Young Rock: A New NBC Sitcom About the Life of Dwayne Johnson

C.S.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

So do we think the new job is the last nail in the coffin for his presidential delusions?

tbh I don't think he ever had them. it's far more likely he enjoyed letting everyone *think* he had them.

10 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

So do we think the new job is the last nail in the coffin for his presidential delusions?

Hell no. At 51, he's still a very young up-and-comer in the realm of public office. Reagan, who also was an actor was almost 70 when he started his mandate, and was over 55 when he became the governor of California. 

Not to mention, Rock never even became President in the show anyway. The cliffhanger for the last episode had him considering founding his own country and there's NO WAY Rock could ever pull that off in real life.

30 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Dwayne was the highest paid man in Hollywood for awhile, so that means something plus I was under the impression that Reagan's career wasn't as hot, even compared to stars of the time. He was doing pretty bad movies by the end of his acting career.

Reagan was a respectable midcard level actor in his day. Leading role in B movies, the #2-3 star in the bigger movies.

Speaking of which, Nancy Davis Reagan was in an incredible movie - Talk About a Stranger (1952) - but nothing about her role was notable. She played a stock '50s housewife. Still, if it ever shows up again on TCM, I highly recommend it.

Reagan was the president of the Screen Actor's Guild when they had that huge strike alongside Aftra. On the other hand, The Rock is a HUGE multi-front entrepreneur and legit box office draw. I think there's a possible chance, specially considering what his moves were, that he wants to aim for public office. Maybe he'll start as governor?

Reagan had been politically active for years prior to seeking the governorship. In addition to serving as president of the SAG, he worked for General Electric as a goodwill ambassador and delivered a nationally televised speech on behalf of Goldwater in 1964. It was the latter that made him a nationally prominent political figure.

He'd have to start as Governor, I reckon, to have any chance at some sort of national office.

Trump is different than just being an entrepreneur/celebrity who ran for President and won based on "good feeling" popularity. He's not just Schwarzenegger on the national stage or Reagan or Bill Bradley (a former NBA player who became a US Senator). As others have pointed out, aside from Arnold, others ex-Hollywood stars or former athletes usually have some background in political organizations, activism, or unions. 

Trump's MAGA campaign was built on pretty blatant racist, anti-woman, conspiracy theory-ridden rhetoric that, at its onset, many people thought was so ridiculously far right and wacky that he wouldn't even win the Republican nomination (let alone the Presidency). But Trump doubled-down on his gimmick. He didn't just take the low road, he took the gutter. He joke about John McCain's military service and being a POW. He made fun of Ted Cruz's wife's looks because he couldn't actually debate him on policy. He crowed about not paying his taxes or ever making a single sacrifice for others. And his base grew because of it! Trump had no background in real politics or activism or even charity work. He's a mud-slinging brute and his base loves him for it. He ran on nihilism and cynicism masquerading as "Making America Great Again." Obama was all about optimism and hope, Trump was the boomerang effect.

The Rock, like Arnold, is more of a centrist and I highly doubt he'd be willing to spew the kind of garbage that Trump does to cater to the Q crowd and white supremacists that have made Trump their god. The Rock may be greedy, may have a massive ego, may be not a great person - but I'm not sure he's as morally bankrupt and PROUD of it as Trump. 

So, if The Rock were to enter politics, I do think it'd be in a scenario very similar to Arnold where he'd be elected Governor of California. And, like ol' Arnie, it wouldn't surprise me if it were as a Republican.

12 hours ago, JRH said:

Not to mention, Rock never even became President in the show anyway. The cliffhanger for the last episode had him considering founding his own country and there's NO WAY Rock could ever pull that off in real life.

Does it have an extradition treaty?