Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 22, 2020

MoS

I’ve only seen Kingston/Cody but I genuinely think it’s my favourite Dynamite match yet. Kingston is a total master; every wrestler on Earth needs to watch how he sold the leg early and sold it with more and more gusto as the damage built up. Cody was right there with him and fair play for taking the powerbomb spot to get the guy over. 

Give me Kingston going after Moxley or even the Kingston/Homicide team of violent, old, angry veteran bastards. Book it, Tony.

8 minutes ago, Log said:

Listen, I speak only for myself here, but it’s very simple: If you want to “win” the “Wednesday night wars”, be the promotion that puts Eddie Kingston on my tv every week. 

I shudder to think what Eddie Kingston in NXT would look like.

4 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

His promo skills would evaporate as soon as the writers sunk their claws into him. The prospect of some backstage interviewer welcoming her guest at this time followed by Kingston threatening to send his opponent to a local medical facility while looking away from the camera is too depressing for words.

This. Not to mention what Vince and Dunn would think of him since he isn't built and has a gut, but at the same time isn't big and fat....which would either lead to a quick release, or worse yet a comedy gimmick since he can actually talk.

25 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

This. Not to mention what Vince and Dunn would think of him since he isn't built and has a gut, but at the same time isn't big and fat....which would either lead to a quick release, or worse yet a comedy gimmick since he can actually talk.

He'd end up R-Truth's wacky pal E-King, and that's assuming he'd even make it to the main roster. 

Also the shot of the front row recoiling in horror at the sight of tacks being poured in the ring did more to put that spot over than anything WWE has done in decades. 

Yeah, Kingston needs that feeling of looseness, that anything could happen. That's why he was so great on Powerrr. But he really popped on AEW because it's a tight show that allowed him to cut loose. People normally don't curse on the show with regularity, so Kingston's language was able to really pop and jump started the energy of the show.

Great show to to bottom.

Eddie Kingston ! Fucking awesome promo, terrific match. Man, I sure hope he gets signed after that one. Also, if AEW is bleeding out the NWA, just sign Zicky Dice & Kamille already.

Cody defending that title in an open challenge each week is so simple and effective to make the belt, Cody and everyone involve look more important.

The only thing listless about the Ivelisse match was the Swole promo. I'm not gonna complain every damn week, but she's a puzzling case to me, probably the only one I actually don't enjoy at all in AEW. Yeah, Diamanté looked better but she is also younger and not as injured (Ivelisse has such bad luck in LU). The finish reeks of testing waters indeed and they could be a tag team tomorrow and it would be quite cool (either that of put Ivelisse with Ortiz & Santana). Really good match, these girls beat the crap out of each others, slapping each others way more than their thighs, which was nice.

The Young Bucks vs Butcher & Blade was super fun, as was Lance Archer killing jabronies. The guy planted head first in the trash-can had me rolling.

Page vs Five was a very good competitive JTTS match. What struck me is that it was basically structured EXACTLY the same way as Five (before he joined Dark Order) match with Omega, with him getting a lot, kicking out of a big move then being pinned by not-a-finisher. So, are idiots gonna complain on Twitter about that match too or that one flew above their heads ?

Taz managing Cage & Starks (which began on Dark) = great. The incoming match should be quite fun too.

Excellent main event, Sammy getting back (I bet some Twitter dweebs do complain about that one), Hagger looked maybe the best he ever had and actually made Luchasaurus look more like a monster than he ever did.

Yeah, great weekly TV show. AEW has been on a roll since Fyter Fest.

This would seem to be a good place to remember the old quote of keeping an open mind about what things work. If something you don't think will work ends up working you just learned something else that does in fact work.  This is why I (and I would imagine others too) give AEW more of a pass on things. They aren't afraid to try things and see what works. Not sure I would have thought having a wacky backstage brawl complete with guys tossing meat at each other was the best idea, but it turns out it worked so it's on me to realize that.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

Not sure I would have thought having a wacky backstage brawl complete with guys tossing meat at each other was the best idea, but it turns out it worked so it's on me to realize that.

Wait, Sean Stasiak was backstage taking bumps for these guys ? Didn't notice.

I liked the match. Some of the YB offensive spots were too cutesy - Butcher was just sitting across a plate one YB was gently holding against his head as the other ran to hit him - but it was still a brawl and such stipulations help the Bucks because their high-flying stuff can also double as them trying to kill their opponents. I appreciated the match ending after the huge spot and not dragging on unnecessarily just to top it. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:04 PM, sek69 said:

So the end of the Bucks vs Butcher/Blade garnered over a million viewers. Wasn't expecting that to be such a hit, but here we are.

It also underlines the fact that the move for NXT has been a colossal failure. Its only purpose was to hurt AEW and prevent them from even existing. It has failed on every level. AEW, a jumpstart company not even a year old, has been mostly kicking NXT's ass, despite the fact it's a program from the biggest pro-wrestling company in the world that has been on top more or less for 30 years. NXT not only has not attracted any viewers apart from the usual old demos of hardcore WWE fans, but it has not prevented AEW from being successful and getting a big TV deal long term. And now this. The NXT brand has been hurt and has totally lost its luster. Trip has been totally exposed (although the WWE fanboys are still believing he'll save the company once Vince crooks). In the long term, what a miserable failure...

10 hours ago, El-P said:

The NXT brand has been hurt and has totally lost its luster.

I also want to mention that NXT was one of the appealing programs that, at least to me, justified having the WWE Network. A service that is dying for content. Them moving that show to USA removed one of the biggest original non-PPV content shows they had on the pay service.

1 hour ago, cm funk said:

Yup to all of the last few posts

I'm not surprised that AEW is better than NXT.  The main thing going for NXT was it didn't have the main roster stink to it.  Now it does, and WWE "creative" blows

Mike Johnson noted that NXT very recently hired 2-3 more writers for the show. The brand does need a massive rebuild of their babyfaces and tag division so they might be actually needed.

But I do regard it as unfortunate news as writers write to perpetuate their jobs. They are more likely to present ideas for skits than suggesting a 2 or 3 segment match for example.