Pro Wrestling Only

PTBN GWWE

soup23

Over at PTBN, we are starting the process of discussing and ranking the Greatest Wrestler Ever for WWE. The span of time we are going for is from 1953 - current day and we are asking for lists in the top 100.

Below is a link to the facebook discussion forum as well as the rules. For me personally, this will be an interesting list because of how much weight I'll give to the workrate quotient considering the recent tendency for WWE to have really good workrate output. You think about someone like Steve Austin and the amount of ****+ matches he had in WWF and it really may not be as many as someone like say Roman Reigns by this point. How much do I weight that?

Will gladly be happy for any PWOers to jump into the discussion which kicked off last night and surprised me with the interaction and quality.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/498288050516643/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11_CDj7NYjZiiK2lobC-FZKPE8rFiEf0NB-6DO4vOpE0/edit

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, we are updating the list of nominees and the rules on a google doc, so the info is out there. You can work off that and absolutely submit a list even without joining the FB group, you would just miss the discussion.

One option is to create a dummy FB account as well if you want to just be part of this under a pseudonym.

I'm debating whether or not to participate. My biggest WWE gaps are from when WWE was actually really good. I just kinda want Rey Jr to get another #1 vote. :)

Well, ok. Back down the rabbit hole I go.

I wanted to point out that Kofi Kingston made your top 35 WWE wrestlers in GWE. With an extra 18 months can Kofi crack the top 30??? :)

I'm debating whether or not to participate. My biggest WWE gaps are from when WWE was actually really good. I just kinda want Rey Jr to get another #1 vote. :)

Well, ok. Back down the rabbit hole I go.

I wanted to point out that Kofi Kingston made your top 35 WWE wrestlers in GWE. With an extra 18 months can Kofi crack the top 30??? :)

Why stop there??

Mostly I'm wondering just how high I will put Layla.

You should definitely get into it though. Rey needs you!

1. Rey Jr

2. Randy Savage

3. Terry Funk/Chainsaw Charlie

4. Sasha Banks

5. Wasn't Perro Aguayo in a Royal Rumble once?

:)

But seriously, I did have a question about criteria. Should I view them as equal, or is it acceptable if I put more emphasis on say Longevity or Memorable Peak Matches than I do Promo Skills?

Additionally, one question about Non-Wrestlers. The Rules in regards to Non Wrestlers Say:

"Non wrestlers ARE eligible if nominated, but you should score and rank them accordingly with the NJPW system, specifically when it comes to workrate or matches"

and

"However, only on screen performance should be considered. Time spent as a booker, trainer, coach or agent should NOT be factored in."

I was wondering about commentary? Should I be thinking about the 1992 Royal Rumble when considering Bobby Heenan for example?

Yes commentary counts because that is on screen. Basically if you want to rank non wrestler performers, just be prepared to know they get a 0 when scoring their "workrate".

I don't think you have to score everything evenly, the NJPW system is more of a guide to ensure everyone is factoring in the same criteria and not all over the place. So if you feel one should be weighted more and are consistent with it, I think that works fine too. The issue comes in where someone starts bringing in factors beyond that (like drawing, etc.).

Hope you join in!

Seems both challenging and fun.

Top 2 for me is easy

1. Shawn Michaels

2. Bret Hart

Both guys are insanely underrated in the PWO/WKO circles and are subject to, what I feel are, a lot of unfair and wildly exaggerated criticisms.

3-100 is not so straight forward.

Is there a particular forum for the final list submission?

A couple of key changes that have been included to the updated rules document.

1. We have made the determination to not include strictly on air characters that never wrestled. This resulted in the removal of Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart, Grand Wizard and Miss Elizabeth from the nominations list. Our reasoning is since we are asking people to use the NJPW system and W stands for workrate, it was unfair to accurately these candidates by that same criteria since they never wrestled. By the same token, if you include the above then Gene Okerlund, Howard Finkel etc should be in consideration.

2. We have also decided that commentary is not a part of the process when judging such candidates like Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura, Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler. Please keep that in mind when arguing their cases.