Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 06/01 - 06/07 Hiding in my bunker to avoid the collapse of civilization

KawadaSmile

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, sek69 said:

With Big E I can kind of understand it since the New Day is such a popular act they don't want to break it up, and all three of them have stated they resisted any suggestions to do so. 

There's no excuse for Keith Lee not being made the top star though. Dude's got the ability and the charisma for it and it's hard to think of any reason why he isn't other than the obvious that wouldn't make for good PR in the current climate.  It really seems they are trying to run out the clock on him til he gets to that point where Vince deems you too old no matter what logic dictates. 

I think it's their general inflexibility. How many guys have gotten over suddenly and they just don't know what to do and just kind of grind them out until they are where they should be? I also think he's staying in NXT because they stupidly put NXT against AEW and have gotten their asses handed to them in the ratings.

Let's get this out of the way.  I'm not defending WWE.  At all.

But they did have contracts signed by each of the released talents.  Those contracts gave the company the right to terminate employment subject to certain terms (notice, non-compete, termination pay, etc.).  The timing and circumstances of the releases are awful.  But what makes these terminations any worse than any terminations or furloughs by other companies? 

Perhaps some top of the card talent have guaranteed contracts without an out for the company.  Are those all deals negotiated by Barry Bloom and similar reps?  Do most talent negotiate and review contracts themselves?  Or do all contracts come with an out for the company? If so, has any talent tried to negotiate away such provisions?

I just don't quite understand the outrage here relative to any other employee let go elsewhere given that their employment contracts specifically allow for such terminations.

The outrage is for the obvious "releasing people during a pandemic is fucked up" reasons and also because it was completely unnecessary since WWE was set to have the most financially successful year ever even after Covid shut things down. Also someone (Bix maybe?) did the math and the money they are saving running TV from the PC more than offset the cost of paying everyone they let got. 

There are some companies that had to let people go to survive, which sucks but at least is defensible. WWE fired a bunch of people for basically no reason seemingly to get rid of people who had the nerve to either want to leave or ask for more money at some point.  

So yeah, TL;DR WWE's pandemic firings were worse than most since they were completely unnecessary. 

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Jinder got under the knife AGAIN. I'm really looking forward to his return, no joke.

I was too until he started doing the same "I'M BACK AND I'M TIRED OF BEING DISRESPECTED" shtick that Sheamus *just* did like a month ago when he came back.  It was like either the Random Storyline Generator pooped out the same idea twice in a row or they can't be bothered to come up with anything else for an ex champion coming back from a long layoff. 

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I was too until he started doing the same "I'M BACK AND I'M TIRED OF BEING DISRESPECTED" shtick that Sheamus *just* did like a month ago when he came back.  It was like either the Random Storyline Generator pooped out the same idea twice in a row or they can't be bothered to come up with anything else for an ex champion coming back from a long layoff. 

Hope he returns as a babyface next time. There's potential there.

That main event was a solid way to spend 20 minutes. Heel Bayley is already fun before the added ego boost of a 2nd belt, and she really hams it up after the win ("They're so heavy! So much gold!"). Nikki was much better (i.e. more competent) in the ring than last time I saw her. 

It did suffer from the "counting time/ballroom dancing" problem so inherent to modern WWE, especially tag team matches, but the build was still there and the end felt exciting. 

I thought every match on Smackdown was at least good and a couple, the main and Gulak/Styles were great. What an incredibly stacked roster. If this show had any semblance of actual pro-wrestling booking, this crew would be remembered as fondly as the 02-03, 06 and 09 crews. Hell, even 2011 Smackdown.

I agree with everyone who has said that they have botched Sasha and Bayley almost irredeemably on the main roster. Having said that, I laughed hard at this - 

This clapback was long coming and absolutely warranted. 

All this love and praise for Bayley and Sasha makes me want to see a Gordy List or similar for each of them...

I can understand if people like them; I don't see how anyone could be impressed by them as wrestlers or characters, especially given how...severe...the analysis of wrestlers often is here at PWO.

I mean, love and praise is relative. No one is advocating for them to be nominated for the WON HOF. They won't look great if put through the Gordy list, but I will say they were genuinely great in 2015 and the Sasha-Bayley feud was, in terms of the overall product, the peak of NXT.

Doesn't seem fair to rate them based on their WWE main roster work when we've seen what they can do in a different environment. It would be like grading the Rock solely on his Blue Chipper Rocky days (not to say they are at the level of the Rock but you know what I mean). 

Otis answer is like the worst possible ever. Awful PPV that marks the end of me being a WWF fan after 10 years, and godawful match too for obvious reasons. The rest is lips service to the usual ones and a PR spot. What would you expect ? At least Drew mentioned one of the right ones.