Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

WWE invested 20+ million dollars into this service, so I doubt this is a thing.

If you believe Meltzer, the WWE's investment gave them no controlling interest and they had no idea this was coming. Given the porous nature of the wrestling business, that does seem a bit hard to believe.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my least favorite dudes to listen to is Bill Watts. Dude always sound so bored with his own product, and he'd openly shit on the talent or point out their mistakes, while being far more interested in talking about their non-wrestling achievements than wrestling qualities. He really harms the quality of MS shows for me. Which is sad, because Mid South is probably the best territory to pick a random TV episode and watch outside of him.

Other guys I'd put on my list of all time terrible commentators lower than Ed:

Mark Madden

Lord Alfred Hayes

Mark Madden

Mark Madden

Dok Hendrix

Rob Bartlett (can you believe Vince stuck with him for as long as he did?)

Mike Tenay

Mark Madden

Jerry Lawler for all but like the first year of his WWF run

Mark Madden

Fuck Mark Madden. What a sack of shit he was. And is.

I have to disagree with two of these.

Yes, I agree: fuck Lawler, fuck Madden, fuck Tenay, fuck Dok Hendrix even, but I have to stick up for Lord Al a little bit. He makes MANY an undercard match more enjoyable. I watched this match a couple of nights back and it was genuinely one of the highlights of my week:

I feel like Mooney and Lord Al are the only commentary team in WWF history who could legit carry an 8-minute match with virtually nothing but cheesy cat puns. Gotta be a place in the world for that!

----

The second defence, and more serious, is that I legitimately think Bill Watts is one of the very best announcers for getting over angles, stories, and psychology, and I think him criticising the odd leg not being hooked or pointing out a mistake is a decent price to pay for that.

I don't really get that knock on commentators in general, real sports commentators point out mistakes all the time, so the school of old-school wrestling announcers who did that were doing a great job of maintaining the illusion of a legit contest if you ask me.

PS. Loved the Dory gifs! :)

Am I the only person who actually played with my Hasbros instead of putting them on a shelf? I have a drawer full of them in disgusting condition, my Undertaker lost his hand,my Doink lost 3 fingers,Bushwhacker Luke is missing with just his cap left as a reminder and Damian has his tail bitten off by me presumably.

I played with mine all the time. Royal Rumbles with fifty action figures. I remember being at a market with my grandparents when I was a kid and I came across a stall selling Rick Rude, Demolition and Akeem and I freaked. I didn't even know there were figures made of those guys. That was a great day.

My brother got a bunch of the newer, super-detailed ones like the Classics series. There's a couple suitcases full of my old ones and the ones my brother had sitting in the spare room at my mother's house.

I feel like Mooney and Lord Al are the only commentary team in WWF history who could legit carry an 8-minute match with virtually nothing but cheesy cat puns. Gotta be a place in the world for that!

One of the greatest commentary teams of all time, and I'm not even joking.

Invasion 92 is so great and I wish it was online

This thing seems DOA to me. Why would companies who are making a profit selling their shows at $15-20 a pop want to be part of a service that is $20 total for a bunch of different groups without the kind of exposure they'd get for doing the same on WWE Network? No one signing up for this is going to be unfamiliar with most of the promotions, so they're just able to watch the same content for cheaper.

This is why I don't understand the "price of indie wrestling is skyrocketing" comment, because when this fails, how are you going to convince people who were paying $20 a month for your shows plus 30 other shows to pay $20 for one show again? In the very short term it could get some guys some money, but ultimately seems like it'd have a negative impact once it shuts down.

Subscribing to New Japan World was really, really, really easy.

Some people have trouble with the simplest of tech tasks so mileage always varies on these things. I seem to recall people complaining to Meltzer on twitter about how hard it was to use the site.
Dave also said they would have English menus eventually. I never subbed for that reason. No apps, no English menus, etc. If numbers are that low, they probably never will.

They do have English menus. And an app.

NJPW World does? Where? It's a mess. I must have missed the Roku app rollout, as well.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/wwf-videos/2016/6/18/wwf-invasion-1992

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/wwf-videos/2016/6/18/wwf-invasion-1992

You wonderful human being

Quick questions:

1) It was said in 96 that WCW was getting gimmick names cleared for the Outsiders before they just went with their real names. Did it ever come out what the gimmick names were?

2) What was the deal with a proposed HBK-Savage program in 93? I remember reading that Shawn was pissed that it didn't happen.

For the HBK/Savage thing, the rumor is that Macho came up with like a 2 year plan to feud with HBK eventually ending with HBK beating him at WM 10, but Vince shot it down because he thought having Macho in such a prominent spot while pushing the New Generation didn't make sense.

Quick questions:

1) It was said in 96 that WCW was getting gimmick names cleared for the Outsiders before they just went with their real names. Did it ever come out what the gimmick names were?

On the Legends of Wrestling show with JBL on WWE Network, Scott Hall said he was going to be Laser. :D

Did the US ever get the WWF Fab Four Special? It was a series of sitdown interviews with Bret,Shawn,Bulldog and Undertaker before One Night Only in 97 which were slighty out of character and really different than anything else WWF ever did before then

Can only find Undertaker's online

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ftref