Pro Wrestling Only

Young Rock: A New NBC Sitcom About the Life of Dwayne Johnson

C.S.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

And Austin had dropped the Ringmaster gimmick and started going by Stone Cold while Rock was still Flex Kavana in Memphis.

Hell he literally wrestled Bret Hart the night Rocky debuted, and the buildup sure as hell wasn't The Ringmaster challenging Bret as to who the better scientific wrestler was 

For clarification, the episode was about Rock's very first tryout/dark match in March of 96 and features him being sent to Memphis afterwards, so the Ringmaster bit could still be accurate.  While Mantaur was gone by then, he did  at least have a very brief return role as Goldust's bodyguard in April of 96. 

FWIW, looked up the show on thehistoryofthewwe.com and it looks like it was a busy syndication taping day ahead of Raw in San Antonio the next day

WWF @ Corpus Christi, TX - Memorial Coliseum - March 10, 1996 (3,702; sell out)
WWF Superstars taping:
Devon Michaels & Bo Vegas (High Voltage) defeated Alex Porteau & Rod Price
Duane Johnson (the Rock) defeated the Brooklyn Brawler (the Rock's WWF debut)
Steve Sawyer (Bart Sawyer) defeated the Brooklyn Brawler (w/ Harvey Wippleman)
Ahmed Johnson & Savio Vega defeated the 1-2-3 Kid & Tatanka
Yokozuna & Ahmed Johnson (w/ Roddy Piper) defeated Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith (w/ Jim Cornette) when Yoko pinned Owen after Piper hit Owen with Cornette's tennis raquet; Piper was handucffed to Cornette for the duration of the bout
The Sicilian Studs (Guido Falcone & Vito Mussolini) defeated two unknowns
Mankind defeated an unknown (Mankind's debut)
Shawn Michaels pinned Steve Austin
WWF World Champion Bret Hart defeated the Undertaker via count-out
3/16/96:
WWF Tag Team Title Tournament Quarter-Finals: Skip & Zip (w/ Sunny) defeated the Bushwhackers when Zip pinned Butch after coming off the top behind the referee's back, moments after Skip sustained the battering ram and was covered
Duke Drose pinned Bill Irwin with the tilt-a-whirl slam
Steve Austin (w/ Ted Dibiase) defeated Aldo Montoya via submission with the Million $ Dream; after the bout, Savio Vega came out and the two men had a stare-down (Austin's 1st appearance on Superstars as 'Stone Cold')
Isaac Yankem DDS defeated Al Walker with the DDS
Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Bob Holly with the Pedigree
3/23/96 - included an in-ring interview with Hunter Hearst Helmsley conducted by Vince McMahon in which Helmsley cut a promo on facing the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania XII:
WWF IC Champion Goldust (w/ Marlena) pinned Alex Porteau with the Curtain Call
Ahmed Johnson pinned Jeff Brettler with the Pearl River Plunge
Jerry Lawler pinned Al Jackson with the piledriver and using the tights for leverage
WWF Tag Team Title Tournament Semi-Finals: Skip & Zip (w/ Sunny) defeated Savio Vega & Steve Austin (w/ Ted Dibiase) (sub. for Razor Ramon) when Skip pinned Savio after Austin hit his parnter with an axe handle off the top
3/30/96:
Savio Vega pinned Tatanka (w/ Ted Dibiase) with a spin kick
Justin Bradshaw (w/ Uncle Zebakiah) pinned Barry Horowitz with the lariat
Steve Austin (w/ Ted Dibiase) defeated Ben Greer via submission with the Million $ Dream; after the bout, Savio Vega came out to make the save but also received the Million $ Dream
The Bushwhackers defeated Johnny Blade & Joseph White following the battering ram
WWF Tag Team Title Tournament Semi-Finals: Henry & Phinneas Godwinn (w/ Hillbilly Jim) defeated Davey Boy Smith & Owen Hart (w/ Jim Cornette) via disqualification when the New Rockers came ringside and Leif Cassidy came off the top rope to interfere in the match

I know we aren't supposed to take this too seriously but when they show Memphis 1987 I believe Rocky Johnson wrestling Jeff Jarrett managed by Downtown Bruno with Jerry Lawler on commentary my mind was just couldn't comprehend how many wrong things were happening :lol:

On 5/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, hammerva said:

I know we aren't supposed to take this too seriously but when they show Memphis 1987 I believe Rocky Johnson wrestling Jeff Jarrett managed by Downtown Bruno with Jerry Lawler on commentary my mind was just couldn't comprehend how many wrong things were happening :lol:

Weirdly, Lawler on commentary bothered me the most. I take the Memphis stuff like the Hawaii stuff in that it's all very roughly accurate for the Rock's story but timelines and details are being manipulated to condense the story down to a sitcom, but seeing Lawler not even get to be a wrestler in 80s Memphis felt like a real missed opportunity.

• 5 months later...

Thought Becky Lynch was absolutely fantastic as Cyndi Lauper, that was great.

Popped for them having clips of a re-enactment of the legendary "Goonies R Good Enough" music video

Also fitting/timely that part of the plot centered on Rocky working in Saudi Arabia.

the brief Bret bit with the drawing was also fantastic. 

On 5/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, hammerva said:

I reconciled things in my mind as things accurate to Dwayne Johnson's memory. Stuff his dad was doing when Rock was 14? If he doesn't research of course he's going to fuck up details. 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:33 AM, Al said:

I reconciled things in my mind as things accurate to Dwayne Johnson's memory. Stuff his dad was doing when Rock was 14? If he doesn't research of course he's going to fuck up details. 

Oh it's getting much worse with accuracy. They had Hulk Hogan showing up at Dwayne's wedding to Dana, and I dont recall Dwayne ever talking about being good friends with Hogan in any non-kayfabe interviews.

• 1 month later...

One thing bothering me on this show that I'm struggling to research - what is the story with Rocky Johnson in Saudi Arabia leading to him getting turfed by the WWF? It seems like it may be sorta true based on the accounts online but nothing is actually descriptive on what happened.

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Who the hell is casting this show

This actually isn’t that bad compared to something like The Jesse Ventura Story, the tv movie (which aired the same night Owen Hart was killed) made by NBC ironically enough, to capitalize on the hype created by his run for governor. Gorilla Monsoon has a goatee.

I enjoy the show. I liked the guy who played Mick Foley in the Christmas episode. I mean there is a lot of awful parts but I enjoy some of the characters at times. I don't know why Randall Park has to be so goofy in the future scenes. Those scenes have just gotten worse and worse since the show started which is funny because Rock is the biggest star on there.