Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

Need company in the Louisville or SoCal area? (Link is surprisingly work-safe)

Shelly Martinez

Description

Stats: 5-4, 118 pounds, 34DD-24-36

Specialities: submission wretling & kickboxing

Contact Info

E-mail: [email protected]

Additional Information

Shelly says: "I am "clean" and professional. I have an athletic background and have been doing pro wrestling for seven years. I also do kickboxing and submission wrestling."

I could see Lano making the trip down from NoCal for some of that.

John

FWIW, she posted a bulletin on MySpace claiming that whoever this is making the advertisement, it isn't her.

Wrestling....

No, it is NOT true, you CANNOT pay a fee to wrestle me. I am NOT taking 'personal' sessions. Just wanted to clear that up. I guess internet reports are saying this is true. I have gotten tons of emails reguarding the post and I wanted to go ON the record and clear that mess up.

Thank you,

Shelly

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Danielson is an idiot, to be sure, but he has made his own bed here by refusing to sign with a wrestling company that will compensate him better. By continuing to work indies, he opens himself up to situations where if he isn't wrestling, he isn't getting paid, thus putting himself in greater danger of getting seriously hurt. You would think that the separated shoulder and separated eyeball would put this shitty business in perspective and get him off the "OMG PRO WRES ARTISTE~" gimmick he seems to be running and realize it's time to get paid, but...well, he's an idiot.

He has pro wrestling in perspective. Working indies gives him the freedom to set his own schedule, and to have a life outside of his profession.

Not really, because working a full-time indy schedule means you are compensated monetarily about as well as the senior cashier at the local 7-11. It is not possible to be self-sufficient working an indy schedule alone, and I suspect that in order to avoid being dirt poor, he would probably have to work a second job, assuming he hasn't been fired from said second job for missing time repeatedly due to injuries suffered working such a hard style. But yeah, destroying himself for the benefit of ROH fans just to hear them chant "BEST IN THE WORLD!" is not a worthwhile existence. Good for him if he enjoys it now, but when his body is broken down years from now and he gave up prime earning years just for some fake "best wrestler in the world" title, I suspect he'll regret it.

I know for a fact that Danielson makes a very comfortable living doing what he's doing. I also know that he's happy with the path he's chosen. I also think that he is more likely than most to get out of wrestling before he's too broken down to recover. He has other interests in life, and I think that what really sinks so many pro wrestlers is that their lives are empty outside of what you so astutley refer to as "The Business."

Setting his own schedule means that he can take time off when he needs to. He regularly takes breaks from wrestling to go traveling, for example.

You seem to think that he'd be better off in terms of his health and well-being if he was working for McMahon... given all of the death and scandal that's plagued WWE recently, that seems beyond absurd.

Keep on hating, though. Maybe some day you'll get good at it.

No, I think all wrestlers would be better off by no longer being wrestlers, but if you're going to insist on being a wrestler...I mean, make money while you still can. The ROH lifestyle is not going to make you a living. Working for Vince isn't going to be any better on your body, but at least you'll be paid well. Danielson is getting the same concussions that wrestlers in WWE are receiving, the same wear and tear on his body. If anything, it's worse; I mean, who was the last WWE wrestler to have his eyeball knocked out of his head? I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I just see the ROH lifestyle as being a dead-end, and if Danielson has other interests which won't wind up with his body breaking down, he should go for them rather than continue to wreck himself to receive "Best in the world!" chants.

It goes back to Mick Foley's interviews on ECW back in 1995, where he decried the hardcore wrestling style on the indy level, where wrestlers wrecked their bodies for Heyman for little pay, and the result was the hardcore drug culture that existed in ECW, and look at all of the ECW casualties over the years. The ROH style is as hard on the human body as the ECW style, the pay isn't much better, and the end result isn't any better; fans go crazy, wrestler's body is wrecked, no money to show for it.

So now the legend is that Danielson's eye was "knocked out of his head?" Man, in ten years the story will be that Morishima plucked it out of his head Kill Bill style and then stepped on it, squashing it like a grape. Regardless, Danielson was able to wrestle the next night with a marshmallow stuffed in the socket.

Damn it, Cox, I was all prepared to go off ranting on you personally, then you had to spoil it by presenting reasonable and well-written counterpoint to my argument.

Danielson does throw his body around with abandon at times in many of his matches, but I would argue that the style he wrestles -- being mainly chain-wrestling-intensive, mat-work-heavy, and character-based with only a small number of relatively dangerous big spots mixed in -- is less damaging overall than the largely chairs-and-tables-based ECW style. I'd also argue that what's most damaging to the wrestlers' bodies and to their emotional well-being is the neverending WWE schedule and the culture of drug abuse that it engenders.

I think that Danielson's eye injury was the result of one unlucky strike received while wrestling with a much larger opponent who has a very stiff style. I wouldn't say it's indicative of the risks of US Indy style in general, or of Danielson's style in particular.

Also, as I wrote above, Danielson is indeed one of the few who is making a very comfortable living by wrestling a limited schedule in a variety of promotions, including ROH, NOAH, and various US, Canadian, and European Indies. He drives a very nice brand new truck, dresses well, and is hardly starving himself and living in the back of a Buick to pursue his craft.

Bah, I'm sure Bryan Danielson isn't such a pussy that he'll come back wearing a protective face mask.

With regards to Gordi's claims that he'll get out before it's too late, I hope that's true, but how many times have we heard that? For example, wasn't Shane Douglas supposed to retire young and go to medical school to become a doctor, instead of working through a catalogue of injuries and ending up addicted to Oxycontin? Sure that's the worst case scenario, but Danielson seems to have a dangerous drive to be one of the best workers in the world that will make it unlikely that he'll get out of the wrestling business unscathed.

I know for a fact that Danielson makes a very comfortable living doing what he's doing. I also know that he's happy with the path he's chosen.

Most people are quire happy with the path they've chosen. This is because denial is a wonderful defense mechanism and a huge part of human nature. Everybody makes awful, detrimental choices and then spends all their time making up justifications for these bad decisions in their own mind so they don't have to face the facts of how they have fucked up their life so badly. I'm curious as to how screwed up Danielson is in the head when he looks at his eye and looks at his small paycheck and still figures out a way to tell himself it's worth it.

Dave sez...

--Reader Marc Blattner wrote he saw a movie "King of Kong--Fistful of Quarters" and said the documentary detailing the Donkey Kong world record score features the best heel and the best face of the year. Hey, that's what UFC people have told me about Matt Serra and Matt Hughes in the next season of Ultimate Fighter

Competitive video gaming is pro wrestling in 5...4....3.....

The WO update for today mentioned the battle royale at the next TNA ppv would crown the first women's champion.

Why is TNA creating a women's title when they fail at booking the men's ones?

If they had good reasons for doing things, they wouldn't be failing so much in the first place.

I think the reasoning may be something along the lines of WWE has a Women's title so gosh darn it we're going to have one too now that we've got an extra hour of TV to fill. Also I'm sure the ever so humble Vince Russo reminisces fondly about the days when he saved women's wrestling in North America and made Sable into one of the hottest stars in the business.

So I have the New Mexico-Arizona game on as background noise, and when they throw to the sideline reporter I hear a voice that sounds familiar. I turn around and I see SEAN F'N MOONEY on my TV for the first time in like 20 years.

He did local news in the NYC area for awhile. From what I heard, he's hush-hush on his wrestling roots.