AEW Dynamite - March 3, 2021

MoS

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Read a quick article to jog my mind. Kurt Angle does sound reasonable, I forgot about him and would be a let down in my estimation. Batista crossed my mind, but seems unlikely. The article brought up Japan. It would have to be Tanahashi or Okada anything less would not make a splash in my estimation. Unless, somebody's contract is up that we dont know about, and this is a Luger Nitro jump. I am going to guess it is Kurt Angle for now. Didnt he just start a podcast? Was it with Conrad?

All the NJ guys who'd be a big deal are tied up with the NJ Cup. 

Would Mick Foley work?

I was all ready to rake @Superstar Sleeze across coals for insinuating that I am not a "good" wrestling fan but then he pre-emptively extended the olive branch lol! Shaq and Jade might have overdelivered, but that doesn't mean I was not right to expect the drizzling shits from them. Had you seen Jade's promos? They are the worst promos anyone has cut on AEW ever. It was like a bad parody of WWE scripted nonsense. I had made that comment before the match happened. 

Also, Riho is awesome! And genuinely one of the very few clear ratings draw AEW has. There's clearly something about her that resonates with fans, so I am definitely not the only one 

53 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I know you were in single digits back then, but this is pretty much what the Monday Night Wars was like on the internet. Just with worse spelling.

Sure, because you have never ranted about or hated someone that everyone else likes. I like you a lot but gtfo bro 

4 minutes ago, MoS said:

Sure, because you have never ranted about or hated someone that everyone else likes. I like you a lot but gtfo bro 

Marty wants to rave about a show and we're all talking about whether or not Christian (as much as we love him) is a major star.

Rey and Psicosis are off having a great match and everyone's babbling about Brian Adams joining the NWO out of nowhere.

Monday night wars.

4 minutes ago, MoS said:

I was all ready to rake @Superstar Sleeze across coals for insinuating that I am not a "good" wrestling fan but then he pre-emptively extended the olive branch lol! Shaq and Jade might have overdelivered, but that doesn't mean I was not right to expect the drizzling shits from them. Had you seen Jade's promos? They are the worst promos anyone has cut on AEW ever. It was like a bad parody of WWE scripted nonsense. I had made that comment before the match happened. 

Also, Riho is awesome! And genuinely one of the very few clear ratings draw AEW has. There's clearly something about her that resonates with fans, so I am definitely not the only one 

Didnt realize you made the comment before the match. I thought that was after the match. I agree the content was not very good, but I think they were doing the whole purposeful ambiguity thing with not much foreshadowing because they had no plan in mind so the content was very nebulous. I liked her cadence and conviction. She has great presence. 

Admittedly, I barely follow ratings overall and do not follow quarter hour draws at all. This shocks me. She is like not good. She is very stilted in her movements, she always waits an extra half-beat before attacking which drives me batty and she does not look she can hurt a fly. I want to point this out because I thought about this on a walk recently. It really is her stilted movements. I love Kairi Sane who is not that much bigger, but is so much more explosive, really launches herself into everything and makes wrestling feel organic. Riho looks like she is doing some terrible, overwrought dance routine. More power to you brutha and all you Riho-Maniacs out there!

How about Pat McAfee as the surprise? Punters/kickers rarely get into the NFL HOF but if one from the last 10-15 years gets in, he'd probably be the guy. Cody and McAfee have been taking jabs at each other in the press. And Tony K being a rumored PWO lurker, we can assume he's read the various threads about wrestling not reaching out to a wide audience. 

Or it could be LA Park and I would be just as happy.  

21 minutes ago, joeg said:

And Tony K being a rumored PWO lurker

This rumor is about as credible as the Sleaze Thread he allegedly started. 

If Tony ever did try to join PWO, his membership - like my original attempt - probably went unapproved for years. 

Not sure what was going on back then, but I eventually tried again and got approved quickly the second time around.

3 minutes ago, joeg said:

@C.S. really it was that tough to join the board back in the day? Damn. I'm lucky to have been one of the puroresufan/puroresu.tv guys that migrated over here during GWE. 

I don't know if they had a spam member problem (common with message boards at the time, and maybe still?) and I just fell through the cracks? I couldn't possibly say. 

4 hours ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Admittedly, I barely follow ratings overall and do not follow quarter hour draws at all. This shocks me. She is like not good. She is very stilted in her movements, she always waits an extra half-beat before attacking which drives me batty and she does not look she can hurt a fly. I want to point this out because I thought about this on a walk recently. It really is her stilted movements. I love Kairi Sane who is not that much bigger, but is so much more explosive, really launches herself into everything and makes wrestling feel organic. Riho looks like she is doing some terrible, overwrought dance routine. More power to you brutha and all you Riho-Maniacs out there!

Damn, I would give you soooo much shit for that one if we had not done this podcast thingy and I knew you're a cool guy indeed. Come on now ! Open your eyes to the greatness that is Riho !!! 

Prediction : half of the people on this board will be a bit disappointed. There, you can quote me.

Also, if I never hear anyone talk about AEW should do this or that to reach a wider/mainstream audience ever again, it'd be too soon at this point. I'm already watching. Book for me already.

5 hours ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

I know, right? Outside Cena, Brock or Punk who is really that big of a deal?

Batista, Rousey, or some very top NJ guy. Apart from those, yeah, a "huge huge star" I don't see. I mean, fucking Becky Lynch showing up with her baby would be a Lex Luger moment for sure but the odds of this happening are zilch (not that I believe any of those previous 5 are gonna show up either).

Also, the "world of wrestling" makes me think it could also be not-a-worker. Why not ? 

Honestly, I'd take Jim Johnston, because a lot of the music themes of AEW needs a revamp *badly*, especially most of the new ones (Sting is cool, Team Taz is cool, but most sound exactly the same and have no personality whatsoever).

9 hours ago, Migs said:

All the NJ guys who'd be a big deal are tied up with the NJ Cup.

All except one: Kota Ibushi. As the reigning IWGP champion, he's not in the New Japan Cup. Not only that, he's not advertised on the cards of any of the upcoming New Japan shows. He wouldn't be needed back in Japan until Sakura Genesis on April 4, so he could show up at Revolution and still have plenty of time to quarantine. He also checks all the other boxes (major star in wrestling, HOF-worthy talent, not who you would expect) and is tight with the Elite to boot. If it is Ibushi, to call it a home run would be an understatement.

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

All except one: Kota Ibushi. As the reigning IWGP champion, he's not in the New Japan Cup. Not only that, he's not advertised on the cards of any of the upcoming New Japan shows. He wouldn't be needed back in Japan until Sakura Genesis on April 4, so he could show up at Revolution and still have plenty of time to quarantine. He also checks all the other boxes (major star in wrestling, HOF-worthy talent, not who you would expect) and is tight with the Elite to boot. If it is Ibushi, to call it a home run would be an understatement.

Can’t see Ibushi signing a multi year contract though. Seems like it has to be a free agent. 

I'm pretty sure they didn't say anything about signing someone to an exclusive contract. And Ibushi used to have a deal where he was simultaneously signed to New Japan and DDT, so that'd be an arrangement he has experience with.

Also consider that most of the names that have been bandied about can probably be ruled out based on the clues we've been given. For example, look at the adjective: "Hall of Fame-worthy." Like others have said, if it was an actual Hall of Famer, you'd think they'd just say so. That likely rules out guys like Angle, Cena, and Lesnar. "It's not who you think" would seem to rule out Punk. Tony called the signee "he" on the AEW podcast, which rules out Rousey. He also described the signee as a "major, huge, huge star in the world of wrestling," which rules out someone like Christian as well as someone coming in from MMA or boxing. That pretty much only leaves the tippy-top New Japan guys. And as has been noted, almost all of them are involved in the New Japan Cup. I suppose Naito is a possibility since he got bounced in the first round, but he's part of the advertised lineups for all the upcoming shows and New Japan doesn't false advertise. Of course, it could end up being a giant bait and switch, but I think Tony has too much respect for the fanbase to pull a stunt like that.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I really fucking hope you're right. That would rule very hard.

No way. AEW ain't signing the current NJPW champ, come on.

(yes, of course, it would just blow my mind)

I'm almost surprised no one dropped the "nZo & Cass" joke yet. And so I do.

If anything, it's fun to play the guess game. That's something that AEW has brought back which was part of the fun 25 (and now I'm gonna be depressed because I'm old AF) years ago. You know, "Yokozuna is gonna join the nWo" and such. TNA's years of "we know who that is" a week after some guy got fired was not nearly as fun.

Who said anything about signing him away? It's entirely possible to have contracts with two different companies. Again, Ibushi himself had a similar arrangement a few years ago. It's not something I'd stake my life on, but I'm convinced it's a real possibility. Whoever it is, it has to be huge. Asking people to fork over 50 bucks with the promise of a blockbuster signing and then giving them Christian would be a disaster. It would take years to undo the damage.

11 hours ago, El-P said:

Honestly, I'd take Jim Johnston, because a lot of the music themes of AEW needs a revamp *badly*, especially most of the new ones (Sting is cool, Team Taz is cool, but most sound exactly the same and have no personality whatsoever).

I have been saying this for months. I am glad someone is with me. How that man has NOT been hired is a travesty.