Pro Wrestling Only

Young Rock: A New NBC Sitcom About the Life of Dwayne Johnson

C.S.

Young Rock is the first mainstream network show about wrestling that treats it seriously and with reverence, while still being funny. (GLOW did the same thing for streaming on Netflix before being unceremoniously cancelled because of Covid.)

It's great nostalgia, great fanservice, and *gulps* the potential beginning of The Rock's campaign to become President of the United States.

What does PWO think of the show?  

xukNyrA.jpg?1

HJBMgUw.jpg?1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

A lot of fun...

Like all pilots, it tries to do too much and cram too much in (there are FOUR timelines), but it has great potential.

The 10-year-old Rock timeline has AMAZING fanservice for rasslin' fans, but anyone can enjoy larger-than-life personalities like Andre the Giant and "Uncle Iron Sheik." (LOL!)

15-year-old Rock is also very enjoyable. This is where the infamous fanny pack pic comes from, I think (although that's not in this episode).

University of Miami Rock is not quite as good, but I think it will get more interesting because it shows the hard times Rock's dad "Soulman" Rocky Johnson went through after wrestling.

Ironically, the scenes with the real Rock (and Randall Park) are the least interesting (so far). 

Overall though, a strong start with endless possibilities. Ratings are great too, so hopefully this will stick around for a while.

7 minutes ago, vikingsfan73 said:

I thought it was a fun show.  I agree that jumping all over the place in the first episode was a bit much.  I thought the actress who plays Rock's mom really looks like Lia Maivia.  

It's always hard to cast people to play pro wrestlers since most of them have such unique looks, but this show does the best job I've ever seen. 

I checked it out, and didn't much care for it.  I found it was too "all over the place" with the jumping from one time period to the next.  I also didn't find it at all funny. However, I could see how some people might find it entertaining and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anybody that.  Over the last couple of years (especially during the pandemic) I have grown to pretty much loathe mainstream network television, so I find I am getting to the point where I pretty much hate anything on TV right now.  There used to be a lot of shows I would DVR every week and follow religiously and I have dumped 90% of them, with the exception of shows like Mayans MC, Billions and Better Call Saul.

Oh, and Hell's Kitchen of course...because I'm still a mark for Gordon Ramsay screaming at people and calling them donuts or donkeys.  That's just good TV, dammit.

36 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Oh, and Hell's Kitchen of course...because I'm still a mark for Gordon Ramsay screaming at people and calling them donuts or donkeys.  That's just good TV, dammit.

As an Indian, one of my absolute favourite Gordon Ramsay lines is when he once told someone that their steak was "so undercooked, people in India are still worshipping it." Just killed me. 

36 minutes ago, Loss said:

Hard for me to get into, in part because it wasn't very good, in part because Rock's public persona is so carefully controlled that it turns me off because of the lack of authenticity.

Yeah I've had this issue with him for a while. Everything is about how he is a beast, yet he is also a role model who is inspirational and #DoTheWork and #NoPainNoGain and it's just annoying. It's like life has come full circle and The Rock has once again become Rocky Maivia

I laugh at how vapid his social media presence is. He has almost no opinions, other than that Not Working Hard is bad and Going For Your Dreams is good. I don't mean that as a major insult as much as it just makes me laugh. It's impressive how long he's been able to get away with that.

This in particular is so true and perhaps why it's so aggravating. The entire reason for his metamorphosis from Rocky Maivia to The Rock was that the former was too bland, and just not authentic. It feels strange to say this, but Dwayne Johnson talking about CHASING YOUR DREAMS and Working Hard feels faker and more inauthentic than The Rock insulting someone by saying he gets more pie in a night than they do in a lifetime, and how Triple H should check himself into the Smackdown Hotel. He genuinely seemed more real doing fake wrestling bullshit than he did when he endorsed Biden/Harris, where he OF COURSE started by saying he has voted both Democratic and Republican in the past, because God forbid he ever take an actual stand 

7 minutes ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Not surprising at all, he's just like any other celebrity being an empty vessel to protect their brand. Dwayne will have a great future in politics if he enters. 

Not sure if he's really serious when he mentions getting into politics one day, but if he does he already has the "say a bunch of stuff without saying anything" part down pat. 

Like it took the biggest disaster of a President in US history for Rock to even say what little he did, but even then having to both-sides things was irritating. 

Feels like a lot of you are harping on his bland, more political persona but forgetting he also has some legit fun stuff like his fake feud with Kevin Hart (who I don't find very funny as a standup, tolerable in some movies). I don't know, I've seen a couple of lives from dude and I've been entertained and it's never been about "chasing your dream" and his politically correct persona.

29 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Feels like a lot of you are harping on his bland, more political persona but forgetting he also has some legit fun stuff like his fake feud with Kevin Hart (who I don't find very funny as a standup, tolerable in some movies). I don't know, I've seen a couple of lives from dude and I've been entertained and it's never been about "chasing your dream" and his politically correct persona.

Maybe it's worse when you follow him on social media and are inundated by so much of "chasing your dream" and politically correct persona. I mean, it's the motherfucking Rock. Dude is probably the single most charismatic wrestler to have ever lived. Acting like a generic Instagram influencer seems so underwhelming and both funny and sad.

31 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Not sure if he's really serious when he mentions getting into politics one day, but if he does he already has the "say a bunch of stuff without saying anything" part down pat. 

Remember when Hogan appeared on...Leno, was it, teasing a Presidential run, and his response to every single question was "Right now, I am right in the middle." 

2 hours ago, MoS said:

where he OF COURSE started by saying he has voted both Democratic and Republican in the past

It's true though. He was at the Republican National Convention for George W. Bush. 

Anyway, I think you're all expecting too much from Rock's socials. If he posts cheat meals, pics of the trucks he buys for family/friends, and Kevin Hart putdowns, that's all I personally ever need from him - as long as he remains a celebrity and business owner only, that is.

I don't want him to ever run for President. I think we need to leave the idea of celebrity politicians in the rear-view mirror for good. Pro wrestling politicians are even worse. Kane has been a Rand Paul-worshiping anti-masker laughingstock, Brian Blair is a complete fucking "stop the steal" nut on Facebook, and I don't know how Ventura was in Minnesota but his conspiracy theorist shtick doesn't exactly paint the most comforting picture.

I can only assume - and hope - this framing device was designed when the assumption was that Trump was likely getting a second term - making a Rock Presidency a far more appealing thought to viewers as a nice bit of escapism from the real world. (Just like the Kiefer Sutherland show Designated Survivor was clearly created with a Hillary Presidency in mind and instantly felt dated and irrelevant when that didn't happen.)

Of course, I don't blame anyone for being cynical that the entire show is a stealth campaign ad for a future Rock POTUS run. God, I hope not.

I'm just going to enjoy the show for what it is and hope it doesn't become anything more than an amusing half-hour sitcom with some fun rasslin' fan-service. 

18 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Anyway, I think you're all expecting too much from Rock's socials. If he posts cheat meals, pics of the trucks he buys for family/friends, and Kevin Hart putdowns, that's all I personally ever need from him. 

I am not saying he should do any different, and I don't think Charles is saying that either. But I think it's funny that it makes Dwayne Johnson in general - not just in this show and even just in movies - feel bland, inauthentic, and far less charismatic than the gimmick he used to play which first made him a famous star 

Just now, MoS said:

I am not saying he should do any different, and I don't think Charles is saying that either. But I think it's funny that it makes Dwayne Johnson in general - not just in movies - feel bland, inauthentic, and far less charismatic than the gimmick he used to play which first made him a famous star 

I edited my post to add that I'm okay with that as long as he remains a celebrity and business owner only - meaning no Presidential run.

Are there actually any celebrities on Rock's level who seem more authentic? I get the feeling that all of these guys in the a-list are super-micromanaged. Before you cite someone like Pedro Pascal, keep in mind that his star is only now beginning to rise. Rock has been a top blockbuster megastar for a decade now. So, while we all love The Mandalorian, the two are not comparable (yet).

I'm not saying any of that to defend or excuse Rock - I'm just pointing out that it seems like a fact of life for those in his stratosphere. 

Just now, C.S. said:

I edited my post to add that I'm okay with that as long as he remains a celebrity and business owner only - meaning no Presidential run.

Are there actually any celebrities on Rock's level who seem more authentic? I get the feeling that all of these guys in the a-list are super-micromanaged. Before you cite someone like Pedro Pascal, keep in mind that his star is only now beginning to rise. Rock has been a top blockbuster megastar for a decade now. So, while we all love The Mandalorian, the two are not comparable (yet).

I'm not saying any of that to defend or excuse Rock - I'm just pointing out that it seems like a fact of life for those in his stratosphere. 

I don't disagree, but, there are some instances. For instance, Meryl Streep spoke about it on the stage at an awards' show. Also, this wouldn't be familiar to most people here, but Rihanna recently spoke in favour of the farmers' protests ongoing in India, earning her the ire of the Indian government and it's vast IT cell. She, hilariously, had a summons order in a district court in New Delhi. Of course, raising voices about foreign countries' protests is far easier and more convenient than doing so for your own country. But it does make Rock's vapidness stand out even more.

4 minutes ago, MoS said:

I don't disagree, but, there are some instances. For instance, Meryl Streep spoke about it on the stage at an awards' show. Also, this wouldn't be familiar to most people here, but Rihanna recently spoke in favour of the farmers' protests ongoing in India, earning her the ire of the Indian government and it's vast IT cell. She, hilariously, had a summons order in a district court in New Delhi. Of course, raising voices about foreign countries' protests is far easier and more convenient than doing so for your own country. But it does make Rock's vapidness stand out even more.

Well, those are two weird examples.

For as much as Rock is an a-list megastar, Streep is miles ahead of even that and has reached an untouchable point in her career where she can say and do whatever she wants.

Rihanna is in a different industry entirely. (Well, okay, she has done some acting - like playing Marion Crane on Bates Motel - yes, the Janet Leigh role from Psycho.)

I'll defend Rock a little bit from the standpoint that he's a double minority who grew up poor (the famous "seven bucks" story) and is probably petrified of "losing everything" like he saw happen to his dad. That is probably why he is so cautious - or "vapid," as you put it. Streep doesn't have that issue as a wealthy white woman. Rihanna isn't white, obviously, but that's a different industry and not one I am well-versed in.