Pro Wrestling Only

WON awards front-runners for the first half of the year

Bix

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think we could start an E-Mail campaign for Dave to keep a separate Fighter of the Year and Wrestler of the Year categories? I really think we are way past the point to where we can consider both the same thing. If he wants to cover both in the Observer, fine, I've learned to accept it, but to still keep pretending you can judge wrestlers and fighters under the same criteria for Wrestler of the Year at this point is ridiculous. Besides, something tells me that Randy Couture wouldn't really know how to accept being named the Ric Flair/Lou Thesz Wrestler of the Year when neither have anything to do with his career to this point.

Why wouldn't he be? Say what you will about Herb being a loon, but as far as I'm aware the WON is by far the best source for MMA news.

I'll be voting for Couture as long as the eligibility rules don't change. I like Cena a lot but he can't hold Couture's jock even if you're just talking about working a gimmick and making people want to watch you fight. For that matter MMA dudes should really win all the categories that aren't explicitly for workers. Without getting into the endlessly opened can of worms, even guys like Roger Huerta are just better at the straight-up pro wrestling stuff than anyone working fake fights right now.

(And yes I know that strictly speaking this would leave Barry Bonds eligible for best box office draw or whatever. When Herb opens up the ballot to de la Hoya and Vick I'll vote for them over any MMA or pro wrestling guy.)

I don't even know if you're being serious at this point, but from what I can gather Meltz is seen as a joke in serious MMA circles. I don't know if that's true or not since I only follow MMA at the most basic level, but what I've seen is the mere mention of the WON as MMA journalism causing massive LOLz

Also, isn't the award "Wrestler of the Year"? How can you have a non wrestler up for it? If it was Entertainer of the Year or Draw of the Year I'd agree with you 1000%.

He's shitty at technical analysis but he gets a lot of scoops because he's well sourced with the guys running the companies and the fighters, and he's also covering the whole scope of the industry. Also relatively minimal competition, though that's changing.

Do you think we could start an E-Mail campaign for Dave to keep a separate Fighter of the Year and Wrestler of the Year categories?

There is already a Fighter of the Year category, so the only solution would be to ban shoot fighters from being eligible for Wrestler of the Year. Anyway, people have been sniping at Dave about the stupidity of this for years and he hasn't changed anything, so I doubt it would do any good. The only thing that might force his hand is if Couture wins and the backlash from readers is so vociferous. That said, I think a lot of smarks will begrudgingly accept it rather than rush to the aid of John Cena.

He's shitty at technical analysis but he gets a lot of scoops because he's well sourced with the guys running the companies and the fighters, and he's also covering the whole scope of the industry. Also relatively minimal competition, though that's changing.

Well it's good to see that his reputation among MMA fans is the same as it is among wrestling fans.

Guest JBigred57

No I am not a troll. Maybe I cannot formulate an argument as well as some of you, BUT I stand by my claims.

After Summerslam I think I am finished with Sports Entertainment, namely WWE and TNA.

The match of Cena and Orton was fine for a main event of Raw. It was NOT PPV qualiry. There was no backstage interviews of either man. Would you have thought this match was great still if the outcome changed?

The way the match was booked from the getgo with Orton on the Offense mostly the entire match. I knew he was gonna lose. I still popped for the dropkick the invertedback breaker AND the RKO but then I saw how he landed and I knew it was over.

McMahon is turning Cena into a more talented version of Goldberg. He is very limited to what he can do and the fans are smart enough to know that. He is NOT Hogan and it is NOT 1984. Sure Hogan got some boos but NOT NEARLY as many as Cena gets at this stage of their respective careers. Hogan WAS THE GUY. The majority of the fans LOVED him. That is NOT the case with Cena. And the fact that Vince cannot see that is both sad and pittiful. THAT is why I do not want to watch it anymore. I am sticking strickly to indy wrestling from this point forward.

and to touch on an earlier point, the true bread and butter comes from the raitings and the buyrates which are both down right now. You can only make so much on merch.

No I am not a troll. Maybe I cannot formulate an argument as well as some of you, BUT I stand by my claims.

After Summerslam I think I am finished with Sports Entertainment, namely WWE and TNA.

The match of Cena and Orton was fine for a main event of Raw. It was NOT PPV qualiry. There was no backstage interviews of either man. Would you have thought this match was great still if the outcome changed?

The way the match was booked from the getgo with Orton on the Offense mostly the entire match. I knew he was gonna lose. I still popped for the dropkick the invertedback breaker AND the RKO but then I saw how he landed and I knew it was over.

McMahon is turning Cena into a more talented version of Goldberg. He is very limited to what he can do and the fans are smart enough to know that. He is NOT Hogan and it is NOT 1984. Sure Hogan got some boos but NOT NEARLY as many as Cena gets at this stage of their respective careers. Hogan WAS THE GUY. The majority of the fans LOVED him. That is NOT the case with Cena. And the fact that Vince cannot see that is both sad and pittiful. THAT is why I do not want to watch it anymore. I am sticking strickly to indy wrestling from this point forward.

Here is why he IS the guy - people both pay to see him win AND see him lose. He has a split fanbase that both love him and loathe him. The fact that Vince McMahon can draw from both simultaneously with Cena on top is the reason above all why he is the guy.

And the best thing in that scenario is if one fanbase falls away it will be rather easy to change his product and not loose the other fanbase. Remember when the Hulkamaniacs reached puberty or for some strange reason the 6th incarnation of the nWo flopped, if your only fanbase leaves it can get quite ugly

The way the match was booked from the getgo with Orton on the Offense mostly the entire match.

Oh shit the heel on top putting heat on the face who has to fight from underneath to win against the odds? That is no pro wrestling I have ever heard of!

I think through August New Japan is still my promotion of the year. They're just had spectacular booking this year. The IWGP Title scene has been interesting all year and the title defenses have all been built up well and they've stopped hot shotting. They've also finally started moving the promotion forward and are making Yuji Nagata, Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamure the focus of the shows instead of guys like Chono.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JBigred57

Just out of curiousity, where did you guys get the info that house show attend/merch is up? Last I heard it was down, with everything else.

Please don't say Meltzer. The fact that the guy would willingly go on such a farce and untrue show as Nancy DisGrace makes me have 0 respect and trust for him.

So, source?

Just out of curiousity, where did you guys get the info that house show attend/merch is up? Last I heard it was down, with everything else.

Please don't say Meltzer. The fact that the guy would willingly go on such a farce and untrue show as Nancy DisGrace makes me have 0 respect and trust for him.

So, source?

I see what you did there, preemptively removing the main source of the pro wres news from the equation.

you........you're good, you Niro>

So, source?

I see what you did there, preemptively removing the main source of the pro wres news from the equation.

you........you're good, you Niro>

I only get my news from WrestlingNewzwithtitties.com tough guy!

Just out of curiosity, what is 2 + 2? Last I heard, no one had solved that equation yet.

Please don't say four. The fact that the number would willingly associate with the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, or that it would work in such close proximity to the number of the Reich that Hitler was a part of, makes me have 0 respect and trust for it.

So, answers?

Guest JBigred57

When was Meltzer ever in the business? He's not someone who is always the keeper of everything holy in wrestling.

Last I heard, that since Wrestlemania, PPV buyrates and television ratings have been down, along with everything else. Unless you can provide a reliable source, your opinion is null and void.

Good sarcasm, though.