Pro Wrestling Only

The WON HOF 2007 thread

Bix

I'm not dvocating Moolah's inclusion.

I mean it's one thing to put someone into the HOF for sleeping with a Mcmahon or a Lutheroth.

Another to put them in for sleeping with Billy White Wolf.

That said.

Moolah sucked, and womens wrestling in the country sucked while she controlled it.

Not going to argue the later but is there any footage of her from 40's-50's or do all we have is the past prime to way past prime stuff to way way past prime stuff.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything remotely sane about this?

Latest WO.com poll:

Who do you think is the strongest of these Hall of Fame candidates?

Results So Far:

Volk Han (2.1%)

Owen Hart (20.9%)

Curt Hennig (26.8%)

Chris Jericho (18.4%)

Satoshi Kojima (2.5%)

Ivan Koloff (15.5%)

Konnan (12.8%)

Karloff Lagarde (1%)

Curt Hennig was good and all, but wow, talk about someone who is insanely overrated for whatever reason.

To be fair, the guys who respond to WO.com polls aren't the most knowledgeable bunch, and often vote in weird ways, to the point that Dave himself isn't above mocking them regularly. I honestly wonder why he keeps running them in the first place.

Yeah, I'd say it's the most casual of any possible Meltzer fanbase that vote on those polls (which are meaningless anyway). I'd say Hennig winning this poll is a result of the WWE bringing back his history in various ways (Hall Of Fame induction, AWA DVD, possible Hennig DVD, etc.).

Why wouldn't Curt be a contender? Excellent wrestler in his prime, second-generation wrestler, former World champion (yeah, the AWA belt didn't count for much by then, but he still held it), held various secondary titles, main evented in both WWF and WCW, and the only guy to be a member of both the Horsemen and the NWO. Plus, Rap Is Crap.

Hennig was good. The HOF is for wrestlers who are the greatest of all time. Attempts to make him the top heel in the WWF failed and didn't draw, and he was never the best worker in his company at any point in his career. He had a good career. He didn't have a great, legendary career.

AWA World title reign

WWF main event run

WCW main event run

Four Horseman

NWO

None of those were all that successful, and things like the NWO that were successful had nothing to do with Hennig being a member.

Secondary titles don't make a HOF career, just a respectable one.

When did Hennig ever main event in WCW?

I agree with Loss's assessment of his candidacy. Really what makes him a better candidate than a Rick Rude or a Jake Roberts or a Steve Williams, three workers who are unlikely to get in before Hennig, two of whom aren't even on the ballot?

The big three qualifiers for HOF worthiness, as far as I can see, are drawing power, influence, and work. Curt can scratch the first two right off the bat, and the third is really the least significant qualification. So the question here is whether or not Curt is a good enough worker to go into the Hall for work alone. Curt was great, to be sure, but HOF great? If his work alone is enough to get him in, it's kind of hard to explain why Regal, Finlay, Jerry Estrada, Dean Malenko, El Samurai, Tully, and Dynamite Kansai aren't even on the ballot. Put Hennig in solely on his work, and suddenly El Dandy, Pirata Morgan, Atlantis, Steve Williams, Los Brazos, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantel, Adonis, Sasuke, El Faraon, Barry Windham, Butch Reed, Chris Adams, Emilio Charles Jr., Fuerza Guerrera, Los Missionarios del Muerte, Los Cadetes Espacio, The Iron Sheik, Greg Valentine, Sgt. Slaughter, and Akira Taue all become slam dunk picks.

Forgive me for belaboring the point, but Halls of Fame are meant for the best of the best. Not every dude who won some belts and had a couple of great matches should go in.

Why isn't Bill Dundee in? Eddie and Benoit are in based on work, and Dundee was better for much longer then they were

I'm not gonna question this, because I lack the grounding in Dundee's work to do so...but if I may go off on a tangent, Phil, what are the really great Bill Dundee matches that don't have Lawler? I don't doubt they exist, but you never hear about them, and it's something I'd like to know about before ranking Dundee ahead of Eddie and Benoit.

Of course, aside from work, Dundee was a bigger draw (at least than Benoit, and for longer than Eddie) and was a successful booker. I think he definitely belongs.

Dundee vs Gilbert from 5/9/88 (I think, it aired a week or two later as Score match of the week) is a good starter for a non-Lawler Dundee match.

I'd have to think who else he has extended matches with on tape. His USWA Texas stuff might be a good place to look, as there's an excellent Dundee/Embry vs Young/Travis (I think it was Travis...) match from December '89.

Why isn't Bill Dundee in? Eddie and Benoit are in based on work, and Dundee was better for much longer then they were

I'm not gonna question this, because I lack the grounding in Dundee's work to do so...but if I may go off on a tangent, Phil, what are the really great Bill Dundee matches that don't have Lawler? I don't doubt they exist, but you never hear about them, and it's something I'd like to know about before ranking Dundee ahead of Eddie and Benoit.

Of course, aside from work, Dundee was a bigger draw (at least than Benoit, and for longer than Eddie) and was a successful booker. I think he definitely belongs.

I am currently watching boat loads of Watts, and there is a ton of awesome Dundee tags from that period. Dundee and Mantell feuded with the Fantastics and Dundee/Porkchops Cash v. Midnight Express may be one of my favorite MX matches ever.

I am currently watching boat loads of Watts, and there is a ton of awesome Dundee tags from that period. Dundee and Mantell feuded with the Fantastics and Dundee/Porkchops Cash v. Midnight Express may be one of my favorite MX matches ever.

And I am that much more psyched for the Best of the 80's Watts set.

Well, what about Dundee was so great? Not dogging on Bill, as I've worked with him and called several of his matches, but I've not seen much of his stuff from his prime and most of it seemed like a lot of punching and not much else.

I'll leave this to Phil or Bix, but please tell me you're not going to dismiss Bill Dundee because of MOVES~!?

Well, what about Dundee was so great? Not dogging on Bill, as I've worked with him and called several of his matches, but I've not seen much of his stuff from his prime and most of it seemed like a lot of punching and not much else.

I'll leave this to Phil or Bix, but please tell me you're not going to dismiss Bill Dundee because of MOVES~!?

I believe he is. Bill Dundee didn't do moonsaults like a good wrestler would.

Phil would be better to reply here, because he was once trolled by Frank Jewett into counting suplexes while watching the '85 Lawler-Dundee LLT match.

Phil would be better to reply here, because he was once trolled by Frank Jewett into counting suplexes while watching the '85 Lawler-Dundee LLT match.

Being trolled by Frank Jewett is one thing, but being trolled by Jingus is something different. If someone who isn't a known idiot wants me to explain Bill Dundee, I will go ahead and do it.

How the hell was what I said here trolling? I legitimately asked what you thought Dundee's good points were, since I've seen very little of his older work, and you just refuse and namecall?

No, I just generally don't like matches where the action is 90% punching very much. Whether it's anyone from Hogan on down. There are of course exceptions, one that definitely comes to mind was an old Funk vs. Lawler match I watched the other day where they just beat the crap out of each other and still told a story. But in general I prefer to see at least a little variety with the offense.

Being trolled by Frank Jewett is one thing, but being trolled by Jingus is something different. If someone who isn't a known idiot wants me to explain Bill Dundee, I will go ahead and do it.

Having gotten into wrestling in 1990, all I've seen of Dundee are his days as Sir William. I'd love to hear the case for him as off the top of my head he doesn't seem to compare to the Steamboat, Flair, Hansen, etc. group of HOFers from the '80s.