Pro Wrestling Only

What are your favorite "very good" (***1/2 - ****) matches?

Loss

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's two sick beat downs where I can't go over ****1/4:

Ole Anderson vs. Precious Paul Ellering (Lights Out Steel Cage Match 10/23/1983)

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs. Steve Corino (ECW Hardcore Heaven 5/14/2000)

That Tajiri/Corino match is absolutely brutal (in a good way) where the heel Corino is basically turned face because of the sympathy from a crowd seemingly genuinely fearful of his long term health. A great shout for this topic, as I would struggle to call it a 'great match' per se (I do think it's very good mind) but a real visceral spectacle. Watching it, Tajiri really should have been pushed into the main event in ECW in 2000. Him dishing out punishment versus an unstoppable monster Rhino on top would've been a great rivalry if the company had lasted.

Bringing up Rhino, and I have a feeling I'll be alone in these, but he had a pair of better-than-should-be TV title defenses at the end of 2000. The match with RVD was a solid *** that cemented Rhino as a top guy in ECW, and I'll even say that the match with New Jack was a masterpiece given the talent involved.

Juvy vs. Bltizkrieg and Benoit/Malenko vs. Raven/Saturn from Spring Stampede '99 deserve to be mentioned.

Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty from Backlash 2000 is still really fun.

I find that I enjoy early 90s Cactus Jack matches more these days. None of them are technically great, but Foley brings something every single time that makes them really entertaining.

I'd try to name some Randy Savage, Rey Mysterio, or DDP matches, but they all pretty much have too many to narrow down.

Here's two sick beat downs where I can't go over ****1/4:

Ole Anderson vs. Precious Paul Ellering (Lights Out Steel Cage Match 10/23/1983)

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs. Steve Corino (ECW Hardcore Heaven 5/14/2000)

That Tajiri/Corino match is absolutely brutal (in a good way) where the heel Corino is basically turned face because of the sympathy from a crowd seemingly genuinely fearful of his long term health. A great shout for this topic, as I would struggle to call it a 'great match' per se (I do think it's very good mind) but a real visceral spectacle. Watching it, Tajiri really should have been pushed into the main event in ECW in 2000. Him dishing out punishment versus an unstoppable monster Rhino on top would've been a great rivalry if the company had lasted.

Similar sentiment for the Corino match with Jerry Lynn at Heatwave (the one where Lynn writes DIE in Corino's blood on his chest). Corino's match against Justin Credible at the Hammerstein in August would also fit this thread.

On an ECW note - the Dudleys-Balls/Spike matches from the summer of '99 are probably a little too repetitive to go over ****, but damn are they relentlessly entertaining.

Hit up my own database for a few that I thought were particularly good, but not quite great...

- Chris Benoit vs. Meng (Slamboree 97')

- Bayley vs. Nia Jax (NXT Takeover: London)

- Brock Lesnar vs. Test (King of the Ring 2002)*

- Cobra vs. Sgt. Pittman (Fall Brawl 95')**

- Austin vs. Steamboat (Clash of the Champions XXVIII)

- Vader vs. Bossman (both 94' PPV matches)***

* I haven't watched enough Test nor do I want to watch enough Test to judge if this is the best match he's ever been a part of, but I'm going to go ahead and say its the best Test match I've ever seen.

** This is one of those matches that is so bad that it is tremendously entertaining. I mean, it is just batshit crazy to the point that one has to wonder who came up with the sequences involved. A desert island Wrestlecrap match.

*** Great chemistry. Matches I strongly recommend to my friends because, though PWOers might be very familiar with Bossman and Vader, moderate-level fans don't necessarily know them aside from their respective "peak" years or top-shelf, most highly publicized matches.

Pre-Nitro WCW has tonnes for me. Let's see:

Arn & Tully vs The Road Warriors (26/11/87, Starrcade)

Arn & Tully vs Barry Windham & Lex Luger (27/03/88, Clash of the Champions I)

The Steiners vs Doom (19/05/90, Capital Combat)

The Steiners vs The Nasty Boys (27/10/90, Halloween Havoc)

Arn Anderson & Barry Windham vs Doom (16/12/90, Starrcade)

Arn Anderson vs Bobby Eaton (19/05/91, SuperBrawl)

Arn Anderson vs Steven Regal (20/02/94, SuperBrawl)

Vader vs Boss Man (17/2/94, Spring Stampede)

Ric Flair vs Steven Regal (28/5/94, WCW WorldWide)

Steven Regal vs Ric Flair (28/5/94, WCW Saturday Night)

I love "fat guy" wrestlers and big lugs who have plenty of fun stuff in this range too:

"Crusher" Jerry Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie vs. High Flyers (18/4/82)

"Crusher" Jerry Blackwell & Ken Patera vs. High Flyers (24/11/83)

"Crusher" Jerry Blackwell & Ken Patera vs. Blackjack Mulligan & Jerry Lawler (4/3/84)
"Crusher" Jerry Blackwell & King Kong Bundy vs. The Road Warriors (22/11/84)

Hulk Hogan vs Earthquake (27/8/90, SummerSlam)

Steve Williams vs Bam Bam Bigelow (9/6/91, UWF Beach Brawl)

Most of Bam Bam Bigelow's matches in NJPW

John Tenta & King Haku vs The Barbarian & Tony Halme (17/6/93, WAR 1st Anniversary Of Revolution)

Sting vs Avalanche (27/4/94, Starrcade)

These matches are generally too short, suffer from a weak finish or lack psychology on display, or are too spotty to be MOTY-worthy, but are still pretty damn good.

"Crusher" Jerry Blackwell

-MX vs. Morton/Rich from Havoc '90. Just such a classic pair of performances from Bobby & Ricky, even if the match itself isn't great.

-Enos vs. Jericho from Nitro in 9/96. Impossible to not love this match, and it is infinitely rewatchable. Sub-8 minute match with multiple callback spots and two dudes just sprinting through hoops. Mike Enos deserved so much more.

-Pantera vs. TAKA from No Way Out '98. It doesn't have the absurd heat or the sense of distinct super-gifted underdog face/cocky asshole heel dynamic that my BELOVED BC-TAKA match from December '97 has (which is a GREAT match to me), but there's still some great spots and general work, and fantastic babyface selling from TAKA.

-Hashimoto/Otsuka vs. Misawa/Ogawa from 21st Century. What a group to just watch interact. I love puro god-and-general tags.

-Bryangun vs. The Shield handicap elimination match from RAW in 9/13. Amazing heat, great booking story of babyface camaraderie that can't beat the Shield's incredible teamwork until they have the tables turned on them, just a completely unique match.

-Kana vs. Satomura from Kana's show in 2/14. Not a great match, but a completely wonderful one.

-HARASHIMA/Ohka vs. Komatsu/Tanahashi from Muscle Mates 2015. I kinda love Heel Tana.

Pre-1989: Lizmark/Atlantis vs El Faraon/El Egipcio

1989: Ciclon Ramirez/Huracan Ramirez II/Super Muñeco vs Pirata Morgan/Hombre Bala/Emilio Charles Jr.

1990: Aguila Solitaria/Remo Banda vs Comando Ruso/Leon Chino

1991: Centurion Negro/Black Magic/Panterita del Ring vs Negro Casas/Cien Caras/Arandu

1992: Hijo del Solitario/Blue Demon Jr./Huracan Sevilla vs Bestia Salvaje/La Fiera/Jerry Estrada (January 24)

1993: Lizmark vs Satanico

1994: Javier Cruz/Mogur/Cachorro Mendoza vs Halcon Negro/Felino/Arkangel

1995: I'm struggling

I chose just one for everything before 1989 because of how rare TV shows from those years are. It feels wrong to pick a one on one match for "favorite not great matches" but there are not many three on threes from that year that left me thinking "That was as good as it could possibly have been." I couldn't think of anything for 1995, so that's where I gave up.

First match that came to mind was Barry Windham vs 2 Cold Scorpio from COTC.

I think that a lot of people have that closer to GREAT than I do, but I'd totally agree. Awesome match that's just below MOTYC to me.

Brother Shoe pointing to Matt Borne's Doink run reminds me of the wonderful Doink-Jannetty 2/3 falls match from 7/93. Jannetty, as the RAW MVP for its first year, is lousy with these level of matches. Awesome title defense against Bigelow, excellent match later in the year against Waltman. The Michaels matches. And then 12 years later he has the minor classic with Angle on SD.

Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show (05/18/2003) – the lone bright spot on a horrific PPV, these guys always had great chemistry and this stretcher match has some really innovative spots and is great fun

Not a fan of the Eddyjiri-Team Angle match? I love that match, I think that it's woefully underrated, even if that era was oversaturated with ladder matches. Some brutal spots, a masterful Guerrero performance, and a fantastic finish. I actually have it as GREAT.

The Eddyjiri-Team Angle TV matches all easily qualify for this thread.

Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show (05/18/2003) – the lone bright spot on a horrific PPV, these guys always had great chemistry and this stretcher match has some really innovative spots and is great fun

Not a fan of the Eddyjiri-Team Angle match? I love that match, I think that it's woefully underrated, even if that era was oversaturated with ladder matches. Some brutal spots, a masterful Guerrero performance, and a fantastic finish. I actually have it as GREAT.

The Eddyjiri-Team Angle TV matches all easily qualify for this thread.

Ah, you're right - completely forgot about that match! It's a pretty good one, although I'm not quite as high on it as you. From memory think there are some rough spots from Benjaim and Haas who look a bit out of their element with the ladders...although in an art imitating life way, that kind of works well with the story of the match where two amateur wrestlers are out of their comfort zone. I enjoy the straight tag matches on Smackdown the two teams had a lot, particularly the one where Team Angle (actually think they are going by the TWGTT name by that point) win the belts back and then Eddie destroys Tajiri in a sick beat down on the low rider. Good shouts here though!