Pro Wrestling Only

Survivor Series 2015 thread

...TG

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So one other thing I'll say here: today I watched the 1987 Slammy Awards for the first time ever. It was maybe the best wrestling show I've seen in months, and it barely has any wrestling in it. But it was just amazing to watch an hour of WWF that was laugh out loud funny, hip, eclectic, self-aware, and a viable part of the zeitgeist of its day. Even at it's corniest, it was 100x more entertaining than anything on tonight's show. All of which is to say: one of the most dire and boring parts of the company right now is that it is all so gravely humorless. Almost zero joy, spontaneity or excitement around anything that happened tonight. The contrast between 40 year old Vince and 70 year old Vince should surprise no one, but it's incredible when compared side-by-side.

Does anybody else see the early seeds of a Shield reunion? I can totally see The Authority pushing Rollins aside to go with Sheamus. Rollins is "weak" and dropped the ball, etc.

And if there's one thing I'm looking forward to for WrestleMania it's Xavier Woods hair. The dude has been going all out on PPV and everyone knows Mania is where everyone brings their best look. I'm expecting something insane like Princess Leia buns or a scale replica of The Alamo.

What confuses me is if the plan was for Reigns to beat Rollins and then head into Mania as champion, why did he...not win? I mean, what, is Reigns only allowed to beat Rollins but not Sheamus? They weren't going to have Sheamus cash in successfully for as long as the plan is Reigns winning tonight and going ahead to Wrestlemania, so what changed?

I don't think anything DID change. I'm pretty sure the Sheamus cash in was part of the plan the whole time, especially if they wanted to do Rollins/HHH at WrestleMania. There is still plenty of time for Roman to win the belt and head into Mania as the champ and their thinking would probably be that Roman getting the title off Sheamus, a guy that really NO ONE wants to see with the belt, would help his babyface reactions.

I wasn't crazy about the ringwork on the show overall. Move, nearfall, move, nearfall, move, nearfall.

Sincere, non-snarky question - would you say this has been a worse in-ring show than most of the other WWE PPVs this year? I feel like most of what I've seen from WWE in 2015 (and,

really, 2014 too) can be described in this way.

I LIKE Roman Reigns though and wish they would have just gone with him at Mania. Is he a great promo? No. But neither was Rollins and we had to sit through months and months of never ending boring ass Rollins talking segments but somehow he got a free pass from the same people hating on Reigns.

I don't think anything DID change. I'm pretty sure the Sheamus cash in was part of the plan the whole time, especially if they wanted to do Rollins/HHH at WrestleMania. There is still plenty of time for Roman to win the belt and head into Mania as the champ and their thinking would probably be that Roman getting the title off Sheamus, a guy that really NO ONE wants to see with the belt, would help his babyface reactions.

No, not really. If the original plan was for Reigns to win in November and then defend the belt at Wrestlemania, then obviously Sheamus wasn't supposed to cash in tonight or any time before Wrestlemania. Rollins would have lost tonight and be free to face Triple H regardless. What I don't understand is if you're right, why would they think having Reigns lose the belt immediately after winning it for the first time in his career, regain it in likely a heatless match at Royal Rumble and be set up as somewhat a lame champion going into the biggest show of the year? This is their future franchise ace we are talking about here. He is one of those cases of "either shit or get off the pot". If they want him to be the champion, why not give him the belt and try to get his momentum going strong on the road to Wrestlemania? I can understand if they wanted to give him an official coronation of becoming their champion at Wrestlemania, but against Sheamus? That doesn't work. Crowning him at the Royal Rumble is actually one of the most anti-climactic things they can possibly do with what should be a key point of this era, with Reigns being the man from here on out. So...either give him the belt now or hold it off til Wrestlemania, and against someone better than Sheamus. There is no in-between option that works. It isn't too late to do the win at Wrestlemania, I guess, but I can't imagine a viable way for Sheamus to lose the belt before Wrestlemania and/or against someone that isn't Reigns but that would be a good choice to lose the belt to Reigns at Wrestlemania. Rollins is out. Cena and Taker are possibly tied up in their matchup. Brock could do it but I definitely don't want to see that match for the second year in a row. Brock/Reigns 2 should probably happen at Summerslam with Reigns defending and selling the story how Reigns actually never beat Brock the first time, so he is still the big mystery threat to Reigns's...reign.

I definitely would have hated if they turned Dean Ambrose heel at Reigns's expense but that would have been much better a story to tell I think, and Ambrose is actually a good choice for a heel champion losing it to Reigns at Wrestlemania. Obviously the fans probably wouldn't have cooperated with the WWE, instead they would cheer Ambrose and boo Reigns, but at the least, the match would have some real heat going for it. Sheamus serves no real function in the story here other than WWE bookers being the Lucy to Reigns's Charlie Brown and the belt their football. The crowd tonight didn't like Reigns but I am confident that he would have gotten some brownie points in respect from them if he successfully squashed Sheamus's attempt to cash in. So essentially to try to get fans behind Reigns, they missed on the very angle that would have done the job. They just like to make millions instead of billions, I guess.

The SMART idea would have been to have Roman beat Sheamus and foil the cash in attempt but why is anyone still expecting WWE to do anything smart? They don't think long term this IS their idea of "smart" booking because now they have a title match for TLC and maybe the Rumble and didn't have to actually do anything to build someone up to that position they just hit the big red "MITB cash in" button to take a barely relevant midcarder into the main event.

Can you even count Bryan's run? He wins the title, and like a guy who has sex in a horror movie was immediately punished by having him and his girlfriend get chased around by Kane while begging for mercy. His whole run was 64 days and he was injured/not wrestling for half of that.

I'd put "heel-dominated" at Summerslam 2013 with the creation of the Authority, which is two years, three months and counting.