I will send if I can.

That reminds me.

If you have a youngster who you are not ready to push, but you want them working? Send them to Mexico, we'll give them a mask and let them work 8 times or so a week in undercard trios matches. When they are ready to go home, they can lose a mask match and head back to your area with a lot more experience and some good money.

So, two days before the 52nd Anniversary Show in September a 8.0 Earthquake hits Mexico City and the show has to be cancelled the company takes a break for a few weeks, until the building is safe.

Any ruling on what I should do about that?

I think it is your call. In reality you can pick those types of things... I think it does add some realism to the whole realm of things.

So much change coming in 1985!

Welcome to all the territories! Just wanted to throw a quick note in that Mid Atlantic is more than willing to work with everyone with talents. Feel free to message me with requests. I have my spreadsheet ready for the entire 1985, so whenever something comes up, lets talk!