Pro Wrestling Only

Mauro Ranallo...

goodhelmet

It's an interesting move by WWE and Mauro. WWE seems to want robots to follow the script and parrot the company line. And if what we've heard about how Vince treats the announcers, does Mauro want to put up with that? Maybe Smackdown is in for some massive reformatting, it's certainly overdue.

I've had a soft spot for Mauro since he would come out on Wrestling Observer Lives in the early 2000's and his PRIDE stuff. His work on Showtime Boxing has been pretty impressive as, I may be totally wrong here, I don't think he was a big time boxing fan growing up. He clearly puts a lot of preparation and work into his broadcasts, and fits well with Al Bernstein and Paulie Malignaggi. He sounds far more comfortable and relaxed with those guys than he ever did with Frank Shamrock and Pat Miletich in his Strikeforce run. Compare Mauro to someone like former WWE play-by-play guy Todd Grisham working the ESPN boxing broadcasts and you can see a huge different in quality.

So I'm glad he will still be able to work those Showtime broadcasts (and the Glory Kickboxing events), and am overall happy he is getting this opportunity. Also, he's a great champion of bringing awareness to mental illness. I hope this WWE gig works out good for him.

Dave says this whole deal happened because Mauro did some joke play-by-play for a fake fight between Mayweather and Warren Buffett on a Berkshire Hathaway conference call. Vince heard it and loved it, which led to them contacting Ranallo. Kind of a comical backwards way for New Japan/Showtime/Glory's announcer to get the gig, but there you go.