Chris, Nancy, & Daniel Benoit found dead

Bix

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In the latest WON, Dave mentions how the reason William Regal's segment of the Benoit tribute was so odd was that seconds before he sat down to tape it, JBL asked him if he thought Benoit had anything to do with killing the boy.

That alone seems to reveal that A. it wasn't the big shock "we never saw this coming" WWE wants to spin it as (which isn't exactly news, but it seems to indicate that people outside of Chris's WCW associates thought something was possible) and B. when you watch Regal's comments you're basically seeing someone mentally putting 2 and 2 together while trying to say nice things for a tribute show. Certainly explained his increasing "oh shit" face throughout.

Well, Regal 1.received at least one of the infamous text messages, so he had more time to think about it than most, and 2.always comes off as a real pessimist who is quite willing to believe the worst about people. I could tell something was bothering him badly even when I saw it live.

Well, Regal 1.received at least one of the infamous text messages...

Apparently not. Someone, likely Regal himself, told Meltzer that he was definitely not the other person who received the text messages.

To recap the WON here, Regal and Benoit hadn't been close for some time, due to issues related to Benoit's divorce. Benoit was pretty weird to Regal, to boot, once asking him to come over and watch some AJPW, then refusing to let him in when he showed up. Anyway, Regal and Benoit's relationship was pretty much purely professional by that point and Regal was set to go on the air and talk about Benoit in general terms anyway when JBL stopped him in the hall and asked Regal if he thought Benoit had anything to do with what happened.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fay...age_tab_newstab

Inheritances tied to order of Benoit deaths

Whether wife or son died first plays key role in who gets wrestler's estate, so in-laws question initial findings.

By JOHN HOLLIS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/15/07

The family of Chris Benoit's wife is questioning whether she or her son died first at the hands of her husband nearly two months ago. The answer could determine who inherits millions of dollars from the pro wrestler's estate.

Authorities say Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, on June 22 and then killed their son, Daniel, the next day before taking his own life at their Fayetteville home.

If Nancy, who did not have a will, died first, then her estate would flow into Daniel's, said Cary Ichter, one of the two Atlanta-based attorneys for Benoit's father, Michael. That means Daniel's two half-siblings from Chris Benoit's previous marriage would stand to inherit Benoit's fortunes, which include two lavish homes, several bank accounts and lucrative investments, Ichter said.

But if Daniel died first, then the estate would have flowed to Nancy before her death. In that case, her family stands to reap the inheritance.

"We don't think it's absolutely as clear as initially thought as for the order of deaths," said Richard Decker, the Atlanta-based attorney for Nancy's parents, Paul and Maureen Toffoloni of Daytona Beach, Fla. "It could be important as to who died first."

A joint motion filed in the Fayette County Superior Court late last week by the Toffolonis and Michael Benoit, the administrator of his son's estate, seeks a determination of the order of deaths so that estate issues can be finalized.

An initial Probate Court hearing has been scheduled for Aug. 28, but the issue of order of death is expected to be addressed later.

Georgia law stipulates that Chris Benoit is legally considered to have died first in the house. The intent of the "Slayer's Statute" is to make sure neither the killer nor his heirs profit from their crimes.

Benoit had two children, David and Megan, from a previous marriage to Martina Benoit. As Daniel Benoit's legal next of kin, they would be next in line for the inheritance.

Martina Benoit declined comment when reached by telephone Tuesday evening.

Susan Zwaenepoel of Edmonton, who represents Martina Benoit and her children, did not return calls seeking comment Tuesday afternoon.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation performed autopsies. The Fayette County Sheriff's Department has received the oral results, but was still awaiting the final written version as of late Tuesday afternoon.

The GBI has declined any further comment.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard has said evidence recovered at the scene indicated Nancy Benoit died sometime on June 22, while Daniel Benoit lived until the next day. Ballard has cited varying levels in the decay of the bodies as proof.

He stood by those assertions Tuesday.

"I'm pretty confident with what the medical examiners found," Ballard said.

Dr. Michael Heninger of the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office, who was not involved in the investigation, warned against expecting the final autopsy results to erase all lingering questions.

"It may all be difficult," Heninger said, adding that other variables such as body size and temperature play big roles in the speed by which bodies decompose. "Big people stay warmer longer. Smaller people can dry out and mummify faster, particularly in their hands and feet. We can't always be as precise as people want us to be."

One thing that is clear is that all three family members were still alive as of dinnertime that Friday.

Renee Ramthun, the owner of Fayetteville-based Aqua Pro, confirmed a two-man crew from her company visited the Benoit home that Friday between 6 and 6:15 p.m. to clean the family pool. Both men reported seeing all three family members outside with nothing appearing out of the ordinary.

Ichter sounded confident in the initial findings after conferring with Dr. Kris Sperry, Georgia's top medical examiner.

"We think they got it right," Ichter said.

The Toffolonis, however, contend the levels of decomposition could simply be attributed to the varying temperatures of the rooms in which the bodies were found. Authorities discovered Nancy Benoit's body in an upstairs den of the house, wrapped in a towel with her wrists and feet bound. A heavily sedated Daniel was found dead in his pajamas atop his bed in his upstairs room.

The Fayette County Sheriff's Department reiterated this week it had no reason to contradict its original findings.

In another development, one of the lawyers for Dr. Phil Astin III, who was Benoit's physician, has filed a motion to suppress evidence seized in what he called an illegal search of the Carrollton doctor's office on June 27.

Manny Arora said the court order authorized federal agents to take only records pertaining to Chris Benoit and not those of five other patients as well.

Astin, who has been quoted as saying he prescribed steroids to Benoit, has been indicted on federal charges of overprescribing to two patients, neither of whom were Benoit.

Arora said he plans to file similar additional motions later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fay...enoit_0829.html

Benoit's mental state questioned at estate hearing

By JOHN HOLLIS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/28/07

The father of professional wrestler Chris Benoit could be trying to make sure two grandchildren inherit his son's estate, suggesting Tuesday that Benoit had "diminished capacity" when he murdered his family and took his own life at their Fayetteville home.

Attorneys for Michael Benoit said that would mean that Georgia's "slayer's statute" that prohibits a killer or his heirs from profiting from the crime would not apply in this case.

"Chris' actions in doing this are wholly at odds with the person I knew him to be and everybody else who knew Chris," said Cary Ichter, one of the two Atlanta-based attorneys representing Michael Benoit at Tuesday's probate court hearing at the Fayette County Judicial Center. "He was the model father. He was the model husband. He was a great guy, as nice a person as you'd ever want to meet."

Chris Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, before taking his own life in late June.

A toxicology report showed Benoit had extremely elevated levels of testosterone in his body but no other illicit drugs or alcohol.

In another development, Judge Martha Stephenson designated Michael Benoit as the permanent administrator to Chris Benoit's estate, while Nancy's mother, Maureen Toffoloni, assumes that same role with regards to the estates of Daniel and Nancy.

Stephenson's decision could help defuse rising tensions between the families, who had objected to one another as estate administrators. Neither Chris nor Nancy Benoit had wills.

It could be months before the Fayette County Superior Court determines the issue of heirs. Whether Nancy Benoit died before Daniel will determine whether control of millions of dollars goes to Chris Benoit's two children from a previous marriage or to the Toffoloni family.

As part of Tuesday's agreement, neither side is allowed to spend any estate assets without court order or without the consent of all the parties involved.

Additionally, all sides have agreed to refrain from further legal actions without court permission.

"This is what's appropriate, preserving the assets for the benefit of the two children," said Craig Frankel, the other Atlanta lawyer for Michael Benoit. "Our primary goal is to protect the estate for the benefit of Chris' kids so they can try to go through the mourning process as the Toffolonis are going through the mourning process. It's a tragedy for everybody."

Both Paul and Maureen Toffoloni attended the hearing but declined to comment.

Their Atlanta-based attorney, Richard Decker, was pleased with the outcome.

"We got what we wanted," he said, "and that was her permanent appointment as a personal representative of the estate. That's what we came here to do."

Chris Benoit had two children, 14-year-old David and 10-year-old Megan, from a previous marriage to Martina Benoit of Alberta.

If Nancy died first, as authorities have said, then her estate would flow into Daniel's. His subsequent death would then mean his two half-siblings would be next in the line of inheritance per a Georgia law that stipulates that half-brothers and sisters are treated as equals with full siblings.

But if Daniel died first, then the estate would have flowed to Nancy before her death. In that case, her family stands to reap the inheritance.

Officials have said Benoit killed Nancy before Daniel. Her family has contested that finding.

• 3 years later...

Per Meltzer on today's F4D, Benoit's heart was normal. Weird.

Just to add to this, on the July 25th Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer does say that when Dr. Kris Sperry was examining Benoit's body, that while their was no enlarged organs or heart problems, he did notice "signs of 'heavy duty' steroid use".

Well, it looks like Benoit's heart was actually enlarged. Plus there was a suicide note. There are some other new items but those are the two big newsworthy ones. WTF.

Per Meltzer on today's F4D, Benoit's heart was normal. Weird.

Just to add to this, on the July 25th Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer does say that when Dr. Kris Sperry was examining Benoit's body, that while their was no enlarged organs or heart problems, he did notice "signs of 'heavy duty' steroid use".

Well, it looks like Benoit's heart was actually enlarged. Plus there was a suicide note. There are some other new items but those are the two big newsworthy ones. WTF.

I found it equally striking.

Not to pick on Dave or anything, as I thought his write-up on the Benoit stuff for the Observer was really good, but I wonder why he buried this at the end of his Benoit piece today after more concussion stuff that wasn't really newsworthy (of course McDevitt is going to claim that Benoit's concussions didn't cause the murders). The suicide note and the heart enlargement were new stories and really should have been the focus of the piece ahead of the concussion stuff, but that's my own opinion.

This is all enlightening stuff. It is still hard, as a fan, to watch wrestling today and not wonder when the next big one is going to happen and who it will affect. The weirdest thing I remember from that time, is that I watched more wrestling on MSNBC and CNN than I did anywhere else during the whole time the media was all over this.

Not to pick on Dave or anything, as I thought his write-up on the Benoit stuff for the Observer was really good, but I wonder why he buried this at the end of his Benoit piece today after more concussion stuff that wasn't really newsworthy (of course McDevitt is going to claim that Benoit's concussions didn't cause the murders). The suicide note and the heart enlargement were new stories and really should have been the focus of the piece ahead of the concussion stuff, but that's my own opinion.

That's the first time I'd heard there was a suicide note. Were its contents made public?

The note was found in the pages of a Bible that was sent to Chris's first wife in Canada. The question is why did the police not find it?

Because the police working on the case were fucking idiots who were in over their heads and/or decided not to do much work because it was obvious who the killer was and he was dead. That they sent the neighbor in the corral the dogs and scarred her for life because she found the bodies suggests the former being true at the very least. Irv's book covers all this in greater detail, but I did make a list of some of the issues in the post at Cageside on Wednesday:

- In lieu of calling/waiting for some sort of animal control unit, neighbor Holly Schrepfer was sent by police to control the Benoits' guard dogs and enter the house, where she found the bodies. She ran out of the house, screaming, and ended up leaving Georgia to avoid the media for the next few weeks.

- Schrepfer has asserted that she told police that she encountered then WWE wrestler Dave Taylor and his wife Lisa (who didn't live in the neighborhood) carrying a platter of deli food toward the Benoit house. The police have no record of this. Taylor claims that he was in Texas with the WWE tour even though he wasn't booked, so he could serve as a substitute if necessary and/or draw an advance on his guaranteed salary. This has been rebutted by various wrestlers, who have said that this never happens. There is also no record of him being there.

- According to Nancy's family, the house appeared to be improperly searched, as they found luggage containing vials of steroids.

- For no adequately explained reason, District Attorney Scott Ballard claimed that Daniel Benoit was "almost dwarfed" and had needle marks on body.

- The autopsy report and the death certificate list different causes of death for Daniel: The autopsy report listed "cervical compression" while the death certificate lists "suffocation."

- The record of text messages retrieved from Chris's phone uses a message not listed in the record as a key. Since it's a message from what appears to be a distraught colleague, not a generic sample for the key, it appears that it was officially excluded. There have also been numerous anecdotal references by wrestlers to other texts sent to and from his phone that are not listed. While the record was only said to contain "relevant" messages, why exclude any of them in the first place?

- Verizon Wireless was not subpoenaed for voicemail messages, allegedly in part because they claimed to not have any due to a system failure. This seems unlikely: How many customers would've been affected? Were there no backups?

- What remained of Chris's diary was not found by police, but by Schrepfer in a garbage can (it's not clear where exactly) after she returned to Georgia.

And now we have what looks like a medical examiner lying to Dave Meltzer about the enlarged organs due to WWE pressure.

I hate to be That Guy, but people like Irv and Bix are probably wasting their time because it's more than apparent that no one cares about rasslers dying (or killing their families). Even Dave seems to be fairly burned out of covering the story at this point. It's obvious that nothing will ever come of it, even if proof comes out second or third hand, since WWE will just bury any attempts to uncover any damaging details.

It's amazing that this stuff is just coming out over 3 years later.

The Dave Taylor thing is the biggest WTF to me. There's an explanation for most of the stuff revealed, but that's just so weird. It's probably nothing, but it could lead to wild conspiracy theories

The neighbor finding part of the diary in a mystery garbage can when she returned from her vacation can't be true. That doesn't make any sense either way you look at it.

The Dave Taylor thing is the biggest WTF to me. There's an explanation for most of the stuff revealed, but that's just so weird. It's probably nothing, but it could lead to wild conspiracy theories

I think they were just there (presumably after being asked by WWE) to fish for the latest information from police and neighbours.

I think they were just there (presumably after being asked by WWE) to fish for the latest information from police and neighbours.

I was assuming she encountered them before the news broke, but after she had found the bodies.

I could see maybe Sunday night, nobody is hearing from Chris so they send Dave there to go check up on him.

But why would Taylor lie about it? That's the part I don't get. It doesn't make WWE culpable of knowing more than what we assume they knew or suspected on Sunday/early Monday, but maybe they did?

It's just another little twist that brings up a host of unanswered questions

I was assuming she encountered them before the news broke, but after she had found the bodies.

Yup.