AEW Dynamite - January 8, 2020

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/10/2020 at 2:53 PM, FMKK said:

Brandi pulling a HHH move here

Yeah, the only other gain she ever had on Dynamite was being in the same 15-minute segment as a Jericho interview, but obviously that "gain" was all Jericho and she piggybacked it. With the Nightmare Collective angle she has BLED viewers except last week. A shame some journalists (I won't name them) don't get this and continue to spread the false narrative Nightmare Collective and Dark Order = Rusev/Lana = proof we want this stuff. Too many things are wrong about that meme, including that AEW fans and WWE fans have little crossover. Makes we wonder if journalists are afraid to piss off Brandi because they fear losing access to Cody. But that's just a conspiracy theory on my part.

I fear Brandi blew up the division so badly Wednesday that every woman was damaged in it, even moving forward. For example, even poor Riho was booed for the tainted win. And if she refused to take the pin, it would be too weak, like old Bailey-lite.

And next week? Well, I think Kris + Shida vs Kong + Mel/w Brandi is going to lose viewers, even though Shida will be a ring general. In fact, it is well withing the realm of reality that Brandi will pull off a wacky angle/finish in Miami just to be a troll. As in...Kris turns on Shida and joins the Collective. But Tony Khan tweeted he has listened to our Wednesday feedback and is not ignoring it (moving forward, I assume), so hopefully it will not be too bad.

I get that lots of dudes don't like or understand Riho or want Kris or Shida being the champ, but there's no denying she has been in the only women matches that draw:

Riho vs. Kris Statlander gained 17,000 viewers

Riho vs. Nyla Rose vs. Britt Baker vs. Hikaru Shida gained 47,000 viewers (+34,000 in 18-49 demo)

Riho and Shanna vs. Emi Sakura & Jamie Hayter 18-34 demo was second only to Cody's famous Full Gear promo

Riho vs. Britt Baker gained 3,000 viewers

Riho vs. Nyla Rose gained 70,000 teenage girls/140,000 total girls watching

11 minutes ago, War is Raw said:

I fear Brandi blew up the division so badly Wednesday that every woman was damaged in it, even moving forward. For example, even poor Riho was booed for the tainted win. And if she refused to take the pin, it would be too weak, like old Bailey-lite.

My hope is that she crossbodied Luther instead of directly attacking Statlander in the match and then rushed to her defence after the pin - showing babyfaces coming out to help each other is one of the little things AEW is nailing - so there is no residual resentment by viewers. Watching it, I felt bad for Riho, cuz after the first bit of interference, she had the crowd chanting her name and then she and Kris put on a really good couple of minutes of wrestling and got the crowd back in the match. Then Kong interfered yet again and the finish got ruined. 

From what little I have seen, Cage is one of the relatively few big muscle guys who fits in perfectly with the modern go-go-go style. He can really move. He is very generous (perhaps even too much so) with his bumping and selling. He could be a perfect fit in AEW if they use him correctly. If I made a list of "guys who AEW should sign" I wouldn't have thought of him... but I am super excited for what he potentially brings to the table. 

And while I'm here, w/r/t AEW 1/8/20: Oh boy was the bad stuff ever bad this week! The was way more good stuff than bad stuff overall, but the bad stuff was so very very bad that it kind of tipped the balance anyway. It was a curious decision to book two screwy finishes back to back, and to also book Dark Order and Nightmare Collective run-ins back to back. Might not have seemed so bad if it had been spaced out a little. 

Brandi just does not seem suited to playing an evil heel, at all. 

Really enjoyed the good guys vs good guys  6-man. Entirely entertaining. 

The ending to the Mox/Inner Circle angle was very well done. 

7 hours ago, gordi said:

From what little I have seen, Cage is one of the relatively few big muscle guys who fits in perfectly with the modern go-go-go style. He can really move. He is very generous (perhaps even too much so) with his bumping and selling. He could be a perfect fit in AEW if they use him correctly. If I made a list of "guys who AEW should sign" I wouldn't have thought of him... but I am super excited for what he potentially brings to the table. 

Cage is a PWG guy, with everything that statement brings with it. He'll easily fit into the style, and I actually think he's probably better off working 10 minute TV matches than 20 minute epics, in that he can be fun and do big spots but isn't a master from a structuring perspective.

Migs and gordi's posts are pretty much spot on. But time marches on and the substantial bulk on his frame is catching up to him at age 35 and within the last year he has suffered a couple of injuries. This bump, in particular, caused him a lot of problems and limited his title reign.

Now he has a torn bicep.

It was very hard not to come away from following any length of time without coming away with the impression he has body dysmorphia. He keeps getting big and doesn't seem to see the issue with doing that.

1 hour ago, rovert said:

It was very hard not to come away from following any length of time without coming away with the impression he has body dysmorphia. He keeps getting big and doesn't seem to see the issue with doing that

You never want to armchair diagnose someone, but when you look at photos of the guy from his FCW days it literally doesn't look like the same person.

For whatever it's worth on the Brian Cage front, his wife Melissa Santos denied his signing and said he's still a free agent. While Tommy Dreamer said he didn't believe that Cage had signed but the torn bicep could have him out for 6 months.

A shame he missed a lot of time in Impact due to injury, especially while champion, but he managed to have some great matches there in the past year when he was active.