Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - March 31, 2021

MoS

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a vacuum not regarding what happened in previous weeks, The Christian debut was good and the Cody vs Marshall match/angle was really good. 

The Pinnacle/ Inner Circle backstage brawl was awesome and the whole feud so far has been great. 

Everything else sucked. The Matt Hardy stuff has gotten old. The Dark Order is awful and always has been. The Young Bucks melodrama is awful, always is, and even managed to taint what should have been a great 6 man. The main event didn't make any sense, this whole angle has been terrible from the beginning, but at least it's consistent which is rare in AEW.  

I'm going to keep watching because the highs are so high in AEW, but the show is so inconsistent and the lows  are so low. 

I suppose watching the last decade of WWE has caused me to have a higher tolerance for crap, but the not good stuff in AEW seems easier to bear. I suppose a lot of it comes from most of AEW's misses coming from trying new stuff that doesn't always click, which makes it easier to take.

8 hours ago, MoS said:

Christian and Kaz just did a clever little subversion of the corner top rope punch spot, so that should please @El-P

It does.

Quite the good match. All running jokes aside, I'm happy to see Christian Cage work again in the promotion in enjoy. The funniest (and honestly awesomest) thing to me is that I picture him during the creative talks about his presentation and he's like "I want my TNA theme." Yeah ! Go Dixieland !

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I suppose watching the last decade of WWE has caused me to have a higher tolerance for crap, but the not good stuff in AEW seems easier to bear. I suppose a lot of it comes from most of AEW's misses coming from trying new stuff that doesn't always click, which makes it easier to take.

Yeah, I haven't watched WWE regularly in the long time because my tolerance for crap is low... I really pick and choose what WWE I watch. I've found this board to be very useful when it comes to sifting through the dozen hours plus of WWE programing a week to find that one hour that's worth watching. 

8 hours ago, FMKK said:

Home run show

Oh yeah. As much as I thought last week's promo by QT was a mess, this week's angle was terrific, as was its execution. The rest of the show ruled too. When even Cesar Bononi looks the best he ever did, you know that's a W.

3 hours ago, joeg said:

In a vacuum not regarding what happened in previous weeks, The Christian debut was good and the Cody vs Marshall match/angle was really good. 

The Pinnacle/ Inner Circle backstage brawl was awesome and the whole feud so far has been great. 

Everything else sucked. The Matt Hardy stuff has gotten old. The Dark Order is awful and always has been. The Young Bucks melodrama is awful, always is, and even managed to taint what should have been a great 6 man. The main event didn't make any sense, this whole angle has been terrible from the beginning, but at least it's consistent which is rare in AEW.  

I'm going to keep watching because the highs are so high in AEW, but the show is so inconsistent and the lows  are so low. 

The Young Bucks doing a crap 30 second backstage promo completely tainted a great six man tag match that they weren’t even present for until the last ten seconds of the post match segment? Seems harsh. The Bucks really cannot act though.

Back to Christian, I think he fills a really nice spot on the roster where he can have a professional, no frills match that builds to a climax. Something very different than the spotfests and brawls that AEW usually excels at and a needed change of pace on the shows. There’s quite a few guys I can see him working really good matches with in this style as well. Even the blander dudes like Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky would be good opponents for him.

16 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Even the blander dudes like Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky would be good opponents for him.

Considering how great a team the North was, giving Ethan Page a really good guy to team again is the best option. Could be really good.

BTW, did Tony Khan actually bought the rights to "Where is My Mind" ? If so, I want more of this, and Orange Cassidy is de facto the coolest pro-wrestler ever.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Considering how great a team the North was, giving Ethan Page a really good guy to team again is the best option. Could be really good.

BTW, did Tony Khan actually bought the rights to "Where is My Mind" ? If so, I want more of this, and Orange Cassidy is de facto the coolest pro-wrestler ever.

It's getting coverage in music circles, which is pretty cool. https://pitchfork.com/news/pixies-where-is-my-mind-is-orange-cassidys-new-aew-entrance-theme/#:~:text=Pixies' classic Surfer Rosa song,extremely laidback star Orange Cassidy.

Legitimately awful ratings this week. It's becoming a pattern. I think it's clear now that the AEW-Impact partnership that was supposed to change the face of wrestling or whatever hasn't really worked out. Impact's numbers are down lower than they were before this angle started, and AEW's ratings are declining pretty steeply. There's no focus, no direction, and the Good Brothers are just not interesting, and should never have been pushed this hard. 

9 hours ago, FMKK said:

Back to Christian, I think he fills a really nice spot on the roster where he can have a professional, no frills match that builds to a climax. Something very different than the spotfests and brawls that AEW usually excels at and a needed change of pace on the shows. There’s quite a few guys I can see him working really good matches with in this style as well. Even the blander dudes like Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky would be good opponents for him.

AEW Dynamite doesn't need 20 minute Christian matches though. That's my biggest concern going forward. 

14 minutes ago, Coffey said:

AEW Dynamite doesn't need 20 minute Christian matches though. That's my biggest concern going forward. 

This bizarre anti-hard on for Christian is so irrational. The quarter hours haven't been published yet. AEW had a weak lead-in with a film endlessly aired on TNT and Christian's match was never advertised as the opener. 

My comment didn't have anything to do with ratings. I didn't know anything about ratings was even posted or out. I don't follow that shit because it doesn't matter to me.

My issue is with giving ex-WWE wrestler Christian at 47-years-old 20-minute matches on your new, upstart, alternative wrestling program that you want to differentiate itself from WWE. 

Christian is a fine worker. He's also boring as fuck.

Both AEW and NXT ratings are down and both shows received major praise. Who cares ? Unless you're working in the office, I don't even get this fixation with ratings from the fans of either brands. From now on they'll both go unopposed, it'll be good for both of them. 

There's no use in denying it. Dynamite's ratings have been in a free fall since Revolution. The 1-2 punch of hyping up a Christian signing and the exploding ring that wasn't may have done even more damage than we realized. Overpromising and underdelivering to that degree is just about the worst thing you can do when you're trying to present yourself as the anti-WWE.

No one is denying anything. Some people just don't give a fuck (you now, the infamous "toxic fans" :lol:). I loved the show this week, I couldn't care less if it got bad ratings.

That being said :

5 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

The 1-2 punch of hyping up a Christian signing and the exploding ring that wasn't may have done even more damage than we realized. Overpromising and underdelivering to that degree is just about the worst thing you can do when you're trying to present yourself as the anti-WWE.

That may very well be true. We've been made fun of with the Christian deal from day one, actually even before it happened, but the "huge huge star" announcement fell flat on its face hard (to the point they almost backpedalled into "Christian is a really good worker" mode almost immediately). If that had this effect on me, the Official AEW & Omega PWO Stan (or something) just picture the effect on some less hardcore AEW fans. 

I would like for them to take a step back and stop chasing moments that people forget as soon as they happen. I don't have any real sense of where AEW would like to be a year or even six months from now in terms of what they're setting up. It will hopefully not be a case where we reach the end of 2022 and Jungle Boy, Will Hobbs, Ricky Starks, Sammy Guevara and others are still being groomed for a future that never seems to arrive.