NXT TakeOver IN YOUR HOUSE PPV

KawadaSmile

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a late start on this one, was almost convinced to turn around and pretend it wasn't happening after sitting through that dreadful Code Orange performance (those guys don't always sound that shitty but boy did they sound shitty). This card does not excite me on paper. 

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/06/nxt-takeover-in-your-house-6720.html

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

And that's what happened.

Listen beggars can't be choosers at this point.  I was expecting Charlotte to hold the title for entire year and probably into next WM 

As someone has mentioned on Twitter, 3 of the major women's champions now are Japanese.  Asuka on RAW,  Io in NXT, and Shida in AEW.    As they probably should 

Read the results. I don't care what the defenders will say: they destroyed Rhea's momentum. Her title win over Shayna remains the only time NXT beat AEW in both overall audience and the target demo. She was hotter than a firecracker and it felt like they had their next gen superstar. And now she is just another name on the roster. 

2 hours ago, MoS said:

Read the results. I don't care what the defenders will say: they destroyed Rhea's momentum. Her title win over Shayna remains the only time NXT beat AEW in both overall audience and the target demo. She was hotter than a firecracker and it felt like they had their next gen superstar. And now she is just another name on the roster. 

Yeah. There's not anything one can say to justify this

They cool her off going into WM. She taps to Charlotte at WM and drops the belt. She gets beat for the belt tonight, protecting Charlotte who's presumably on her way back to the main roster full time. And it was for nothing, because Charlotte didn't increase NXT's ratings or social media imprint. 

They literally gave Rhea a gigantic push over 2-3 months for her to be just another woman on the roster right now.

Personally, I thought they should have went with Bianca. She was the more-rounded performer for me. But if they were committed to Rhea, go for it and continue the push. Instead, they did this. Confusing, to say the least.

I thought Lee/Gargano, Priest/Balor, and Kross/Ciampa made this a worthwhile view. I don't think there was anything great on this show, but a few overdeliveries and big individual moments made this better than I expected.  

I'll have my full review up on my blog soon, but some quick thoughts -

- Easily the least "must see" Takeover show in recent memory. I feel like there's been at least one WWE Match Of the Year candidate on every Takedown show going back to the first one, but this one offered nothing of the sort.

- I didn't see anything special about Karrion Kross. The first time I saw the entrance, it was cool. By the second time, I was pretty much over it. Its like a mix of The Brood's entrance, Finn Balor's Demon entrance, and Aleister Black's "evil" entrance but not as interesting or fresh as any of those - let alone any of Bray Wyatt's entrances or the Undertaker's iconic entrance. It may be really silly, but I almost feel like they should give him that helmet that Vader used to walk out with as, if I'm not mistaken, part of the gimmick is that he's almost like Bane? As far as in-ring skills go, he was fine, but again, I didn't see anything truly special. There are wrestlers who, the first time you see them, you see "It" and a lot of "It." Karrion Kross has some "It" but not enough to turn heads.

- Dream/Cole wasn't the worst "big match" of the year (that was Edge/Orton at Mania), but it was bad. There was once fear that, when he got to the main roster, Vince and the writers would "ruin" Velveteen Dream, but Triple H and the NXT staff took care of that just fine. I'm not sure where he goes from here, but I also no longer care. Similarly, there was a time when Finn Balor was seen as a potential top guy in the WWE but since going to NXT and the heel turn that led nowhere, its almost retroactively erased any and every prior accomplishment. He was the first Universal Champion? That can't possibly be the case. Next you're going to tell me Tatanka won the first King of the Ring. Like, it would kinda make sense that there'd be a reality where that happened - Tatanka was undefeated for awhile - but it would be in an alternate reality. Like Finn Balor once being really relevant.

- NXT needs a dramatic reshuffling. The opener showed that there is depth in the Women's Division, but I didn't see anyone in that match get a real spotlight, which is what they need - someone "on the rise" who will be a fresh challenge for Shirai. Is that Raquel? Is that Lerae? Is it Nox or Kai? It didn't seem like anyone left that match with momentum. Meanwhile, on the men's side of things, they really should be picking between two options right now - Keith Lee either gets called up and pushed strong on the main roster or Keith Lee wins the NXT Championship within the next month or two. Obviously Kross has momentum too but there's still time to further develop him - Keith Lee is gold right now, ready to be in that top spot. The longer they wait, the more they're going to end up with yet another guy who had potential but they let die on the vine. 

5 hours ago, DMJ said:

I didn't see anything special about Karrion Kross.  

Yeah, I don't get it either.

As much as internet fans ridicule Kevin Nash's "airport test" philosophy, this guy absolutely would not stand out in a crowd. 

Kross is a good worker with a cool psycho killer character, and he can also cut a promo. His strengths lies in wicked suplex and cool-ass shoot-stylish stuff, which I doubt WWE is gonna let him do very much (in NXT maybe, in the main roster no chance). He's not gonna have mind-blowing matches (never saw one, and I've watched him in LU, IMPACT and AAA), but he's quite a cool worker if you emphasize his strong points. I have zero faith WWE will understand that, just as I have zero faith in WWE understanding Scarlett Bordeaux. Hell, they already have reduced her down to a prop for an animatronic entrance, while she is a super character by herself. These two I really would have loved to see in AEW instead of losing years in WWE. Considering no-brainers like Ricochet have been completely wasted already, I don't see them having a shot (Scarlett maybe because she's just hot as fuck). Plus, you always risk the old "let's split them them up IRL" booking. Yeah, I was a fan of theirs but NXT was the wrong destination to me, for selfish and objective reasons (no one from NXT has made it in years on the main roster).

This Pay-Per-View as a whole was a really big miss. At least match-wise. Moment wise, there was some cool stuff. Bringing back Todd Pettengill from the moth balls for some nostalgia. The RING camera doorbell spot in Gargano/Lee was cool, as was the Pounce spot. Io being crowned the champion was a cool moment, for sure. The very obvious "make this into a .gif" moment with D-X acting clueless to computers/internet/technology. The Adam Cole ICOPro throw back commercial. 

There was some fun stuff. It's just that none of the actual wrestling was very good & NXT is usually known for the in-ring work. Even if it veers into the self masturbation congratulatory Johnny Wrestling HBK-influenced overindulgence often. 

2 hours ago, C.S. said:

As much as internet fans ridicule Kevin Nash's "airport test" philosophy, this guy absolutely would not stand out in a crowd. 

Dawg I don't know the average height where you live but if I saw a dude looking like Kross in an airport in Brazil I would immediatly think he's either a skinhead or a fighter.