Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 3/27 - 4/2

stro

How would you book Roman/Taker?

I think Roman needs to completely annihilate him. If they want a "star making moment" I think that's the way to go. Then sit back and watch the internet explode.

I don't think Taker really has enough left in the tank to have some kind of "epic" match, it's why I'm not even slightly upset they aren't doing Cena vs. Taker. I don't think that match can possibly live up to the hype. So if it were up to me I would also have Roman just run right over Taker. People are going to bitch and moan even if he wins a close match so just go all the way with way it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you book Roman/Taker?

I think Roman needs to completely annihilate him. If they want a "star making moment" I think that's the way to go. Then sit back and watch the internet explode.

Reigns should go over after a competitive match. Ideally he hits his big moves cleanly, fails to put Taker away and resorts to heel tactics for the win to cement a turn. Whether that's Shield assistance, a call back to Austin's chair shots at 17 or something similar, I believe that's the most effective outcome here. But apparently the plan is to maintain him as a face in building towards next year. At least as things are penciled in now.

I'm hoping Kane comes out and joins with Roman as his new manager as a heel.

I skipped Raw, but I did see the Taker/Roman segment. Roman's promo was dope. Taker's on tron promo was hilariously bad, made sure to get in the WM tag line, and he looked like he was the shrunken head guy from Beetlejuice.

I haven't seen the show, but I don't know that I could ever confuse Taker for the shrunken head guy. The Deadman's got a forehead the size of a mini-fridge.

132_RAW_03272017mm_1052--dc8d435c5a3b4c9

Add me in as just wanting Reigns/Taker to be a demolition by Roman. Fairly interested in the show and think it'll be good, and if not there's stil a few matches that I wouldn't be surprised tilt into "so bad it's good" territory so I should be entertained anyway.

The funny thing in all this is that in 2011, Miz and Cena had a Wrestlemania main event, where the build consisted of Cena and Rock cutting megastar promos on each other while Miz stood around looking like a child, and then they whiffed on the match.

Now in 2017, Miz and Cena are having a midcard mixed tag match at Wrestlemania, where the build has consisted of Miz and Cena cutting main event level promos on each other and Miz looking like he belongs on top more than any point in his career up until now.

Like, just from watching what's happening on SD, it just boggles the mind that all of this isn't building towards the SD main event WWE Title match at Mania. These promos are killer, straight up murderous, and it's all in aid of a midcard mixed tag that in itself is just window dressing for a post-match Wrestlemania Moment ™ proposal.

When Miz got serious at the end of Total Bullshit I thought Cena was dead. Like, he had literally killed him remotely via a promo and Mania weekend became about John Cena's tragic passing. Miz and Maryse's whole deal has just annihilated Cena and Nikki, almost to the point of permanently damaging their characters I think. And then, Cena comes out and gets real and pours gasoline on Miz and Maryse, lights them on fire and burns them to a fucking crisp where they sit. He didn't just kill them he fucking immolated them. Holy fucking shit.

That's the great thing about Cena, he's such a great promo when it counts that he's perfectly happy for heels to cut the most brutal promos possible on him in aid of a feud. He's an easy target and you watch the heel go nuts and think "man he just destroyed Cena with that promo" and just when you think that it's over, Cena makes his response and gets all serious and gangster and takes them to school, and you remember that he's John Fucking Cena.

It's the promo equivalent of a wrestler being willing to sell and sell and sell his ass off during the heat because he knows once he makes his comeback he can give it all back and then some.

So yeah. Why is this not the main event.

Taker/Roman SHOULD be the main event. For various reasons. 1 being this is probably (hopefully) Taker's last match. 2 being it has the most heat of anything in arenas and online. When you look at the hits from all the main feuds on just Youtube, the Roman/Taker segment from Raw has 1-3 million more hits than all the other main feuds.

By pretty much all metrics, Roman vs Taker is the match that has the most interest, so it should end the show, imo.

Coronation at 31 by...getting pinned in the main event and not getting the title until November. Duh. I don't think people understand what the word means. If he already had his coronation, he can't get another one. And then another one. And then another one. He's already there. It's just being a main eventer once it happens.

Okay well that's not a coronation. He's already had that. Main eventing WM again just means he's a main eventer. You know, because he already had his coronation as a top guy. That's like saying Hogan was still having coronations up to WM 9. Top guys tend to headline a lot. At the top of the cards. Also sometimes known as the main event.

They weren't trying to convince fans 3-4 years in Hogan was the top guy though. They didn't have to of course because he's Hulk Fucking Hogan and was over at the level he was pushed at.

Bottom line is Roman's not over at the level they want him to be, despite the fact he's improved greatly the last few years. Call it pushback against what the company wants, or butthurt over Daniel Bryan, but the harsh reality is he's just not THE GUY no matter how hard Vince's boner for him is. It's even more exasperating when there's a clear opportunity to change direction with a heel turn that might end up making them even more money than they are now with the guy, but they keep fucking that chicken.

They definitely aren't and you have HHH and Roman doing interviews in the media about this over and over saying as much. By this logic, John Cena was never over as a babyface or main eventer. I don't know why smart fans refuse to understand that he's booked just like Cena but with more of an edge and intentionally trolling that specific part of the audience. This is why they constantly put him in situations where they know he's going to get booed and then talk about how great the crowds are for speaking their mind about him.

Yet people think they're standing up to the man by booing him not realizing WWE encourages it just like they do with Cena.

They definitely aren't and you have HHH and Roman doing interviews in the media about this over and over saying as much. By this logic, John Cena was never over as a babyface or main eventer. I don't know why smart fans refuse to understand that he's booked just like Cena but with more of an edge and intentionally trolling that specific part of the audience. This is why they constantly put him in situations where they know he's going to get booed and then talk about how great the crowds are for speaking their mind about him.

Yet people think they're standing up to the man by booing him not realizing WWE encourages it just like they do with Cena.

Because generally the fans that go out of their way to proudly wear that "smart fan" label and shit on "casuals" who go to house shows and buy Cena & Reigns merchandise are generally the dumbest fans of all.

I understand what people mean by the repeated coronations in the sense that he's never had that dominant championship run that most top guys get at one point or another.

However, it's pretty clear that his booking is designed to get the reaction it receives and he's been really great on TV over the last few months. It is a hilarious irony that the segment of fans who think they're so much smarter than the average are the easiest portion of the audience to work.

Anyway, to continue my stream of consciousness about the Cena thing, my other main thought about it is...what is this really leading to?

Yes, the proposal. And we know in real life that the two of them have worked this out already and this is just a way of doing it publicly, but if you don't know any better and just follow along with the TV, it will look for all the world as though Cena is only proposing to his girlfriend because The Miz has goaded him into it. I think the idea of having this moment at Mania is nice, I guess, but in reality it will either come across as a boring foregone conclusion for those in the know, or as Cena being worn down into being tied down.

The problem is that Cena and Nikki just aren't likeable as a couple, and there's really nothing they can do on TV to make them likeable, because we know from Total Divas that this is just how they are. Cena is a robot. Nikki is plastic. And together, their relationship is fascinating as reality show bait, but they're not a couple that you want to root for. They do nothing to help this on TV by having Cena hog the mic time, slap her ass and give her those weird head kisses. When he's treating her like an accessory while they're standing across from a clearly genuine couple in Miz and Maryse, it doesn't paint them in the best light.

A part of me keeps thinking that the better pro wrestling angle would be for Cena to finally relent and propose only for Nikki to kick him in the balls and dump him and ride off into the sunset as a megaheel, Trish at WMXX style. But the problem with that (apart from them being a real couple with their own show and nobody would believe it) is that...would Nikki be the heel? The Mania crowd would sure as shit cheer the hell out of her turning on Cena. And I'm not far behind. I know feminist isn't a huge wrestling crowd demographic unless actual women's wrestling is involved, but like...Miz is right. From everything we've seen about their lives, Cena treats her super strangely. He made her sign a contract to move in on the off chance she turned into a gold digger, he makes her follow strict house rules like she's a tenant, he appears almost inhumanly indifferent when she flirts with other guys or talks about leaving him. He has always steadfastly refused to consider her dearest wishes of getting married and having kids. Nikki has given up or compromised her own goals and wishes to conform to his life at every turn, and at every turn he does all he can to protect himself and not have to move an inch in her direction. Again, it's a fascinating look at how a super rich famous guy approaches dating when his no. 1 priority is total self preservation, but it doesn't seem like the most healthy relationship. It's certainly not an equal one.

And so the idea of Nikki kicking him to the curb really isn't all that unreasonable, come to think of it. If it was a pure pro wrestling angle and not a real life thing, it's exactly the finish I'd book, just totally redo Trish and Jericho. But alas, this is a real life thing, real life relationships are weird, and we're going to have our weird, unlikeable "babyface" couple getting engaged and probably getting booed out of the building. And I mean, they're not going to get any more likeable once they get engaged.

I guess it's good that at least one match on this card is making me think, even if all I'm doing is judging these people's semi fake relationship.