Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Extreme Rules 2018

Richeyedwards

Hulk Hogan back in the WWE hall of fame after a "3 year suspension" apparently racism has a three year half life.

https://www.wwe.com/article/hulk-hogan-reinstated-into-wwe-hall-of-fame?sf193730743=1

Will he turn up on the PPV/network special? In a skit with the new day?

The full card for WWE Extreme Rules 2018 is as follows:

WWE Championship Match 
AJ Styles (c) vs. Rusev

Roman Reigns vs. Bobby Lashley

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens (Steel Cage Match)

SmackDown Tag Team Championship Match
The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. Team Hell No

Intercontinental Championship 30-Minute WWE Iron Man Match 
Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins

United States Championship Match 
Jeff Hardy (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

Raw Women’s Championship Extreme Rules Match
Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nia Jax

SmackDown Women’s Championship Match 
Carmella (c) vs. Asuka (with James Ellsworth suspended above the ring in a Shark Cage)

Raw Tag Team Championship Match 
“Woken” Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt (c) vs. The B-Team

Finn Bálor vs. “Constable” Baron Corbin

Kickoff Match
The New Day vs. SAnitY (Tables Match)

Kickoff Match
Sin Cara vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusev/Styles could be good. Sin Cara/Almas might be fun. Don't really care about the rest. Certainly not sitting through Dolph/Seth. Gonna skip this one & read after to see if there's positive word of mouth for anything, then might go back & check it out later if there's some good praise being lobbed around.

I'd gladly take 30 minutes of Hulk Hogan promo'ing the shit out of this event - ON the event - over that iron man any day of the week.

And holy shit. They've done that shark cage gimmick to death these last few years, haven't they? Feels like they trot that thing out at least two PPVs per year now.

The top 3 matches have my attention and will get scoped out at some point - probably sporadically throughout the week.

And I'm curious about Jeff/Swagske, because it could be a terrible fucking train wreck or something very unique, as well as Bryan's match.

If Ronda shows up in Nia/Bliss, that could be worthwhile.

Damn. When you start breaking it down, this lackluster event *could* turn into a surprisingly solid show.

I guess this is considered spoiler although it is a DUHH one

Spoiler

Hogan is backstage at the PPV. 

I guess this is considered being snowflake like but the idea of Hogan's first stuff back in the WWE is with the New Day comes off extremely tone def.  LIke we know why they "fired" him.   

I mean the only thing that can make it worse would be Byron Saxton sucking up to Hogan and just being the ultimate "Get Out" in wrestling 

WWE often amazes me how little they do with what they have but Almas in a pre-show match against Sin Caras might be a new high (low). Not watching any WWE TV leaves also a lot of other questions looking at that card:

- Why are the worse Rotundo son (and for that matter the better yet still shitty one) & Michael McGillicutty on the main show?

- Where are all the great tag teams they have? (the Usos, the Bar, the Revival ... hell, I would prefer the AOP above most of the tag teams on the main card)

etc.

Oh yes, and if the Kane appearence is not a one-off (i.e. it leads either to a DB vs. Kane feud or a title reign) then I am done with WWE until the next Mania season starts.

14 minutes ago, Robert S said:

- Why are the worse Rotundo son (and for that matter the better yet still shitty one) & Michael McGillicutty on the main show?

Bo > Bray by a mile, and Curtis Axel can outwrestle most of the roster in his sleep, especially "darlings" like Rollins, Balor, and Ziggler. Axel's only problem that he has no organic personality or charisma of his own - even when he's playing a wildly "over-the-top" character like Axelmania. As for Bo, he got called up from NXT at the wrong time, before they really knew how to maximize most of those guys on the main roster - and even now, it's wildly hit-or-miss.

Axel is pretty meh. I mean, he is in the role he's supposed to be: a comedy lower midcard tag wrestler. Bo was originally a heartthrob face and actually over, until he started being pushed to the main event scene and his white meat babyface persona was... aggravating. Still one of the best heels in the brand's history, though. Also, massively better than Bray Wyatt, including at being Bray Wyatt.

Rooting for Rusev but no way he wins this tonight.

Ehh. Bo is nothing special in the ring. Never has been. I watched him botch a bulldog headlock & fuck up running the ropes (against Jinder, iirc) as late as 2012 after he'd already received his first big baby face push in FCW. But he's a fun bit player and passable when it comes to wrestling comedy.

I dug Axel as a serious mid-carder more than I had any justifiable reason to, and his NXT 2012 run should get a lot more love than it does. But nobody's lining up to spend dollars & cents to see the guy do anything. Ever.

I'm okay with them in this spot, but it is a shame that they've basically sacrificed the short-term health of an entire division to get here. It's comedy team versus comedy team, and so there's really no reason to care.

What's even worse is the way they've built this thing up. The B-Team would be a fun enough act as underdogs, but they've been booked to suddenly win so many matches that they're not really underdogs anymore in this story. I mean, not *really*.

And so what little incentive anyone may have had to invest a single fuck in them winning is already gone out the window, because you've likely already seen it once a week, every week in the six weeks leading up to this show.

But how can you book them to be underdogs and credible conteders (or contenders at all) if they don't win? I mean, they ARE underdogs because not long ago they were goobers, Miz's lackeys that got their asses kicked routinely including in handicap matches.

Them winning is still being treated as some sort of miracle and they are really, really happy when they win, which is something more wrestlers should feel, and is enough reason to root for them.

In 2018 WWE? Where guys get set up in title programs after winning just one match ALL the time? Jinder after the Mania loss to Mojo. Styles after the Mania loss to Jericho. And on & on. Come on, man. It's not like this is a foreign concept for them.

Less is more. If they're underdogs, establish them as challengers with a big win & then spend a month reminding people that they're underdogs. Build anticipation for a possible title win.

Whether you think it's okay or not, it *does* diminish the celebration and the elation you evoke from the actual, eventual title win if you're giving the same scenario to people over & over again every week in matches and situations that mean much less.

You're right. They're playing their parts well. The big celebrations and stuff are great. But that doesn't mean it isn't taking something away from what could/should be a bigger moment for them later. Why settle for something good immediately - ad nauseum - if you could show a little patience and create something great with the payoff a little later?

I rewound the pre-show to watch Almas vs. Sin Cara. Cara's costume was cool. Okay match that would've benefited from more time and definitely belonged on the main show instead of some of the crap that is there (case-in-point: if I miss a pre-show match, I never bother going back to it - but I did in this case).

Now I'm joining the second pre-show match already in progress. Edit: Doesn't look like I missed much. I can't stand the Sanity act.