Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

Lawler would be an amazing freelancer. I could see him as a guest attraction with any of the US/Canada rosters. Think of the never-seen dream matches if he became an international gun-for-hire in the Bruiser Brody mode!

Morton and Gibson are over here in Japan until the 27th. I think it's safe to say they will be coming out of the Tag Festival hot. They are great potential freelancers as well. All you need is a bad guy tag team to play them off of. I can imagine them adding some spice to a card for any promotion in this project.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I told you in private, Patrick, just take the time to heal your back, we know you'll be back at 100% ASAP.

As for moving Jerry Lawler & the Rock N' Roll Express as freelancers in 2 weeks, I'm totally cool with that. Those are really neat attractions for everyone involved.

And if Larry & Steve literally just don't show up soon, would it be wise to completely dismantle those rosters and put the top workers on their rosters as free agents before April 1st? If this causes problems, I kept a tab on the rosters after the last draft so I can easily tell you who would be available for the draft you wanted to do on April 1st. Anyway, looking at the rosters, I can safely say that Jerry Lawler & the RRE would do really well as freelancers and the rest could be picked by the others according to their needs.

(And I call dibs on Robert Fuller as soon as he's available) :P

Like I told you in private, Patrick, just take the time to heal your back, we know you'll be back at 100% ASAP.

As for moving Jerry Lawler & the Rock N' Roll Express as freelancers in 2 weeks, I'm totally cool with that. Those are really neat attractions for everyone involved.

And if Larry & Steve literally just don't show up soon, would it be wise to completely dismantle those rosters and put the top workers on their rosters as free agents before April 1st? If this causes problems, I kept a tab on the rosters after the last draft so I can easily tell you who would be available for the draft you wanted to do on April 1st. Anyway, looking at the rosters, I can safely say that Jerry Lawler & the RRE would do really well as freelancers and the rest could be picked by the others according to their needs.

(And I call dibs on Robert Fuller as soon as he's available) :P

As someone who gave up Hercules, John Studd, & The Guerreros to the draft, I wouldn't mind having them all back, but I don't know if that would be "best for business" rather than just putting the entire list into a draft and doing a 5 round pick em to sort things outs. Perhaps round 1 is America only and then Round 2 we randomize it with Japan and Mexico involved. Something along those lines so they still have some dibs on top guys as there is plenty to go around with these rosters.

At this point, we have the 47 roster cap... we could pop it up to 48 a month early to hold the draft on April 1st so everyone gets a "free pick" if you will and then you can fill out your roster with whatever spots you have left.

Perhaps we could do something along the lines of "giving up" someone for the draft in order to get a 6th pick and so on if you want to do a total refresh. Those individuals would have to put put in at the beginning of the draft though and if they are not picked, they would become free agents.

So say for instance I wanted to move Ron Bass and get someone different. I would add him to the draft in order to get an extra pick in the 6th round. Now if Bass was available, I could pick him up, but I would probably be using that pick on someone different. Does that make sense?

Absolutely, sure. Whatever we choose to do will be fine for me. As far as I'm concerned, I was pitching that idea because given the actual size of my territory, despite running mostly Ontario & Quebec, I wanted to keep the roster size relatively small to best fit the reality back then. So, if there's a draft, of course I'll take part in it but I don't see myself pick up more than one talent, maybe a second if someone I really like remains available. Otherwise, my partnership with Mid-Atlantic is more than enough to freshen up my roster once in a while and I can always use freelancers. And especially if we decide to go forward with Jerry Lawler & The Rock N' Roll Express as freelancers, this adds even more options for me.

But yeah, your idea of giving up a roster member to add an additional roster member is a very fair idea!

I really like the idea of adding Lawler to the freelancers list, permanently. He's a "special" talent, like Hansen or Brody. A guy who could go anywhere and make an event feel bigger just by his presence. Not many guys who can fit that role, might be best to take advantage if he becomes available to be used that way.

It also gives this project's "universe" a nice twist that is different from what really happened in the mid 1980s.

I really like the idea of adding Lawler to the freelancers list, permanently. He's a "special" talent, like Hansen or Brody. A guy who could go anywhere and make an event feel bigger just by his presence. Not many guys who can fit that role, might be best to take advantage if he becomes available to be used that way.

It also gives this project's "universe" a nice twist that is different from what really happened in the mid 1980s.

I second that... Lawler to the freelancers is good by me as a permanent move... adds more work for Edgar if he's up to it.

I think we are setting up a win-win situation here. Best case scenario is Larry and Steve come back and someone good steps up to take over AJPW.

"Worst" case scenario is now maybe: Lawler as a freelancer, a draft, tons of new free agents, and a super-promotion in Japan.

Nice work, LowBlow (and everyone else)!

This is probably going to come across as me complaining, but I honestly do not mean it that way. I am legitimately wondering; How is it possible that a thread like my NJPW Tag Fest thread gets over 300 views in a little over three weeks but only three guys (SerEdger, kevin, and LowBlow - and thanks for it) leave comments on it?

Are people clicking on it hoping to read about an actual tag fest from New Japan in 1985? Are dudes worried that we will try to rope them into taking over a promotion if they leave comments? Does it feel pointless and redundant to just say "Nice show"? Are people too considerate to say "This was boring and stupid"?

Obviously, it's not just my threads. All of us get way way way more clicks than comments.

I'm happy people are reading, regardless. I really enjoy writing up shows and tours as a process, so I think I'd keep doing it even with zero feedback. Certainly nobody has any obligation to comment on any thread. I'm just genuinely curious why so few people choose to do so.

To be honest, I don't know. But I'm sure that others like rain, agentoffenton & Grimmas are reading your shows but since they're not always around lately, maybe it gives the feeling that just a few of us comment each other's threads. I know by keeping in touch with him that fenton is recovering from some back issues, thus why he hasn't been around lately.

Perhaps is it that there are only a few people outside this section on the board that enjoys fantasy booking? I don't know and I would admit too that visiting the match sections on this board, there are several old school fans so one would think that we'd see more comments and such. But just like gordi, I always appreciate the comments, along with the constructive feedbacks coming with it when necessary but I would also keep doing it regardless because I love fantasy booking more than a lot of things in the world. I think we're a tight-knit community here, especially in this project, and except for a few hiccups, everyone has gelled very well all around. I would've obviously loved for Memphis, Continental and All-Japan to have worked but I'm sure we'll be able to draw more people to the board eventually to expand the Project.

I know that I have been doing this for over 8 years now and sometimes we get feedback and sometimes we don't and sometimes that sucks. I am thankful for the feedback from everyone who does give it, but I am at the point where I almost write for myself just to tell the story and then if people like it enough to comment, it is a little extra fulfilling. I know people read but don't comment and it just kind of makes me want to do something a little more special for their inclusion down the line.

I really enjoy all the writing that we do here. In fact, I am proctoring an ACT test right now and have written WrestleMania, so now I get to use the hype thread and make it really seem like a big deal.

I wish there was a better way to show that your work is appreciated, but just know that it is and we love to have any and all participate in either booking or comments.

Sort of ironically, I have had almost 50 more clicks but only one more comment since posting this :P

It's cool though. I always appreciate feedback, but there are a couple of other things I enjoy so much about participating in this:

- I get way more out of reading your guys' stuff as a *participant* than I did when I was just an occasional reader. I feel like part of this little world we've created.

- I really don't want to come across as pretentious, but it's really gratifying to have little bursts of inspiration when I'm writing up a show or a match. Like for example coming up with little things to try and make all those tag matches at least a bit different from each other. It's a good feeling when an idea pops into my head when I'm on the bus or something.

- To combine the two: I genuinely get a huge kick now when I read some of the cool ideas you guys come up with, like for example how LowBlow uses the sheets as kind of an unreliable narrator. That's a great idea! Just one of many.