Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/23 - 11/29 Lakers gonna three-peat

KawadaSmile

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Also, I'd argue that Cena's STF (along with the bulk of his offensive arsenal) looking like complete dogshit played a role in driving away fans over the past decade and a half. There's always some creative license involved in pro wrestling, but most of Cena's work was so blatantly fake-looking as to make it impossible to suspend disbelief. That sort of thing can be overlooked if you find a wrestler's personality sufficiently compelling, but when you consider how many fans found him actively repellent, it's no wonder they abandoned WWE in droves.

I'm pretty sure Cena being so light with those moves was a company mandate, I guess because the appearance of "choking" someone would ruin his family friendly image...or something. I agree it looked like hot dogshit. There's fake and then there's whatever Cena was doing with that move.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Look at the biggest players WWE has had: Hogan, Austin, Rock. Can we really say that their offense is any less fake-looking than Cena's?

You're reaching, Bubba. Hogan and Rock came across as UFC fighters in comparison to Cena's awful STF (although, The People's Elbow was nearly as bad).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Children choking each other was the main concern that someone in the company (Cena even?) mentioned before. Of course that could just be a way to brush off bad wrestling but it fits with company MO and it isn't as if John hasn't shown an ability to be vicious. 

Cena choked Edge out with the STF at Unforgiven 2006. I'd need to go back and see how loose his STFs were before that but I do imagine that was an example they pointed to when deciding this:

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I'm pretty sure Cena being so light with those moves was a company mandate, I guess because the appearance of "choking" someone would ruin his family friendly image...or something. I agree it looked like hot dogshit. There's fake and then there's whatever Cena was doing with that move.

5 hours ago, MoS said:

Jumbo and Stan did not use submissions

My bad, I meant that those guys were believable and hard-hitting in general, so her patently illogical and flimsy finisher should stick out like dog's bollocks on a site where Stan's work is highly respected.

5 hours ago, MoS said:

When has Sasha acted like a big athlete?

I don't know, but if you remove the adjective I'd say the answer is "every day of her wrestling life". Her bumping is athletic (unless you think, fairly or not, that gravity is doing most of the work ;) )

10 hours ago, C.S. said:

You're reaching, Bubba. Hogan and Rock came across as UFC fighters in comparison to Cena's awful STF (although, The People's Elbow was nearly as bad).

Oh, but don't get me wrong - I'm not saying their offense is fake looking as something inherently negative. I like cartoonish punches, I like irrealistic, larger than life movements much like I enjoy some realistic strikes.

Austin's stomping a mudhole isn't my go-to example of realism in pro wrestling, nor is Cena's shoulder block followed by the Proto Bomb. I love them just the same.

And, truth be told: Cena's worst piece of offense was the springboard Stunner, which came in late into his career.

3 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

And, truth be told: Cena's worst piece of offense was the springboard Stunner, which came in late into his career.

Even Austin thought it looked like shit and said Cena needed to put some "stink" in it - meaning make it look more aggressive.

48 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Is this supposed to be a double turn? Because it looks like Corbin was struggling valiantly to overcome the repeated illegal interference of the Mysterios.

Yep. It kinda sucked ass, because there was no reason for the Mysterio family to fuck with him that much.

I guess the intent was to set up a rematch with Corbin's reinforcements at ringside, but it felt totally backwards.

On the other hand, that family turning heel wouldn't be the worst of ideas based on a creative standpoint. Hell, even having Mysterio as a face but having to cover up for his chickenshit heel children would be something different.

So they had a Jeff Hardy vs Ricochet match on f'n MAIN EVENT of all things this week. Imagine having a current high flyer face off with a legendary high flyer and the best you can do is put it on the D show no one watches instead of doing a PPV build. WWE really sucks at wrestling.

As someone who gave up on WWE storylines, Main Event scratches the itch I have for good wrestling. Besides, they usually run matchups on house shows before putting them on TV. Hopefully (not likely), this is a dummy run before they put out a storyline.

20 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I remember the first episodes of Main Event in 2012 featuring several main event guys. Randy Orton worked the very first episode of Main Event.

Main Event started out on Ion TV and WWE wanted to have main event guys to show the network it wasn't going to be a throwaway show, which lasted like a month if that IIRC.

The same thing happened with "Superstars" on WGN America years ago.  They had top names on for a month or so and it quickly became a throwaway show.

The B shows have always been better for under the radar good TV matches because they're taped, less pressure, the guys get more time etc.  Velocity back in like 02-06 or so was must watch for me.

When I saw that match on Main Event I had the same thought, "woah, that should be way bigger than a throwaway on this show" but that's current WWE for you.  Looking at the recent lineups for that show you see a lot of Ricochet, Ali, Carillo, Andrade and guys like that.  The good workers they don't do jack shit with or have given up on for no good reason other than maybe Heyman wanted to push them?

I didn't watch the Corbin-Mysterio family stuff but I've heard Alvarez rant about it multiple times now

Here's my excuse for it:  Corbin has been the most annoying dick heel on WWE tv for years.  He's constantly brown-nosing and kissing up to people in power, always cheating and cheap shotting and conniving and getting other people to do his dirty work for him.  As a character he has zero redeemable characteristics.  Fuck him.

2 hours ago, cm funk said:

I didn't watch the Corbin-Mysterio family stuff but I've heard Alvarez rant about it multiple times now

Here's my excuse for it:  Corbin has been the most annoying dick heel on WWE tv for years.  He's constantly brown-nosing and kissing up to people in power, always cheating and cheap shotting and conniving and getting other people to do his dirty work for him.  As a character he has zero redeemable characteristics.  Fuck him.

Hey he said nothing wrong this episode. Basically said Dom's qualities start and end with his last name, and the family was just too quick to accept Murphy.

52 minutes ago, El-P said:

Heel Rey Mysterio. Yeah, this is WCW 2000 level.

He's not really intended to be a heel (so far at least)

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

So they had a Jeff Hardy vs Ricochet match on f'n MAIN EVENT of all things this week. Imagine having a current high flyer face off with a legendary high flyer and the best you can do is put it on the D show no one watches instead of doing a PPV build. WWE really sucks at wrestling.

You forgot to mention the best part: the match was a backdrop for Elias singing. He sang the entire match.

10 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Credit where credit is due, SC pretty much nails it here.

What is the link to this thread?

You can actually link a Reddit post and it will come up as a thumbnail that doesn't force the screen to scroll to the right like the pic does in your original post.

Edit: Found it!