Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

Can you explain why you don't like them with something other than vague generalizations?

Like, Khali is so freakishly big that he's basically immobile and unable to do much besides the most basic first-day-of-training offense, he's too big to bump more than once per month, and can't speak English? That all severely limits what he's able to do both in and out of the ring. As for Boogeyman, I already went over all that earlier. Here's a corollary: explain exactly why you think he's good. At in-ring wrestling, don't just say you like his gimmick or the way he portrays it.

What's the point of sitting through two hours of crap to get to the one bit you like?

I don't sit through it all. I record it, leave the VCR running while I go do something else, and then go back and watch it later, fast-forwarding through the commercials and anything I don't wanna watch. ("Change the channel" was a euphemism, but considering we're talking about live TV, I thought "fast-forward" might've been confusing.)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like, Khali is so freakishly big that he's basically immobile and unable to do much besides the most basic tefirst-day-of-training offense,

MOVES~! He's a giant freak attraction. You want moonsaults from him?

he's too big to bump more than once per month,

He's a giant freak attraction. You want him to be a pinball bumper?

and can't speak English?

He's a giant freak attraction who is freakish in a way that results in major slurring of speech AND he's a non-native English speaker AND they gave him a manager to do his talking for him. When he first showed up and was cutting promos in incomprehensible English, that was dumb. I'm not really sure what more you want him to do now. Does he have to speak English, even if he has an English speaking manager cutting promos for him? Does anarchistxx have two accounts on this board?

As for Boogeyman, I already went over all that earlier.

I said I wanted something BESIDES vague generalizations.

Here's a corollary: explain exactly why you think he's good.

That's a trick question. I never said he was good.

He's a giant freak attraction

I don't like giant freak attractions. I prefer wrestlers to bring something to the table other than just being really good at grabbing groceries off the top shelf.

I said I wanted something BESIDES vague generalizations.

I'm just slightly elaborating on what I already said: he's generally clumsy. His offense often looks horrible, in multiple ways: sometime he looks like he's about to drop the other guy during basic power moves, sometimes it just looks like he's barely making contact at all. His selling is sometimes inconsistent; he'll randomly play Undertaker superman, like he often did with Booker, but other times he'll let relatively small hits floor him. He's a sloppy bumper, he frequently lands predominantly on his lower back, which ain't good for long-term health. His jerky movement style is part of his gimmick, but personally I don't like it, it just looks to me like a guy who's concentrating on being weird.

So why the hell are you railing on me for saying he's bad?

So why the hell are you railing on me for saying he's bad?

1. Because he's not THAT bad

2. Because your reasons for finding him and Khali bad struck me as dumb

That said, most of what you said in this post was pretty reasonable, even if I disagree with some of it, though I still don't really get your beef with his non-English speaking.

It's just yet another reason for me to dislike him, about #7 on my laundry list. I'm not saying I have a problem with foreigners; my problem is with a non-English speaking foreigner who makes his living as a piece of on-screen performance talent in a medium which traditionally requires some form of talking, in English, from most of its employees.

Yeah, and the WWE seems allergic to them much of the time. None of the ones they have now ever seem to last very long. When's the last time Estrada was on tv (not counting standing in the background of a "Vince walks past the whole company" scene)? Wrestlers don't NEED to talk to get over, but it sure does help.

Guest BilJim2

Yeah, and the WWE seems allergic to them much of the time. None of the ones they have now ever seem to last very long. When's the last time Estrada was on tv (not counting standing in the background of a "Vince walks past the whole company" scene)? Wrestlers don't NEED to talk to get over, but it sure does help.

Estrada was on ECW last night, he's their new General Manager. Regardless, they seem to be using more talkers these days anyway.

Yeah, and the WWE seems allergic to them much of the time.

And Khali's had two.

Seriously, Jingus, if you're going to complain about what the WWE is doing wrong, you could at least read the spoilers or results to make sure your complaints actually match reality.

That brings up something: what was the point with taking Davari off that detail? I thought he was doing just fine, but apparently the office thought he "shouted too much" or something.

I do watch the shows, every week. Just not live. Usually I record 'em onto a tape and watch the whole thing once it's filled up. So I haven't bothered to watch ECW this week yet.

That brings up something: what was the point with taking Davari off that detail? I thought he was doing just fine, but apparently the office thought he "shouted too much" or something.

I do watch the shows, every week. Just not live. Usually I record 'em onto a tape and watch the whole thing once it's filled up. So I haven't bothered to watch ECW this week yet.

*Sigh*

THE GREAT KHALI PRESENTLY HAS A MANAGER. HIS NAME IS "RUNJIN SINGH", AND HE TRANSLATES KHALI'S HINDI SHOUTING INTO ENGLISH FOR THE AMERICAN AUDIENCES. HE HAS BEEN PROMINENTLY FEATURED FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW. IT IS KIND OF HARD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT KHALI NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH AND NOT HAVING A MANAGER WHEN HE HAS A MANAGER WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH FOR HIM. IT IS ALSO KIND OF HARD TO NOT NOTICE THAT THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING IF YOU HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN WATCHING WWE PROGRAMMING THE PAST FEW MONTHS. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS NOW, OR WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO REPOST THIS BOLDED WITH LARGER TEXT?

No. You couldn't. Because I never once said he didn't have a manager. I'm perfectly well aware of the existence of Indian Bischoff as it were. Like I said before, I watch every wrestling TV show every week.

Why I think Khali not speaking English is bad? Firstly, I've always thought that it's better for someone to be able to cut their own promos than have a manager do it for them. I know that's not always possible, but I find it always preferable. Secondly, the WWE rarely keeps any one manager with their client for long. I don't know why it is, but I can't think of anyone in the E who's kept the same manager for a single year, let alone more. Hence my pontificating on why Daivari was yanked from the spot as Khali's manager. Thirdly, it must be hard for the dude to live and work in America if he can't speak the language. It makes improvising anything at all in the ring a lot harder, obviously, when you can't tell the other guy what you want to do.

I don't know why it is, but I can't think of anyone in the E who's kept the same manager for a single year, let alone more.

Two come to mind:

- Queen Sharmell with King Booker.

- Lita with Edge (before Lita retired).

Also Ric Flair with HHH in 2002-end of 2003 when they teamed Flair with Batista (aside from Flair's brief face turn in May 03)

I just watched Goodhelmet's entire Dangerous Alliance set in the hopes of finding wrestling somewhat enjoyable to watch again. I hope I'm one day able to enjoy other wrestling again, because this stuff was so good that everything else is going to fall in its afterglow for awhile I'm afraid.

The whole angle from WCW Saturday Night where they set up the ring with a talk show set and women started coming out of the crowd claiming to be having affairs with Ricky Steamboat while the crowd "ooohs" is just WAY ahead of its time for 1992. The next segment had a crawler that Ricky Steamboat had contacted WCW and denied all allegations and that he would be given a chance to make a statement the next night on WCW Main Event. And the next week, DDP debuts his new talk show and has Paul E. as a guest. He accidentally plays a clip of Paul E. paying the women who stood up to denounce Steamboat. This all ends up with Steamboat doing a dive from the audience onto the stage to attack Paul E. and tear his pants off, which set off a huge DA/babyfaces brawl, and yet another 30-minute 2/3 falls match main event.

I don't think there's ever been a better period for good wrestling matches on free TV with a wide variety of wrestlers and settings. Letting K. Allen Frey go in favor of Watts was a mistake.

The Steamboat angle is SO going on the next DVD Club disc.

I wonder if Michael Buffer's appearance on SNME will somehow lead to WWE getting the rights to all his WCW appearances, since the Monday Night Wars are quickly coming up to the point where he was announcing WCW main events on an almost regular basis.

I don't think there's ever been a better period for good wrestling matches on free TV with a wide variety of wrestlers and settings. Letting K. Allen Frey go in favor of Watts was a mistake.

The only things I didn't like about the Bill Watts era:

1. The end of the Dangerous Alliance

2. The Erik Watts superpush.

Other than that there was nothing wrong with the Bill Watts era of WCW. And I think they actually made money that year, although I don't have the Observers of the era to prove it.