Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 3, 2021

MoS

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but Tony's comments on AEW's podcast sure don't sound like a guy bringing in someone like Christian:

How isn't Christian Hall of Fame worthy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Cage#Championships_and_accomplishments

I don't understand this mental block at all about it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Who said anything about signing him away? It's entirely possible to have contracts with two different companies. Again, Ibushi himself had a similar arrangement a few years ago. It's not something I'd stake my life on, but I'm convinced it's a real possibility. Whoever it is, it has to be huge. Asking people to fork over 50 bucks with the promise of a blockbuster signing and then giving them Christian would be a disaster.

Hey, I would love for you to be right about this. I just can't picture it happening (but honestly, I can't picture Cena or Lesnar or Batista showing up instead so I guess I got my hopes to a lesser level already).

Totally agree about Christian like I said before. Just, no.

How is he? Unless you're talking about the WWE Hall of Fame where the only criteria is if Vince is pissed at you or not?

Tony's out here talking about a mega star and you're shocked people don't consider CHRISTIAN to fit that bill? 

26 minutes ago, rovert said:

How isn't Christian Hall of Fame worthy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Cage#Championships_and_accomplishments

I don't understand this mental block at all about it.

I mean, I've said before I like the guy and think he's great, but has anyone ever said "I'm going to buy this ticket/watch this TV show/ order this PPV so I can see Christian"......I don't think so.

15 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Tony's out here talking about a mega star and you're shocked people don't consider CHRISTIAN to fit that bill? 

No, you don't get it, *most young pro-wrestling fans* see Christian as a mega-star. ;) 

And although I like him a lot as a worker, honestly when I did the top 25 TNA match for the Pro-Wrestling Love podcast which you all have listened to of course, I could not get myself to put one single Christian match in there. He did really good there, he had some excellent matches against some great workers, but nothing that would reach the legit *great* level to me. And that's coming from someone who considered him better than Edge from day 1 when I saw him in WWF in 98. Christian is like, a great fucking hand. The best Tim Horner ever.

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

How is he? Unless you're talking about the WWE Hall of Fame where the only criteria is if Vince is pissed at you or not?

I mean, I've said before I like the guy and think he's great, but has anyone ever said "I'm going to buy this ticket/watch this TV show/ order this PPV so I can see Christian"......I don't think so.

Christian will be inducted into pretty much every Hall of Fame operating outside of the WON HOF one when gets older. A total lock. Pretending otherwise just silly. Christian is a mega star by relative standards. He got the loudest reaction at this year's Royal Rumble and was in the final four of it too.

And it is getting more and more certain that I am right and he will be the surprise on Sunday.

1 minute ago, rovert said:

Christian will be inducted into pretty much every Hall of Fame operating outside of the WON HOF one when gets older. A total lock. Pretending otherwise just silly. Christian is a mega star by relative standards. He got the loudest reaction at this year's Royal Rumble and was in the final four of it too.

And it is getting more and more certain that I am right and he will be the surprise on Sunday.

So your argument is that he will be in every Hall of Fame except the one that places merit on drawing ability, which is the primary metric of the whole mega star thing. OK. Got it.

If Edge and Christian as a duo were to show up I think that would satisfy everyone's expectations, but that obviously isn't going to happen.

However, if he turns out to be the surprise guy in the ladder match (which would fit based on his legacy) I would have no problems with that.

I just can't see Tony, man of the people that he is, really thinking he can hype up Christian as a mega star signing  and it not coming off as a disappointment.

A mega star is someone that transcends wrestling and goes into pop culture, someone my wife or parents may have heard of. I assure you my wife has never heard of Christian. She may know "that guy from Vikings," though. She definitely knows Drax.

Christian is, in ring, my favorite "ace" in WWE history. His year on top in WWECW basically helped me get back into wrestling after I dropped off in 07. I think he's the absolute master of learned psychology in week-to-week TV matches and an evolution of Bret in switching around set moves and spots to create unique narratives that build upon one another. In listening to the Edge and Christian podcast and the questions he'd ask other wrestlers or the conversations he'd have with a guy like Randy Orton, it's obvious that while Edge was far, far more worldly and better read and had broad tastes, that Christian was a wrestling genius savant and the far superior wrestling mind.

Basically, we get what you're saying. We understand the argument you're making. You don't seem to be understanding what we're saying. Instead, you're going out of your way to be flabbergasted.

I hope you're right. I'd love to see Christian get a great paycheck, have some matches against fresh opponents where he's treated with respect and given time, maybe spread some knowledge in a quasi-agent role and help the AEW guys put together interesting matches. That still doesn't mean he's a megastar. Or even a big star.

Just now, El-P said:

I was thinking about him too, but didn't he resign not that long ago ? 

He's said he wants to wind down as an in ring performer and as stated he's on the creative team for Smackdown. As much as I would like to see it, he's pretty much WWE 4 life at this point.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

A mega star is someone that transcends wrestling and goes into pop culture, someone my wife or parents may have heard of. I assure you my wife has never heard of Christian. She may know "that guy from Vikings," though. She definitely knows Drax.

Christian is, in ring, my favorite "ace" in WWE history. His year on top in WWECW basically helped me get back into wrestling after I dropped off in 07. I think he's the absolute master of learned psychology in week-to-week TV matches and an evolution of Bret in switching around set moves and spots to create unique narratives that build upon one another. In listening to the Edge and Christian podcast and the questions he'd ask other wrestlers or the conversations he'd have with a guy like Randy Orton, it's obvious that while Edge was far, far more worldly and better read and had broad tastes, that Christian was a wrestling genius savant and the far superior wrestling mind.

Basically, we get what you're saying. We understand the argument you're making. You don't seem to be understanding what we're saying. Instead, you're going out of your way to be flabbergasted.

I hope you're right. I'd love to see Christian get a great paycheck, have some matches against fresh opponents where he's treated with respect and given time, maybe spread some knowledge in a quasi-agent role and help the AEW guys put together interesting matches. That still doesn't mean he's a megastar. Or even a big star.

sek69 used the word mega star not AEW. He's a big star was last used as one by WWE in the Rumble and has 1.2 million Twitter followers despite basically never tweeting. 

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

GOldberg ?

Sure hope not.

He's signed for like 2 years.

Again it will be Christian barring a swerve or surprise.

He fits the bill, all teases to a tee and would fit in extremely well in AEW on and off-screen.

I swear whoever shows up now will be a disappointment anyway, so might as well be Christian anyway.

Wait, he's signed. And he's not a huge star.

But it's him. Unless it's a surprise. Which it is. Unless the surprise is Christian. Which would be a letdown.

I mean, Angle would fit the bill in terms of huge star. I just don't want to see him anywhere near a ring since it looks like he's tempting fate any time he does it now.  The last thing AEW needs to to be a wayward home for broken down wrestlers. That's WWE's job. 

"HoF worthy" obviously rules him out, but if Flair is heartbroken about his relationship with the Horsemen, AEW gives him his best opportunity to reconcile. All his old friends (and Dusty's kids) are in AEW, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees JJ, Arn and Tully doing well and thinks, "hmmmmmmm.....hang with the boys like the good old days, or hang around with two masculine blondes I'm not fucking?" 

Direct request for Lurking Tony: Mr. Khan, if you're lurking, an Original Horsemen reunion, please.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:37 PM, Superstar Sleeze said:

Didnt realize you made the comment before the match. I thought that was after the match. I agree the content was not very good, but I think they were doing the whole purposeful ambiguity thing with not much foreshadowing because they had no plan in mind so the content was very nebulous. I liked her cadence and conviction. She has great presence. 

Admittedly, I barely follow ratings overall and do not follow quarter hour draws at all. This shocks me. She is like not good. She is very stilted in her movements, she always waits an extra half-beat before attacking which drives me batty and she does not look she can hurt a fly. I want to point this out because I thought about this on a walk recently. It really is her stilted movements. I love Kairi Sane who is not that much bigger, but is so much more explosive, really launches herself into everything and makes wrestling feel organic. Riho looks like she is doing some terrible, overwrought dance routine. More power to you brutha and all you Riho-Maniacs out there!

Lol yeah I made the comment before the match. 

Also, yeah, Riho from the first day has been a consistent ratings draw. Every match she has ever had has increased viewers, no matter what the slot.