Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV, May 16th - May 22nd

fakeplastictrees

I don't know about main eventing, but he showed a tremendous speaking ability when not having to deal with WWE writing and deserved a better fate than a gimmick combining the worst of his brother and Santino Marella.

Stardust was HIS idea. And he specifically wanted to stay in it after Dusty died and they approached him about becoming plain ol' Cody again.

I know that, but at some point he had to realize that it was a go-nowhere gimmick. It seems like staying as Stardust probably led to him burning out since WWE obviously didn't have any further plans for the character.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame about Cody, one of my favourite E matches in the last few years was Cody and Goldust tag title win against the Shield, actually the whole little died was fantastic.

Although I don't think he could of been a main event met he did have the ability to draw people in as Cody and could of been a decent upper mid card face/heel. I do wonder what's next for him though?

Stardust was HIS idea. And he specifically wanted to stay in it after Dusty died and they approached him about becoming plain ol' Cody again.

I know that, but at some point he had to realize that it was a go-nowhere gimmick. It seems like staying as Stardust probably led to him burning out since WWE obviously didn't have any further plans for the character.

Why is it a "go-nowhere gimmick"? I don't really understand what that means. It doesn't seem like any more of a "go-nowhere gimmick" than zombie mortician.

Apparently Cody Rhodes is gone from WWE after asking for his release. I'm sure the lies of "he should have been a main eventer!" are already flooding twitter, Wreddit and all the other awful places of the internet.

Oh, I'm sure. Dude didn't do shit for years, just took up space, but because he's leaving now everyone will talk about all the "squandered potential" & all that bullshit. Cody was one of the more worthless characters on the roster IMO. I've been going off about him for a long time. He literally never improved. Stardust Cody today is not any better than Cody Rhodes that teamed with Hardcore Holly years ago, or the Cody that wore the wannabe Dr. Doom mask, or the Cody from Legacy. He's always just been a bland, boring dude.

Why is it a "go-nowhere gimmick"? I don't really understand what that means. It doesn't seem like any more of a "go-nowhere gimmick" than zombie mortician.

A zombie mortician created in 1991 in the midst of an era where nearly everyone had ridiculous gimmicks doesn't quite equate to a wacky spaceman in 2016.

Also said zombie mortician was given programs that allowed him to get over to the point that he was allowed to be more than just a zombie mortician. Cody was never really given much to work with other than be Goldust's wacky brother or team up with prelim guys.

A zombie mortician created in 1991 in the midst of an era where nearly everyone had ridiculous gimmicks doesn't quite equate to a wacky spaceman in 2016.

I read the gimmick as a dominant split personality. That's certainly how it was played during his feud with Goldust. I don't see where you're getting "wacky spaceman" from.

Also said zombie mortician was given programs that allowed him to get over to the point that he was allowed to be more than just a zombie mortician. Cody was never really given much to work with other than be Goldust's wacky brother or team up with prelim guys.

And you think he'd be given more opportunities if he reverted to his old character? Otherwise, I don't see how his gimmick was hurting him.

I think Cody was pretty underrated.

He carried the Legacy team with DiBiase and, when Legacy was involved in six-mans, was probably the most dynamic guy on his team based on the matches I recall.

I liked the feud and matches with Rey. Their WM23 is one of the few matches from that card I remember liking.

The Rhodes Scholars was a fine team, not great but not horrid, and led to a pretty good feud with Sandow that I liked more than any of the Stardust storylines save one (more on that below).

Then there was the TV feud with the Authority that I just loved and I think really showcased Cody's range and potential. Great sympathetic babyface work out of the Rhodes family there and it just felt "realer" than most other storylines going at that time or today.

I wasn't a huge fan of the tag team with Goldust because it was never clear, as it went on into 2014 and 2015 if they were heels or faces. I'm a huge Dustin fan, but the "tween" position was such a waste of a guy so good at getting crowd reactions one way or the other. Their teaming did lead to a Goldust/Stardust match last year that most people hated but I thought was one of the top 20 (maybe even 10) WWE matches of the year (I think it was on Fastlane).

I read the gimmick as a dominant split personality. That's certainly how it was played during his feud with Goldust. I don't see where you're getting "wacky spaceman" from.

And you think he'd be given more opportunities if he reverted to his old character? Otherwise, I don't see how his gimmick was hurting him.

He goes around calling himself the Cosmic King and gives wacky speeches about the far reaches of the galaxy. Seemed like a "wacky spaceman" to me.

Sure at first it was being played up as a dominant split personality, but once Goldust wasn't around he was portrayed as more of a low rent comic book villain than anything else.

Would he have had more opportunities in a different character? Considering the realities of WWE once they slot you as a low card guy, probably not. But they clearly had nothing more for him in the Stardust gimmick so why not try something different? Worst case he's in the same phantom zone he was in as Stardust.

Zombie mortician though morphed into a medieval bad ass, satan worshipper, biker, and finally back to medieval bad ass with some cowboy gunslinger and MMA fighter tweaks to the look.

Cody had a decent look, and seemed to have some spark at the beginning. Hard to think of a memorable singles match he had though, and for someone featured prominently in the company for over a decade that is appalling. The tag matches with The Shield were pretty special, though.

He won't be hugely missed. Hard to see where his role on the card could be moving forward, since he isn't a workrate midcarder who can make people look good, and doesn't have the size to be a monster or the athleticism to be a flyer, he doesn't excel on the mic or at comedy. He didn't fit any niche really. Hanging around in various teams as a useful tag worker is as good as it was going to get. Perhaps he should have joined forces with Randy Orton again as the Hollywood Blands.

Seems like someone who could have been really over in another era as a white meat underdog or a blowjob babyface.

On an unrelated note the main event on Smackdown was very well booked and delivered. Decent match, too.

I've always had a soft spot for Cody and I think he's a tremendous tag worker; the issue is that he was so married to Stardust and it was never, ever, getting over. I'd love a Cody Rhodes southern indie run since I do believe he's got a natural talent for pro wrestling, it's just he was always stuck on the WWE presentation side of things.I hope we see him against Jimmy Rave

apparently Sasha has a "significant" head injury that she sustained at a house show last week. Feel so bad for her. Have to think if she isn't better in a month or two they are going to to Charlotte/Steph at Summerslam. Unless they call Bayley up or something

I always remember that public relations survey that WWE did maybe four years ago in which they asked non-fans who they considered to be the best looking of the various workers. It was a smart thing to do, but as is the case with a lot of corporations, WWE reacted poorly when they realized the results contradicted their own views/weren't to their liking. To the surprise of the company, Cody won. (Maybe not surprising then that he could pull Eden, but still.) This result led to the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick and eventual supervillain face mask. Point being that regardless of the Stardust gimmick and who liked it, Vince and co. get really creepy and weird whenever any other guy is deemed attractive or has success with women.

It would be unfair speculation to say if/how Dusty's death plays into any of this, but you have to wonder if his passing may have changed Cody's view on the business in some fashion. Also, Meltzer tacks onto the end of his bulletin on this that this may all just be an angle, which seems pretty odd.

I always remember that public relations survey that WWE did maybe four years ago in which they asked non-fans who they considered to be the best looking of the various workers. It was a smart thing to do, but as is the case with a lot of corporations, WWE reacted poorly when they realized the results contradicted their own views/weren't to their liking. To the surprise of the company, Cody won. (Maybe not surprising then that he could pull Eden, but still.) This result led to the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick and eventual supervillain face mask. Point being that regardless of the Stardust gimmick and who liked it, Vince and co. get really creepy and weird whenever any other guy is deemed attractive or has success with women.

It would be unfair speculation to say if/how Dusty's death plays into any of this, but you have to wonder if his passing may have changed Cody's view on the business in some fashion. Also, Meltzer tacks onto the end of his bulletin on this that this may all just be an angle, which seems pretty odd.

With all the times Meltzer has been played in recent years, wouldn't surprise me if he thinks that about everyhing, even if there are official documents and everything.

I thought the "Dashing" gimmick was really the best stuff Cody ever did. It wasn't really a gimmick that had main event potential but it could have been a strong mid-card character for a year or two. I could have even seen him get more and more vain to the point of wearing makeup and morphing into a modern day version of Adorable Adrian Adonis.

Unfortunately they cut the Dashing gimmick short so that Cody could cosplay as Dr. Doom in what I feel is some of the worst shit I've ever seen on WWE TV. Yea I realize he gave 100% in the role but it was a shitty role and everyone keeps acting like him working hard to get it over made it good. No one gives Boogeyman the same benefit of the doubt and I'd take Boogeyman over stupid plastic mask Cody any day.

Maybe he's talking about people speculating about his wife and/or brother leaving with him or maybe the reasons why he wanted to leave. The story about him being released is due to him tweeting that he asked for it so I doubt he's talking about the release itself.

Pretty scathing critique of the head writers by Cody, saying one wants to be Brian Gewirtz and the other hits on developmental divas. Plus a great jab at Vince with the comment that he felt he had a whole bag of brass rings and nowhere to cash them in.

Cody just issued a statement on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PrinceCGR/status/734501299337584641. Goes pretty hard on the writers, claims he's been pitching to go back to regular Cody Rhodes for 6 months with no luck. If true, good for him for standing up for himself and quitting.

The New Day members said the sa

Pretty scathing critique of the head writers by Cody, saying one wants to be Brian Gewirtz and the other hits on developmental divas. Plus a great jab at Vince with the comment that he felt he had a whole bag of brass rings and nowhere to cash them in.

The New Day members and Ryback said the same thing about grabing the ring before the Vince Podcast so....