Pro Wrestling Only

WON HOF 2018

yesdanielbryan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get his frustration though. It's not an exact parallel, but it would be like if there was a large portion of UK fans saying Hulk Hogan wasn't a Hall of Famer because he sucked in the ring and WCW died because of him (I'd argue he was more of a direct cause of that than anything Daddy can be blamed for).  All while ignoring what a massive cultural icon he was. 

Still, from what I can gather as an American it appears that Daddy was as big other there as Hogan was here in the 80s. I get the sense that a lot of people are trying to downplay or ignore that because it wasn't something they were a part of growing up. There's also a sense of "why don't you understand how important this was to us culturally?" coming from the other side as well. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ...TG said:

I'm shocked, but not displeased, that Omega did not get in. Not that I don't think he's worthy - I have no opinion on that - but rather that inducting someone smack in the middle of his career is absurd.

I'm total agreement with you. It's best to wait until wrestler's career is done or if they have such a compelling body of work you have no choice but to put them in (example John Cena). Got me wondering how those Nakamura voters view him now?

Park has no time to think about Halls of Fame when he's busy being awesome all over North America.

Also I never thought Jerry Jarrett would get in since all the old timers are still bitter that he was a shitty payoff guy, then Dave mentioned there were far less older voters and far more newer voters and it all made sense. 

38 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Park has no time to think about Halls of Fame when he's busy being awesome all over North America.

Also I never thought Jerry Jarrett would get in since all the old timers are still bitter that he was a shitty payoff guy, then Dave mentioned there were far less older voters and far more newer voters and it all made sense. 

The payoff thing was more Gulas and then the 90s when revenue was way down. They wouldn't have had such a fantastic roster in the 70s and especially early 80s if the money was so bad, people would have found other places to work.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Was that not the excuse given as to why he never made it in before? It seems like every time it was mentioned the answer was a variation of "old timers won't vote for him because he probably stiffed them on pay at one point".

It's possible. What's interesting to me is that he was the #1 pick in the Former Wrestlers category, which would seem to suggest his standing with them isn't as bad as was thought. It was Current Wrestlers where he struggled, which indicates to me he was punished by keeping himself off of TV so much during the glory days and not having a bigger presence in the industry in the last 15 years.