Pro Wrestling Only

For entertainment...

jdw

A friend is on the phone laughing about how goofy the 3/28 Figure Four daily show was with Matysik on it. Seems like they going on about what a great worker Brody was, and how certain smart fans don't get Brody. Some such nonsense that he wouldn't bump unless it meant something. Yadder yadder.

"Great stuff."

-Unnamed Figure Four Subscriber

I don't subscribe to it. Perhaps someone else can confirm whether it's as funny as I'm being told it was.

John

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend is on the phone laughing about how goofy the 3/28 Figure Four daily show was with Matysik on it. Seems like they going on about what a great worker Brody was, and how certain smart fans don't get Brody. Some such nonsense that he wouldn't bump unless it meant something. Yadder yadder.

This came up when Larry Matysik was on Wrestling Observer Live a couple of weeks ago (ironically Matysik brought it up after Meltzer started talking about how people who are children now will grow up to think Batista was a great worker).

Meltzer paraphrasing said if you asked anyone who worked at the time he was right at the top. His matches were awesome for the time based on what the standards were then. He didn't do a "Bret Hart" match and if that's the standard for a great match, no, absolutely not, that's not what his role was and he could have fantastic matches with Kamala that only went 3 minutes.

Matysik then told a story about how Brody thought babyfaces were so dumb as workers, they don't watch what's going on around them, so when an average sized babyface worker called for a backdrop, he would run the ropes and then kick their teeth in, because they should know better.

Meltzer then said there was no one better at getting people into their match as if it was a fight. Matysik agreeing said that's the key to professional wrestling, if you can make them suspend disbelief. He then went on to say how he and Brody talked about how at certain points of his career he could give a little bit more than he would normally give to an opponent, because it would help make him and won't hurt me now, but you have to get to that point in your career. Matysik then talked about how working is about getting heat and making the fans believe, not doing 25 bumps in a row, that's just choreographed gymnastics.

Guest FlairPinnedMe

well about the figure four show, matysik was basically saying that brody was a great worker. he didn't take bumps because he didn't have to. and that newer wrestling fans wouldn't understand why he didn't take bumps, because they see everyone take bumps. and anyone that brody took a bump for became a star, so it really meant something when he did. that was the basic gist of it.

I dunno, I guess he's one of those guys no one can speak ill of because of his death, but the attempts to spin Brody as some star creating heat machine are hilarious.

He'd pretty much never do jobs despite either winning a title or being booked with the territory's top star. Can anyone say "this guy became a star because of Bruiser Brody"?

Hell, tales like the one about kicking babyfaces in the teeth "because they should know better" sounds like some shit Bob Holly would do today to some rookie and get crucified on the net over it.

Of the many things I've heard about Brody, "great worker" doesn't come up often. I mean he was as good as you can get in those wild and crazy brawls that were something to behold until ECW would do 5 a show, but that was pretty much it.

I am going totake issue with this point. Brody has this rep for being great at uncontrollable brawls but I think there are about 50 guys that smoke him as a brawler. Even before ECW, there are tons of guys who were better brawlers than Brody esp. in Memphis and Mid South. Hell, even in World Class where most Americans would have seen him, all three Freebirds and the Von Erichs had more hellacious brawls than anything I have seen Brody in. I think people see his bloody photos in some random PWI issue and come to quick conclusions instead of actually watching the matches.

Which is what makes it even more disappointing that he wasn't a good wrestler. I used to see those pics in the wrestling mags with Brody carryng the chain and blood covering his face and thought this guy is a must see. Then you see him operate in the ring and feel let down. Brody had a natural charisma and was "believable" but it didn't translate in the ring.

out of curiosity, who do you guys think are better brawlers than Brody?

Off the top of my head, from that era:

Jerry Lawler NOOOO, the guy never looked like he was putting any effort in his punches. A little repeated sideways punch from a non intimidating wrestler doesn't cut it as being a better brawler than Brody.

Bill Dundee Have to see more but he's not nearly as intimidating brawling so no.

Stan Hansen Yes

Ted DiBiase No

From that era, Andre was a better brawler.

From this era, Benoit's a better brawler. Austin in some ways is but in some ways isn't.

I'm really in the minority but I find Lawler pretty boring.

His punches are nice, but fuck, I'd like to see him do something else once in a while. I'm not really a sucker for those heated brawls in packed Memphis arenas.

But I think 90's AJ is overrated, and Jimmy Jacobs is the most entertaing wrestler in the world, so there you go.

On Lawler's punches, I'm not sure what you want from his punches. When he makes his comebacks on Bill Dundee in both Loser Leaves Town matches from the 80's, you couldn't ask for more intensity and fire. Same with the Savage/Lawler loser leaves town match.

Never seen a Brody match come close to those.

As for prescence, having never been able to see Brody live, I guess I can't qualify to Sam's opinions, but Necro Butcher comes off like he might just go off on someone in the audience at any time ifhe is not in the mood.

I am very amused at your wrestling opinions though.

I'm really in the minority but I find Lawler pretty boring.

His punches are nice, but fuck, I'd like to see him do something else once in a while. I'm not really a sucker for those heated brawls in packed Memphis arenas full of black fans.

You tend to think almost all wrestling you see is disappointing/bad/overrated.

Admittedly, this seems to have been the case over the past year. Perhaps I've just gone off wrestling. I prefer discussing it to watching it these days.

I'm down to only watching about a match a week, if that.

I'm off to Oz for a year in September anyway to do some travelling, so I won't see any wrestling for months. Most likely a good thing.

And Bix, as cool as it is to C + P my post, wouldn't it be more constructive to tell me exactly why you enjoy Jerry Lawler?