Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV, May 16th - May 22nd

fakeplastictrees

I wonder how the company will be viewed in the future by today's youth? It seems as if a lot of the current roster grew up as fans and wanted to do this since they were kids. With so much information out there on how WWE is truly run plus guys walking away rather than working there, will the investment in the product from potential future generations of WWE "Superstars" be even less? Once Vince is gone can HHH correct this issue?

Kudos to Cody for standing up for himself.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was Cody's ceiling? I never really saw him more than a middle of the card kind of guy which is the spot they had him in. I'm not sure putting him back as plain old Cody Rhodes would of changed that. They only have so many spots and with all the new guys they've been bringing in he wasn't a guy they were gonna invest anymore in right now. He's probably better off being gone and see if he can build his name somewhere else then come back down the road possibly. Maybe the landscape will be different and the timing will be better.

What was Cody's ceiling? I never really saw him more than a middle of the card kind of guy which is the spot they had him in. I'm not sure putting him back as plain old Cody Rhodes would of changed that. They only have so many spots and with all the new guys they've been bringing in he wasn't a guy they were gonna invest anymore in right now. He's probably better off being gone and see if he can build his name somewhere else then come back down the road possibly. Maybe the landscape will be different and the timing will be better.

I can't fault him for thinking he was capable of being the top guy and WWE Champion like he said in his statement but I definitely don't think he could have been that high on the card. I agree that his ceiling was definitely IC/Tag Champ and he did pretty good at that level. But there's only so long you can stay around in the middle of the card before you're stale and need to move on.

With all the new talent that's come up lately and are still in NXT waiting to debut, I don't blame WWE for leaving him on Superstars/Main Event. I agree that a change back to regular Cody Rhodes really wouldn't have done much to refresh him or make him someone who deserved a bigger push. It's still a been there/done that kind of thing.

Cody could have been World Champion when the big gold belt was still around. It was a glorified secondary championship that went to the Dolph Zigglers of the world. Without that (and I'm not advocating bringing it back), I-C was probably Cody's ceiling.

Still, you can't help but think they really squandered his major babyface momentum after he was "fired" by the Authority.

Cody could have been World Champion when the big gold belt was still around. It was a glorified secondary championship that went to the Dolph Zigglers of the world. Without that (and I'm not advocating bringing it back), I-C was probably Cody's ceiling.

Still, you can't help but think they really squandered his major babyface momentum after he was "fired" by the Authority.

They used that momentum to give him and Goldust a feud with The Shield and a tag title win. Now the momentum died pretty much as soon as they actually won the belts but I don't think they failed to capitalize on him being hot for a short period of time. The fact that his brother was the one who pretty much carried that feud kind of tells you that was his ceiling though.

I was never a fan of Cody Rhodes. Ever. I always found him boring and if he last name was Jones, he would have been fired a long time ago. The guy is a cream cheese sandwich with the crust cut off. I am glad he stepped out of the box to become Stardust and he had some good moments as that character, but overall this guy was so un-over for a long time and he can blame HHH, the writers, politics, or whatever/whomever he wants to but at the end of the day it all comes down to Cody having a million gimmicks, a million partners, a million title reigns, and in 2016 being one of the most un-over people on the roster. If Zack Ryder is STILL OVER in 2016, then Cody Rhodes (who has been booked way better and again has had more success) has no excuse. This is not a missed opportunity and I say good-riddance.

With all that said, I wouldn't mind if Cody Rhodes popped into TNA. If TNA has been good for anything over the years it has been an awesome redemption place for people. Christian Cage provided he can be a legit main eventer, Steiner proved that if WWE booked him correctly in 2002-2003 he could have been a nice player within the company, and that Kevin Nash could actually get people over and if booked correctly can still be entertaining within a role outside of the WHC picture. I honestly feel that Cody Rhodes will have a lot of people thinking differently if he goes to TNA and has some matches against Lashley, Galloway, Jeff Hardy, etc. You want something Southern? Book Storm vs Rhodes and let the blood flow. Cody really does need a different environment, bookers, etc. at this point as he just didn't get over in WWE for 10 years. The elements are there, but perhaps new chefs are needed?

I think it's presumptuous to say what Cody's ceiling was when he never really came across to me as someone who got the opportunity to cut long promos or strut his stuff in long singles matches.

He got plenty of promo time over the years, long promos too. That we can't assess how good of a wrestler someone is if they don't wrestle in 20+ minute singles matches is a statement I couldn't disagree more with.

Show me these long Cody Rhodes promos. I presume they probably exist, but I've never seen one. And my point there is that I can't recall seeing him in any type of featured match that isn't a tag match or a multi-person match. I never said we can't assess how "good" he is as a worker -- I said without that, we can't say "Oh, this is this wrestler's ceiling" in terms of card placement.

Show me these long Cody Rhodes promos. I presume they probably exist, but I've never seen one. And my point there is that I can't recall seeing him in any type of featured match that isn't a tag match or a multi-person match. I never said we can't assess how "good" he is as a worker -- I said without that, we can't say "Oh, this is this wrestler's ceiling" in terms of card placement.

Place to look is probably his IC title run, August 2011 - May, 2012, including the Show series (he lost it and gained it back), the Christian match at the end, an Orton match, a Morrison match, the Dibiase match. It's still 10-15 minute matches but that, with the Mysterio match, is probably the best you're going to get there. I'm sure someone could dig through the Smackdown matches for that era and find some more. I think there's enough to know.

EDIT: Yeah,that there post after mine.

He cut a lot of long promos in 2011 as Dr Doom Cody.

In fact in those early months, January through April, through the whole Rey Mysterio feud, he cut a lot of great promos. I don't care so much for the later, paper bag stuff, but early mask Cody was great. The first big one he cut after his face was smashed was when I first thought "Damn, this guy can really talk."

In terms of featured matches, he hasn't really had a lot of it for a guy who's been on TV for so long and held IC Titles and stuff. But there's some there, and he's generally quite good when given those kinds of chances. He feuded with Randy for a bit in late 2011 on Smackdown, culminating in a long Street Fight that blew off the masked character. He has the other big match with Randy on Raw in 2013 to kick off the Rhodes/Authority angle. Two big PPV matches with Rey at WM27 and Extreme Rules 2011. There's a PPV match with Christian sometime in 2012. All pretty good stuff. Can't speak much to the Stardust run.

EDIT: Or that.

Cody was also getting singles matches on WrestleMania cards when everybody else at his level was thrown into battle royals and multi-man matches. For the most part they always made sure he had something to do but things never fully clicked for whatever reason. It's unfortunate he was a heel for nearly his entire tenure because he came across as such a natural babyface when he was in that role.

I can't believe he's only 30 years old. He has his entire career ahead of him if he chooses to stay in wrestling.