Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/30 - 12/06 Romain Grosjean with the big comeback spot of the weekend

KawadaSmile

As far as Lana goes, it's as simple as this : money don't buy you happiness. Of course, there's this glorious picture with glossed-up Lana in her 100k outfit and this totally influence the perception we may have of her life, but the truth is, no one knows CJ Perry. The fact is she came off totally depressed and distressed in the WWE doc, talking about feeling lonely without her man and crying about social media harassement, you know what, you can make all the millions of dollar you want and speak 100k a year on your outfit, if you're unhappy, you're unhappy. 

Slight tangent I remember when Chris Cornell killed himself, Cornette went on a especially stupid rant (yeah, shocking, I know) about this guy having nothing to complain about because he was rich and famous and successful and how committing suicide was a cowardly thing and whatnot. Here's someone not understanding jackshit about mental health issue (hey, I can use that term too, for a change). And honestly I kinda feel like most people blabbing about mental health this mental health that actually never experienced the urge of throwing themselves under a bus, literally I mean. I know that's a digression and no one is saying Lana is actually depressed, but I just wanted to throw that out there... 

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

It should be noted Lana is only making that kind of money because she signed one of those "please don't go to AEW" deals and should not be considered the norm. 

Also it's bullshit anyone working for WWE should have to spend a penny on their own gear. It's another "independent contractor" loophole the company is abusing like how everyone has to pay for their own rental cars and whatnot. 

And yes, that too. They should be employees and that's it. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The typical WWE wrestler's take-home pay may dwarf your own even with all the work and travel expenses, but you can take solace in the fact that you don't have to fall off a ladder or get put through a table on a regular basis. Speaking of which, here's a statistic VOW brought to my attention: with the Wargames advantage ladder match on tonight's episode of NXT, 10% of all ladder matches in WWE history will have taken place this year, half of them in NXT or NXT UK. And that doesn't even count the upcoming TLC PPV. HHH is running ladder matches into the ground almost as badly as Dusty did with cage matches. With all the Shotzi Blackheart types with no regard for their physical well-being on the roster, it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured.

13 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Speaking of which, here's a statistic VOW brought to my attention: with the Wargames advantage ladder match on tonight's episode of NXT, 10% of all ladder matches in WWE history will have taken place this year, half of them in NXT or NXT UK. And that doesn't even count the upcoming TLC PPV. 

That's a crazy stat ! It's even more insane when you think that it happened during the fucking PANDEMIC year ! With mostly no crowd to pop for killing yourself.

5 hours ago, El-P said:

As far as Lana goes, it's as simple as this : money don't buy you happiness. Of course, there's this glorious picture with glossed-up Lana in her 100k outfit and this totally influence the perception we may have of her life, but the truth is, no one knows CJ Perry. The fact is she came off totally depressed and distressed in the WWE doc, talking about feeling lonely without her man and crying about social media harassement, you know what, you can make all the millions of dollar you want and speak 100k a year on your outfit, if you're unhappy, you're unhappy. 

And yes, that too. They should be employees and that's it. 

I agree with this. Wrestling fandom sometimes fuses the most abusive, toxic behavior of sports-minded fans and entertainment-minded fans. That's never a healthy mix and the number of wrestlers in this industry who have got stuff like death threats is baffling.

And to bubba @NintendoLogic point, that is also true. It's been a current criticism of the product, even - their over-reliance on gimmick matches such as TLC, MitB, HiaC and others only leads to diminishing returns. If people are trying to one up each other constantly, not only they put themselves at risk, but the matches' sole goal is to put on increasingly impressive and dangerous stunts, with little regard to the actual match.

Like, it is interesting how Triple H's concept of a "high stakes" match is often a gimmick one. His in-ring career relied on gimmicks more than anyone else's.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:02 AM, Dav'oh said:

And anything that's been near Lana's crotch is going to re-sale for many times its purchase price, so she'll always have a bus ticket home and fifty cents for a phone call.

I'm sure you didn't necessarily mean it that way, but this is a pretty gross and sexist post, man. 

I'm not one to "virtue signal" on this board - like the clowns here who went apeshit* because a couple of us had the temerity to point out that, yes, Kassius Ohno looked like absolute shit in basketball shorts or whatever his awful excuse for "gear" was - but your description of Lana basically paints her as a Blanche DuBois-level slut. I realize you were aiming your post more at the depraved "dudebros" who would buy her dress for that reason, but you're also implicating Lana in knowingly engaging in such a transaction. 

*If any of you reading this were one of those clowns - sorry, not sorry.

It is true, though, that women wrestlers can make as much or more selling pics and other merchandise to simps as they can performing. It's obviously a far cry from prostitution, but it is one of the dirty secrets of the wrestling business. It also explains why so many were up in arms over the Twitch crackdown.

Also, given WWE's history of predatory business practices, up to and including laying waste to the UK scene a few years ago, any promotion dumb enough to get into bed with them deserves to be put out of business.

20 minutes ago, rovert said:

Re: Lana spending 100k a year on ring gear maybe talk to a female wrestler or woman once like jeez.

Well... If Ric Flair or a critical/internet darling like Becky Lynch did this, everyone would be jumping over each other to praise their "dedication to the BIDNESS!" 

But because it's Lana, and "she can't work, BRRRRRRRRROTHER," everybody mocks her.

I didn't even bring it up to mock her. Other wrestlers have spent large amounts of money on less important things than ring gear. It was more to illustrate that we keep on complaining about how they are treated booking-wise, but as it turns out that is by and large a non-issue as they are making money. Lots and lots of money.

EDIT: and also not gonna lie - i wish i had that kind of wealth

I mean, ring gear might be the most fiscally responsible thing Ric Flair has ever spent his money on. 

But yes, the cost women in general have to bear (women's stuff tends to cost more), plus how much more they have to spend on (the male wrestlers don't have to spend money on hair and makeup products) is going to cause their overall take home pay to be even lower.

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

I'm sure you didn't necessarily mean it that way, but this is a pretty gross and sexist post, man

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, C.S. I should have included, "unfortunately", or some other word indicating if not condemnation, then at least a shaking of the head and a sideways "each to their own".

Angelo Dawkins looks terrible in his version of Ohno's "awful excuse for gear". I don't think Ohno had spandex leggings or a Bjorn Borg headband, though, so Dawkins probably has him beat.

4 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Angelo Dawkins looks terrible in his version of Ohno's "awful excuse for gear". I don't think Ohno had spandex leggings or a Bjorn Borg headband, though, so Dawkins probably has him beat.

That's a first to me. I mean, is he looking that different, at least in terms of pieces of clothing, from Allen Iverson?

I get that it's not necessarily a great look in pro wrestling, but given how Dawks has that sports vibe to him, it fits. And it's practical, too.

I think it works better for Dawkins, or at least isn't distracting.

With Kassius Ohno, his gear was an eyesore and a distraction. 

But pointing that out here got people accused of fat-shaming.

No, but he is a big, beefy, meat-slapping man, so it's not fat-shaming to suggest that he'd be better served in gear more suited to his look and body-type.

There have been similar discussions about Keith Lee since he got demoted to Raw and had his gear changed for no reason. 

Wrestling is an appearance driven business, and everyone involved (men and women alike) benefit from having gear that is either flattering or works for whatever gimmick they are going for. 

Just look at Kevin Owens, who has a similar body type to Chris Hero and wears similar "t-shirt and baller shorts" gear as he did. It's done in a way that isn't unflattering to him. 

It's not even a matter of fat-shaming either, WWF/E has tons of examples where they put people who aren't heavier-set in gear that isn't flattering to them at all.

It's like the reason Kevin Nash never wore short trunks in his career, because he had tiny legs due to all his knee problems from playing basketball. Saying that doesn't mean it's body shaming, it's pointing out it would not have been a flattering look for him in what again, is an appearance based business. 

The problem with Hero is that he combined a basketball jersey and speedos, which isn't a good look for anybody.

And yes, pro wrestling is a cosmetic business. That doesn't mean you need to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model, but it does mean you should follow Drew Carey's advice: if you don't have a good body, cover it the fuck up.