Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - January 8, 2020

Ricky Jackson

The best thing leading out of this show is Meltzer reviewing it and recalling the time when he got double detention in 6th grade because he corrected his teacher when she said "Elvis has sold the most records in history" and 11-year Dave apparently spoke up and said something like "That's not true, as a matter of fact, the Beatles have overtaken them as of this date." 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

Do you mean the Nightmare Collective segment? I want to make sure we are in agreement. 

Yep - was hooky like something from old TNA & with people not ready for national TV. Buried two women who seemed to have gotten over & then followed by dark order which is pretty much same angle.

11 minutes ago, MoS said:

The best thing leading out of this show is Meltzer reviewing it and recalling the time when he got double detention in 6th grade because he corrected his teacher when she said "Elvis has sold the most records in history" and 11-year Dave apparently spoke up and said something like "That's not true, as a matter of fact, the Beatles have overtaken them as of this date." 

I love that the story showed that Dave has always been Dave, and that he still is salty about it with the "....and I didn't deserve detention" line he said under his breath. 

Here's what I don't get about the Dark Order. This gimmick is obviously the shits and isn't really working. They are both good workers, and the previous video game based gimmick of Player Uno and Player Dos would probably actually get over with today's modern crowd who likely play a lot of video games. Yeah, they couldn't be called the Super Smash Brothers cause Nintendo would sue the shit out of AEW, but there have to be a million other video game related names they could come up with to name the team, no need to toss the baby out with the fucking bath water just cause you had to change your name.

If I compare to the Nightmare Collective, I see no reason to can The Dark Order because we actually now know their purpose and motivation. Right now, it's about finding out who is that "Exalted One" that Evil Uno has started mentioning. To me, they've turned the corner with that gimmick since they start airing the vignettes and everything while with the Nightmare Collective, it looks more like a Brandi Rhodes vanity project more than anything. It's been almost 2 months and we still don't know why and how this came about.

19 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Yeah, they couldn't be called the Super Smash Brothers cause Nintendo would sue the shit out of AEW, but there have to be a million other video game related names they could come up with to name the team, no need to toss the baby out with the fucking bath water just cause you had to change your name.

Which makes me wonder: How the hell is 

Spoiler

Kushida and Shelley getting away with being called TimeSplitters in NXT? I realize that's a much less famous game, comparatively speaking, but still... 

As for Brandi...

1. Pairing Brandi and Kong was a solid idea.

2. Pairing them with other female wrestlers is also solid.

3. The disconnect comes with Brandi trying to do an evil "Wicked Witch of the West" Halloween gimmick. In addition to being the drizzling shits, it's not real. People know Brandi, and they know that's not who she is. You can't really get away with that anymore, especially in AEW.

Agreed with Brandi. Trying to do you own deal is fine, and the people involved are all capable of doing something cool, but having her go from loving wife of Cody to Bae Wyatt was too much of a gimmick change too fast. No one buys it, and because it appears to be Brandi's pet project I get the impression no one wants to be the one to say something about it.

As far as Kushida and Shelley, I get the feeling everyone just assumes the team name comes from the Back to the Future gimmick and no one even thinks of the video games. Which does pose the question how has a gimmick so clearly based off a popular film franchise manage to fly under the radar in WWE?

42 minutes ago, sek69 said:

As far as Kushida and Shelley, I get the feeling everyone just assumes the team name comes from the Back to the Future gimmick and no one even thinks of the video games. Which does pose the question how has a gimmick so clearly based off a popular film franchise manage to fly under the radar in WWE?

It's fine for them to use that name in NXT, but if they ever get called up to Raw then Vince will rename them "The Time Travel Experience."

There are way too many "Is this person going to join this stable???" angles every single episode. Also, the Nightmare Collective is way too much like the Dark Order. But why the hell is Dr. Luther associated with Brandi now? It is way too odd a pairing to work.

Other than that, I'm enjoying AEW and what they're trying to do. The Moxley-Jericho angle was perfect. 

They should also introduce a six man tag team title, since they're doing so many of those matches on a regular basis (which I love to see, FWIW). 

I was around for FMW and WAR back in the day, yet I have zero recollection of Dr. Luther. This is like when I hear people talking about some random dude from the 90s working in WCW and I'd be like "when did that happen".  It's like I have parts of 90s wrestling just randomly erased from my brain.

10 hours ago, SirEdger said:

If I compare to the Nightmare Collective, I see no reason to can The Dark Order because we actually now know their purpose and motivation. Right now, it's about finding out who is that "Exalted One" that Evil Uno has started mentioning. To me, they've turned the corner with that gimmick since they start airing the vignettes and everything while with the Nightmare Collective, it looks more like a Brandi Rhodes vanity project more than anything. It's been almost 2 months and we still don't know why and how this came about.

I don't disagree with you. Brandi Rhodes living out the Goth phase her parent's wouldn't let her have when she was 15 on national television is fucking terrible. I just felt like the Smash Brothers had a gimmick that was built for modern audiences and seemingly tossed it out the window just cause they couldn't use the name.

Kenny Omega & Adam Page vs. Private Party opened with 1,013,000
Ending of Omega & Page vs. Private Party/Omega chases PAC lost 69,000
Riho vs. Kris Statlander/Brandi + Nightmare Collective gained 17,000 
Christopher Daniels vs. Sammy Guevara/Dark Order lost 48,000
Dustin & Cody Rhodes vs. Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix/Arn Anderson gained 28,000 
MJF promo with DDP, BBB, etc. stayed even
Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt vs. Trent & Chuck Taylor & Orange Cassidy lost 44,000
Chris Jericho's offer with Jon Moxley gained 73,000 
Finished 970,000 

RockNES Monsters had a better video game-based gimmick name, but maybe I'm alone in thinking that. I could definitely see how it would go over the heads of some folks.

You guys are right though. The Super Smash Bros were a fun act and a solid team. I never got behind the idea that they were the best unsigned tag team in the business at any point in time like some have touted, but they were fun and exciting for sure.

The Dark Order stuff is some 1999 Acolytes level horse shit. I feel like a pinch of brain power and an energy drink could get them to stir up a list of a dozen video game names that could work for them.