Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Major League Wrestling

spaldoni

AWA is coming in hot... the one thing I see here that is spectacular is how you built up that lawler/Rich feud... blew it off.... but then stoked the coals again and continue to make it special. I had a hard time giving up Bad News because he can be so dynamic and we'll see that right here in AWA. I am excited to see how and where he goes here.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 7-1-87

ring.jpg.6685bd9c84c982000a5099741f977605.jpg

Lance Russell: Hello everybody and welcome to another exciting edition of AWA Major League Wrestling. Tremendous show lined up as we head into a big Independence Day weekend. Listen to this main event. Ricky Steamboat teams up with Tom Zenk and TV Champ Nick Busick to take on Larry Zbyszko, Terry Taylor and Kevin Kelly. AWA World tag team champs Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami will be in action as well. Fans, the AWA has two big cards happening this weekend. First, on July 3rd, the AWA will be at the Mecca in Milwaukee. Then, on July 4th, we'll be at the Mid South Coliseum. You will hear about both cards throughout this program. At the Mid South Coliseum, Tommy Rich will defend the AWA world title against my guest at this time, Jerry "The King" Lawler.

lawler.jpg.7202793afa6a4c006d2626dc2929d3ac.jpg

Huge pop as Lawler walks out, smiles and raises his fist.

Lance: Ok Jerry, it all happens on Independence Day at the Mid South Coliseum. You get your shot at the AWA world title, a title you've held more than once.

Lawler: Lance, you know how bad I want to be AWA champion again and where better to win it than Memphis? Tommy Rich has been an absolute disgrace and beating him for the title would be icing on the cake. 

Thundering boos as Rich and Baby Doll come out.

tommy.jpg.3df03030a01d7e69bfbf8ecf64dcb877.jpg2105483320_babydoll.jpg.7988824becd399ba1f2ff833033414d5.jpg

Lance: Tommy, do I need to call Security? Come on now.

Baby Doll: Jeez, just relax, will you Lance? 

Rich: Yea, you're not calling anyone Lance! I'm the AWA world champ and that gives me the right to do whatever I damn well want. Lawler! You talk a big game bud, but you must have a short memory. I mean why would you want to even show your face in Memphis again? You want to talk about being a disgrace. I sent you packing and I did it in Memphis! Some hero you are. 

Lawler: Tommy, how many times has your lackey here (points at Baby Doll) saved your title? Is she out here to save you again? (Looks at Baby Doll) You know, you could do a lot better than this chump.

While the fans cheer, Tommy cheap shots Lawler and hits him across the head with the title! Rich starts putting the boots to Lawler but Security swarms him quick. 

Commercial Break 

Footage from 2 weeks ago is shown as Rip Morgan attacks Scott Putski with his chain! 

Scott "Powerhouse" Putski vs. Neil Jordan 

putski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpg

Putski is on his A game tonight and wins the match with the Polish Hammer! 

Resnick: Scott Putski, it's you and Rip Morgan at the Mecca. 

Putski: Rip Morgan is a sick and twisted individual. He made a big mistake, using me as some kind of an example. Morgan! You're going down to the Polish Hammer, simple as that. 

Commercial Break 

The Cripplers (Rip Oliver and Kerry Brown) vs. Arthur Moore and James Rafferty 

oliver.jpg.d2e9250547ed055503dda41da84cb1e2.jpgkbrown.jpg.51d831f490b1d9753075cc03fd520aa6.jpg

Cripplers live up to their name as they punish their opponents the entire match. The match ends when Oliver hits a backbreaker on Moore and holds him, while Kerry comes off the middle ropes with a knee drop to the chest. 

Cripplers cut a promo about their match with the Wild Bunch at the Mecca. They say payback is coming with interest! 

Commercial Break 

Jerry "Alright" Allen vs. Todd Rooney 

allen.jpg.b44fa23b3fe60e2e4393e56f48362e22.jpg

Allen is impressive tonight and finishes things off with a Missile Dropkick. 

Resnick: Congratulations on another fine victory. However, you have a tall task ahead this weekend at the Mecca when you face Bad News Brown. 

Allen: Ken, I'm riding a wave of momentum right now and I'm ready for Bad News Brown. (Allen pumps his fists) Alright! 

Commercial Break 

Billy Jack Strong vs. Trent Watkins 

billy.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpg

Strong annihilates his opponent and hits the shoulder breaker for the easy win. As he's done in previous weeks, Strong picks up his fallen opponent and hits another shoulder breaker. Strong feeds off the fans boos and picks Watkins up for another shoulder breaker.

Cheers as DJ PETERSON hits the ring and nails Strong. DJ attends to Watkins. Strong staggers up and charges DJ. Both men trade punches and fight to the outside. They keep fighting as officials rush out to stop it. 

Commercial Break 

Footage from last week is shown of what went down between Steve Keirn and Alberto Madril. 

Resnick: After that, it's now official. Keirn goes one on one with Madril at the Mid South Coliseum. Switching gears to the Mecca. El Canek will defend the AWA International title against this man, Gama Singh.

Singh: Ken, I would like for you to refer to me as the Great Gama Singh. I've earned that name. 

Resnick: Ok, the Great Gama Singh. Now, I understand you're out here for a couple reasons. 

Singh: That is correct. First, I want to say that I will be the next AWA International Champion. This is long overdue and I am more than ready. Canek doesn't know what he's in for. He will be outwrestled and outmatched. I am also out here to introduce a new tag team coming to the AWA. They will make their debut this weekend at the Mid South Coliseum. 

Resnick: Are you saying you're now a manager as well? 

Singh: You can say I'm a consultant. Please stand up and show respect for Cobra and Scorpio. The team known as Venomous. 

Cobra and Scorpio come out.

Resnick: 2 Cold Scorpio! What's going on here?

Scorpio: As you know, I've been trying to find my way in the AWA. Well, I found it! 

Scorpio pulls out a mask and puts it on. 

Singh: Scorpio just needed a bit of guidance and a partner he could count on. He now has both. Ken Resnick, trust me, Venomous has what it takes, just watch! 

cobra.jpg.62d019d2a8dbb40b7f20875c706adb0e.jpgscorp2.jpg.02f9dd455c9557ec5246ac4c06be361a.jpg

Commercial Break 

The Dream Machine vs. Stu Jersky 

machine.png.e180c5330c37db45d22411e07c479f58.png

Dream slams Stu down and follows with 3 jumping elbow drops for the win. 

Resnick: Dream Machine, lately you and Bob Armstrong have had some serious issues. With Bob coming out ahead. 

Dream: Watch your mouth Resnick! Armstrong! At the Mid South Coliseum you're mine babay! You hear me! You're through Armstrong! Done! 

Dream pushes past Resnick. 

Commercial Break 

Polynesian Power vs. Sam Smith and Raymond Cruz 

kokina.jpg.f9f06b888f30e4c1a37fbeaab73456ba.jpgsnuka.jpg.96e95419cbbdc9b69d07261afa06ad3f.jpg

Kokina hits the Samoan Drop and Snuka follows with the Superfly Splash for the exciting win! 

Polynesian Power cut a promo on their upcoming match with the Original Midnight Express at the Mecca. Snuka says they're going to chop the competition down on their way to a title shot. 

Commercial Break 

The camera zooms in on the glowing 'Beauty Shop' sign, then pans down to Brenda Britton. 

britton.jpg.5aec91034fa6881ddb8f0e304ad2e2e2.jpg

Britton: Hi everybody and welcome to the highest rated segment in wrestling, the Beauty Shop. (Looks over at Yoshiaki Yatsu) Yoshi, have I told you that you're the best bodyguard money can buy? 

Yoshiaki bows. 

Britton: Ok, as always everything happens right here. Tonight, we're going to get some good information. My guest is one half of the Olympians, Brad Rheingans. 

Cheers as Rheingans comes out. He nods at Yoshiaki and gets a respectful bow in return. 

Britton: Now Bradley, you're normally not the kind of guest I have on my show. Because, well, I always found you a bit boring. However, you have some info and that intrigued me. Tell us about your partner Bill Kazmaier. 

Brad: I may not be the most charismatic Brenda, because I prefer to do my talking in the ring just like my Olympian partner Bill Kazmaier. Unfortunately, Bill suffered a serious quad injury and will be out of action for quite some time. 

Britton: (Yawns) That's a shame. Sooooooo, what's next for you? 

Brad: (irritated with Brenda) I had a long talk with Bill and he wants me to carry on. Bill, you're a true friend and a heck of a partner. I have nothing but respect for you.

Britton: Blah, blah blah, get to the point. I'm starting to regret having you as a guest.

Brad: Let me tell you something Brenda, you've never competing in anything in your life, so you don't have a clue what an injury does to an athlete. I would walk out but I want the fans to hear this. I will be continuing in the tag team ranks. I have brought in a Natural, my old tag team partner, Mark Fleming! 

Cheers as Fleming walks out in a wrestling sweat suit. 

bradr.jpg.49257ef1337b50e83953d543fa369183.jpgfleming.jpg.80e9d15ee8801ea0a345a67ffb2e84e9.jpg

Brad: In his time away, Mark went on and had a great run with the NWA TV title. This man is a wrestling machine. He's back and better than ever. 

Fleming: That's right! The Technicians are together again and ready for action! 

Britton: Well, I didn't see that coming. What a turn around! Ok, I'm happy now. Until next week, tooooodles. 

Commercial Break 

AWA World Tag Team Champs Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vic Dutro and Willie Lopez

jumbo.jpg.e38382b7b41404e93f709d4286cb5935.jpgtatsumi.jpg.1e1834386b7e892b94d52b8d478288cd.jpg

The champs are crisp tonight. Tatsumi hits a double underhook suplex on Lopez and tags in Jumbo. Jumbo hits a sheer drop powerbomb (Big Pop from the fans) for the win. The fans applaud as Jumbo and Fujinami hold their titles high before exiting.

Resnick: Wow! The world champs are just awesome. They will be defending their titles against the Glamour Boys at the Mid South Coliseum. And don't forget, at the Mecca, The British Bombers will face the Quebec Coalition for the vacant National tag titles. That transpired from WrestleRock when Jumbo and Fujinami won the titles vs. titles match....

Resnick is interrupted by Norvell Austin and The Original Midnight Express.

Norvell: I just can't let this go Resnick! My boys should be wrestling for the World titles! Not those pretty boy make up wearing punks, the Glamour Girls! 

Resnick: Look Norvell, shouldn't your boys be focused on Polynesian Power? 

Norvell: Glamour Boys! I promise! You will not get that title shot! No way! 

They all storm off. 

Resnick: Our main event, when we come back. 

Commercial Break 

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, TV Champ Nick Busick and "Z-Man" Tom Zenk vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko. "Mr. Magnificent" Kevin Kelly and "Terrific" Terry Taylor w/The Vin Man 

The fans get a solid 15 minute match. The tide goes back and forth and everybody gets a chance to shine. Everybody who has issues get in their time with each other. Busick and Kelly, Taylor and Zenk and Steamboat and Zbyszko. Tempers flare at the end, which leads into a pier six brawl. Busick and Kelly fight to the outside. Vinnie tries to interfere but Busick knocks him down. Steamboat hits a flying press on Zbyszko, which sends both men over the top rope. Zenk goes for a Thesz Press on Taylor, but Taylor holds on and hot shots Zenk on the top rope 1..2..3! Taylor quickly rolls out of the ring and holds his arms high as he backs up the aisle smiling. 

July 3rd- AWA at the Mecca in Milwaukee

July 4th- AWA at the Mid South Coliseum

AWA @ The Mecca, Milwaukee WI 7-3-87

awa2.jpg.f9782ae0c524d7a10c4fdd27cab51447.jpg

Bad News Brown vs. Jerry "Alright" Allen 

Brown brutalizes Allen in the opening minutes. Allen makes a comeback and goes for his missile dropkick, but Brown ducks it. Allen staggers up as Brown puts him down with the ghetto blaster for the pin. Brown puts his boot on Allen's chest and raises his fist while the fans boo. 

The Cripplers vs. The Wild Bunch w/Nelson Royal 

These two teams have a back and forth 8 minute slugfest with Oliver rolling up Barr for the pin during a pier six brawl. The fight continued after the match. Cripplers win this battle, but the war rages on.  

"The Beast" Rip Morgan vs. Scott "Powerhouse" Putski 

Putski gives Morgan more than he bargained for and at one point nailed Morgan with the Polish Hammer. However, the blow sent Morgan through the ropes. An overly eager Putski kept interrupting the Ref's count, which allowed Morgan to finally get back in the ring. Putski went for a back drop but Morgan nailed him with the big boot to get the abrupt pin. 

Corporal Kirchner vs. Commando Boone 

Neither man ever gets in the ring and just brawls around it and back up the aisle, making the match a NO CONTEST. 

Polynesian Power vs. The Original Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin 

Pretty good tag team showcase for both teams. During the match, Norvell kept telling the front row fans, that his guys should be wrestling for the world titles. While Norvell was focused on this, Snuka sends Condrey through the ropes with a jumping headbutt. Kokina hits Rose with the Samoan Drop. The crowd goes crazy when Snuka goes to the top for his Superfly Splash. Wait a minute! Snuka is pushed off by CARLOS COLON! TNT and CURTIS IAUKEA hit the ring and beat down Kokina with kendo sticks. Colon stomps away on Snuka. The Ref signals for the DQ. Norvell and Condrey get Rose out of the ring. They bail quick. Meanwhile, Colon, TNT and Iaukea do a serious number on Polynesian Power. It looks like Iaukea, Colon and TNT are back! 

AWA TV Title Bout

Nick Busick (C) vs. "Mr. Magnificent" Kevin Kelly w/The Vin Man 

Busick has things well under control until that sneaky Vin Man caused a distraction from the apron. Busick lifts Vinnie off his feet, but Kelly nails him with a forearm blast from behind. Kelly takes control and has Busick in serious trouble, scoring several near falls. Kelly clamps on his full nelson! Vinnie is jumping up and down, screaming at the Ref to ring the bell. Never underestimate the power of Busick. Busick uses all his strength and breaks the hold. Kelly tries to clamp it on again but Busick mule kicks him. As Kelly rises, Busick hits the spinebuster slam outta nowhere for the pin! Vinnie is on his knees crying as a weary Busick hops on the turnbuckles and holds his TV title high.

For the AWA National Tag Team Titles 

The British Bombers vs. The Quebec Coalition w/Frenchy Martin 

It's a funny thing here. Both teams are heels but are wrestling a hard hitting and technically clean match. The fans get into this as both teams go at it hard for 15 minutes. The tide turns several times with both teams showing off outstanding teamwork. The fans are on the edge of their seats as they witness near falls from both sides. Tempers flare and we get a pier six brawl. The Ref guides Dave back. Charland swings Smith to the ropes and Frenchy hits Smith's back with the Quebec flag! Smith staggers into a clothesline from Charland 1..2..3! The fans boo Frenchy big time for ruining a classic. Dave doesn't know what happened and starts questioning Charland. From behind, Lefon hits Dave. The Quebec Coalition put Dave down with a spike piledriver! Now we know who the real heels are. Frenchy is ecstatic as he runs in the ring and hands his team the National tag titles. They hold them high as Frenchy waves the Quebec flag behind them. The Quebec Coalition are the NEW AWA NATIONAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! 

AWA International Title Bout 

El Canek (C) vs. "The Great" Gama Singh 

What a way to end the show. Canek and Singh go 45 strong minutes. Canek uses his strength to overpower Singh but Singh puts his technical skills to work. Canek can go air as well and almost pins Singh with a reverse flying press from the middle ropes. Later on, Singh fly's to, almost pinning Canek with a flying dropkick from the top rope. Canek brings his submission game but Singh won't give up. Singh regroups and goes on a suplex onslaught but Canek refuses to go down. After more action, Singh clamps on the Cobra Clutch! Canek fights it and slams Singh backwards into the turnbuckles. As Canek staggers around, Singh hops on the middle ropes hits a sunset flip 1..2..NO! Canek kicks out. Singh picks up Canek for a slam but Canek cradles him 1..2..3! Singh kicks out a half a second too late. The fans cheer and keep cheering because they witnessed a classic. Canek offers his hand to Singh. Singh pauses, then just walks away. Canek holds his title high to the cheering fans. 

First Hammond.

Rich starts the night off with one last  cheap shot to the King ahead of their big title rematch.

Powerhous may be in for the fight of his life at the Mecca.

The Cripplers look ready to go.

I got a feeling Allen won't be feeling "alright" when Bad News gets ahold of him.

Solid squash by Strong leads to a fun brawl with Peterson.

The Great Gama has some Venomous new allies.

Dream Machine is primed & ready for Armstrong in the Mid-South Coliseum.

Polynesian Power looking strong going into the Mecca.

The Natural returns to the AWA & The Technicians are back together. 

A squash by the World Champs was always gonna get a pop.

Austing completely ignoring Resnick's question made me laugh but i hope he takes Polynesian Power more seriously come belltime.

Lots of talent in that closing six man tag. You just know Taylor is gonna be crowing over pinning Zenk.

On to the Mecca.

BNB makes a statement in his first match.

Cripplers win round 1 but there's much more to come.

Putski just couldn't overpower The Beast.

Kirchner & Boone couldn't be bothered to wait for the bell.

Iaukea & his two remaining killers return & do some serious damage to Polynesian Power.

Busick overcomes the numbers game to mount another successful defense.

Frenchy's men are taking the National Tag titles back to Quebec!

Canek send the crowd home happy with a hard fought win.

Love a good multi-man brawl on the undercard!

Great visual with Nick Busick powering out of the full nelson!

The Bombers got screwed here! I hope they figure out a way to get some measure of revenge! Good stuff!

I'm really pleased to see the spotlight El Canek is getting! Epic main event!

AWA @ The Mid South Coliseum 7-4-87

The Memphis Sell-Out crowd is amped up and ready for action when Jerry Jarrett walks out and informs them that the Glamour Boys will not be able to wrestle for the AWA world titles tonight. He didn't have all the details but it appears they were involved in some kind of accident in the parking lot and had to be taken to the hospital. He hopes to give an update next week on TV. Jarrett then informs them that the title match will still take place. Jumbo and Fujinami will be defending the titles against the Bruise Brothers! 

Venomous (Cobra and Scorpio) vs. Gene Ligon and Tim Patterson

Pure showcase for Venomous. Cobra hits a snap suplex on Patterson. Scorpio follows with a 450 Splash for the win. They're heels but they're exciting. 

"Dynamite" DJ Peterson vs. Billy Jack Strong 

These guys are pretty evenly matched and go at it pretty hard. Strong is in control and attempts to put DJ away with the shoulder breaker. DJ wiggles his way out, grabs Billy from behind and hits a belly to back suplex for the pin. A few seconds later, Billy gets up and pushes DJ. They have a shoving match until officials hit the ring and break them up. 

"Terrific" Terry Taylor vs. "The Z-Man" Tom Zenk 

After 10 minutes of fast paced back and forth action, Taylor rolls up Zenk off the ropes and grabs a handful of tights, but Zenk carries the momentum over and grabs a handful of tights to get the 1..2..3! Big Pop as Zenk rolls out of the ring, holds his arms high and walks backwards up the aisle smiling at an irate Terry Taylor. 

"The Fabulous One" Steve Keirn vs. "Everybody's Compadre" Alberto Madril 

After only a couple weeks, these two already have a heated program going on. It shows as they have some furious exchanges mixed in with some solid wrestling. Keirn is in control and sends Madril through the ropes with a dropkick. Madril staggers up and appears to be walking away. Keirn goes out after him. Madril takes the easy way out, grabs a chair and hits Keirn! The Ref immediately calls for the DQ. Madril pauses, shrugs his shoulders and hits Keirn with another chair shot. BOOOOOOS! 

AWA World Tag Team Title Bout

Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami (C) vs. The Bruise Brothers 

The fans are torn because they love both teams. No matter what, these teams give them plenty to cheer about. The Bruise Brothers bring the strength and power. Fujinami puts on a wrestling clinic while Jumbo shows off his strength. 15 minutes in, Jumbo hits a gut wrench suplex on Snowman, then heads over and starts to climb the ropes. From out of nowhere, TONY ATLAS hops the guard railing, runs over and yanks Fujinami off the apron. Atlas grabs Fujinami and nails him with a jumping headbutt to the back of Fujinami's head. Jumbo sees this and jumps off the top rope and runs towards Atlas. Cameron nails Jumbo with a spere! The Ref has no idea what's going on. Atlas hoists Fujinami up and throat drops him on the guard railing. The Bruise Brothers pick Jumbo up and stereo headbutt him, then swing him to the ropes and put him down with a double running axehandle to the head 1..2..3!!! The fans are shocked! What just happened??? Atlas runs in and hands the titles to the Bruise Brothers. Atlas raises their arms as the Bruise Brothers hold the titles high. 

Winners of the Match and NEW AWA World Tag Team Champions- The Bruise Brothers 

Intermission 

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong vs. The Dream Machine 

After what just went down, Armstrong and Dream brings the crowd back. Fists fly as they just clobber each other. Dream takes control and almost puts Armstrong away but Armstrong holds on. Dream gets cocky and starts shuffling and throwing punches, but Armstrong blocks them, does a shuffle of his own and lays into Dream. Armstrong uppercuts Dream over the top rope. While the Ref is holding Armstrong back, Dream puts a foreign object in his mask. Dream staggers up to the apron. Armstrong grabs the ropes and slingshots Dream into the ring. Armstrong picks up Dream but Dream rakes his eyes and gives him a loaded mask headbutt! Armstrong falls back and down. Dream covers 1..2..3! More BOOOOS! 

World Title Contender's Rematch

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko 

Last time they went to a draw, tonight there will be no time limit.

To the shock of everyone, Larry doesn't stall and nails Steamboat with a spin kick to the gut as soon as the bell rings. Larry puts his martial arts skills to use as he controls the early minutes. Steamboat comes alive and chops away on Larry, then follows with a nice sequence. The tide turns several times during the next 45 minutes, with each man scoring several near falls. Larry gets control and hits a swinging neckbreaker 1..2..Steamboat gets his foot on the rope. Larry's pissed and spends way too much time berating the Ref. Larry swings Steamboat to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Steamboat swings back and hits a flying press 1..2..3! Huge Pop! Steamboat celebrates as Larry punches the canvas with his fists. 

AWA World Title Bout 

Tommy "Wildfire" Rich (C) w/Baby Doll vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler 

The Memphis fans have been waiting 6 months for this rematch. You talk about opposite reactions. Rich gets nuclear heat, while the fans blow the roof off the place when Lawler comes out. Lawler's sporting a band aid on his forehead from that title hit by Rich on TV. After the introductions, Jerry Jarrett once again addresses the crowd. The fans go nuts when Jarrett bans Baby Doll from the match. Rich and Baby Doll have a meltdown and leave the ring. Jarret informs Rich that if he doesn't get back in the ring, he will be stripped of the title. After a heat filled couple minutes, Baby Doll is escorted out, while Rich reluctantly gets back in the ring. 

The match is everything the fans thought it would be. Lawler pummels Rich for the first few minutes. Rich is a bloody mess. Rich finally makes a comeback and has Lawler bleeding. Rich pulls out all the heel tricks but no way is Lawler going down. The tide turns when Rich goes for the Thesz Press but Lawler holds on, spins him around and snake eyes Rich on the turnbuckles. The fans go wild when Lawler stands up and takes his strap down! Rich lays against the turnbuckles, begging for mercy. Lawler shakes his fists and nails Rich with kicks, stomps and punches. Lawler pulls Rich out and slams him down. Lawler goes to the top rope and holds his fist high. The place is electric as Lawler hits the flying fist drop. Lawler stands up, picks up Rich and is going for the piledriver. WHAM! Lawler is nailed from behind by a masked man! The Ref has no choice but to signal for the DQ. The fans are livid. 

The masked man stomps away on Lawler, picks him up and piledrives him down. The masked man revives and helps Rich up. The masked man takes off his mask. It's AUSTIN IDOL!!! The fans are in riot mode as extra security comes out. Rich and Idol smile and hug. They look down at Lawler and put the boots to him. They drag him to the corner. Rich and Idol roll out of the ring. They each grab Lawler's legs. They yank him and smash Lawler's groin into the steel post! Lawler is in agonizing pain. The fans get crazy and throw trash everywhere. Several fans get by Security. Rich and Idol are escorted out by Security. Fans are around the ring and try to chase after Rich and Idol. It's a dangerous situation as more Security comes out. They have to make room for the Medics. After minutes, the Medics take Lawler out on a stretcher. Fans and Security are everywhere. Pure chaos! After this explosive night, the fans probably wont need to see a fireworks show. 

Winner of the Match by DQ- Jerry Lawler. However, the title does not change hands. Still AWA World Champ- Tommy Rich 

Enjoyed the show from the Mecca.  I think you made a statement here that you do not always need a World Title Match to give the fans their money.  This card did a nice job a building on some great angles.  I am really enjoying Snuka vs Colon.  This is going to be awesome!  Bully is also having a great TV title run!  

Now on to the Mid-South Coliseum... My favorite arena in the game!

Loving Taylor, Zenk, Keirn and Madril are great here in the mid-card.  I love these feuds and wonder when they are done if we good just switch opponents.  Taylor vs Keirn could lead to a big AWA star chasing a title.

Did Tony Atlas just act the heel!  Wow... I don't care... Heel or babyface, I love the Bruise Brothers!

I think the loaded mask has become one of my favorite finishers in this hobby... The Bullet will be back!

I had a feeling that Wildfire Rich would find a way to keep the title after Steamboat got the win but I never expected it to be Idol!  I never saw Memphis Wrestling as a kid but watching it on tape makes me think it was the best promotion out there!  Who will Lawler get to even the sides?  Can't wait!  Awesome shows!

Venomous show promise as a energetic heel duo.

BJS gets the win but the issue with Peterson clearly isn't settled.

Z-man shows Taylor that what goes around, comes around.

Madril doesn't appear to be bothered by things like DQ losses.

What a shock! The Bruise Brothers are the new AWA World Tag Team Champions thanks to...Tony Atlas? And why do I get the feeling he knows something about why the Glamour Boys couldn't make it for their match?

Dream Machine dodges the bullet.

Larry Z cuts to the chase but it doesn't pay off. Steamboat earns himself a title shot.

The Universal Heartthrob is back in Memphis & what better way to announce it then screwing Lawler out of the world title?

Great way for the people of Memphis to spend their independence day.

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 7-8-87

Footage is shown of the Mid South Coliseum riot, courtesy of AWA World Champ Tommy Rich and the returning Austin Idol. 

Lance Russell: Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of AWA Major League Wrestling. Boy, do we have a lot to talk about. You just saw the footage of what went down in Memphis. Joining me now is the AWA President, Jerry Jarrett. Go ahead Jerry.

Jarrett: Thank you Lance. Words cannot express how upset I am right now. First off, Jerry Lawler has suffered a groin injury, but the good news is, he should be back in just a few weeks. I also wanted to give an update on the Glamour Boys. It appears that they were attacked and assaulted in the Mid South Coliseum parking lot and were then taken to the hospital. I will get to the bottom of this and when the Glamour Boys return, their world tag title shot will be waiting for them. Right now, I want Tommy Rich, Austin Idol and Baby Doll to come out here right now! 

Thundering boos as Rich, Idol and Baby Doll make their way out. Rich kisses his world title and raises it high. 

Rich: Look here Jarrett! When you introduce me, show proper respect and introduce me as the AWA world champion. I damn well deserve it! And you know it! 

Idol: Listen up Darling! The last time I was here, that joke Ricky Steamboat was holding the World title. I'm so happy the AWA now has a world champ the fans can depend on. 

Rich: Damn Austin, It's great to have you back. We had one hell of a reunion in Memphis! Hey Lawler! I bet you're having a hard time hitting the high notes huh? 

Jarrett: Enough! Tommy Rich, since you've won that title, you've been nothing but a disgrace. I don't think you've won a match without some kind of interference. Now, I've always said that I will stand by a Referee's decision no matter what. 

Rich: That's right! You said that! 

Jarrett: However! Enough is enough! You and your buddy here caused a riot at the Mid South Coliseum. That will not go unpunished. Tommy Rich, I am stripping you of the AWA world title! 

The fans go nuts with cheers.

Rich, Idol and Baby Doll are having a big time meltdown. 

Idol: You can't do this! 

Jarrett: Idol, you're lucky I don't suspend you! Tommy, hand over the title.

Baby Doll: This is an outrage! Don't do it Tommy! 

Jarrett: Hand it over Tommy.

Rich: Well Jarrett, after 6 months, you finally found a way to screw me out of the title. First, you banned Baby Doll from the match in Memphis. Yea, you banned a licensed manager. Oh, I bet you had Lawler's celebration all planned out. There was just one problem. Lawler didn't win the title! So, what do you do? Strip me of the title because several drunk idiots couldn't control themselves. And where was Security? I get it, they were in on it as well. You're nothing but a lowlife Jarrett. You suck! 

Rich drops the title on the ground. Him, Idol and Baby Doll storm out.

Jarrett picks up the title. 

Jarrett: (takes a deep breath) Here's what's going to happen. As a special gift to our fans, next week, here on TV, there will be a battle royal. The winner will be crowned AWA World champion. And for the record, neither Tommy Rich nor Austin Idol will be competing in the battle royal. I also want to announce that as soon as Ricky Steamboat gets back from his tour of Japan, he will indeed get a title shot. Ken, I know this isn't an ideal situation, but their antics caused a riot and jeopardized the safety of our fans. The AWA needs a world champion and that will happen next week. 

Lance: A lot to take in. Well, you heard it. Right here, next week, there will be a battle royal to crown a new AWA world champion. My goodness. 

Commercial Break 

The Technicians (Brad Rheingans and Mark Fleming) vs. Sam Smith and Neil Jordan 

bradr.jpg.49257ef1337b50e83953d543fa369183.jpgfleming.jpg.80e9d15ee8801ea0a345a67ffb2e84e9.jpg

Rheingans swings Smith to the ropes and hits a sidewalk slam, then tags in Fleming. Fleming executes a Fisherman's Suplex for the win. The Technicians are off to a good start. 

Commercial Break 

"The Latin Heartthrob" Al Perez vs. Carl Kellerman 

alp.jpg.385babc5f99261bd7642a5fc6931960f.jpg

Former AWA National tag team champ Al Perez makes his return from a successful tour of Puerto Rico. Perez looks sharp and crisp before hitting the Helicopter Drop for the win. 

Perez cuts a promo saying he's focused and ready for a single's run. 

Commercial Break 

Footage from Memphis is shown as Tony Atlas interferes and helps the Bruise Brothers defeat Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami for the AWA World tag titles! 

cameron.jpg.9a3062af92b41b9e4224044b78503c0e.jpgsnowman.jpg.8707a32a546277c3841293ff0d0c1573.jpgatlas.jpg.aeceb2b810ca79d7f91aa2a5858eded3.jpg

Resnick: Fans in Memphis witnessed one of the most shocking upsets in AWA history. Tony Atlas showed up out of nowhere and helped the Bruise Brothers defeat the most dominant team of 1987, Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami for the AWA world tag team titles. Joining me right now are the new champs. along with Tony Atlas. 

Atlas: Did I hear you call it an upset? Why would you say that? Look at these two specimens! Do they look like underdogs? Stupid comments like that is what I'm talking about. For months I've been watching the Bruise Brothers get disrespected. For months they were overlooked and snubbed out of a title shot! For months Jumbo and Fujinami have been ducking them! I finally had enough and called my old buddy Larry Cameron. I told him it was time to take matters in our own hands and do something about it. Well, opportunity knocked, we were home and now the Bruise Brothers are the world champs.

Snowman: Tony Atlas made us see the light and look at us now! Champs! Bottom line! 

Cameron: You were so right Tony! Hey Resnick, you know what the best part is? 

Resnick: What?

Cameron: We're invoking the Freebird rule! 

Atlas: That's right! There's 3 Bruise Brothers now and you won't know which 2 will be wrestling. The AWA and all the tag teams are just going to have to deal with it! 

Snowman and Cameron hold up the titles as Atlas does a double bicep pose. 

Commercial Break 

"The Beast" Rip Morgan vs. "Crusher" Jerry Blackwell 

rip.jpg.79204e93ea07378975a297575080f041.jpgblackwell.jpg.b38866d2536b43a560d8890a4449474f.jpg

The bell rings and Morgan charges wildly, swinging away at Blackwell. Blackwell fires back and these two have a furious slugfest. Blackwell swings Morgan to the corner and charges in but Morgan runs forward and clotheslines Blackwell down! Morgan angrily stomps down on Blackwell, swings off the ropes and hits a jumping knee drop 1..2..Kick Out. Morgan picks up Blackwell and swings him to the corner and follows with a running shoulder thrust. Morgan follows with several more shoulder thrusts. Morgan swings Blackwell to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Blackwell comes back and puts Morgan down with a shoulder block. Blackwell regroups.

Morgan staggers up as Blackwell mows him over with another shoulder block. Blackwell picks up Morgan and slams him down. Blackwell swings off the ropes and goes for a big splash but Morgan moves. Both men are laid out. 

Morgan and Blackwell slowly rise, then slowly trade big punches. It gets heated and the fists start flying faster. Both men fight through the ropes. They continue to fight around the ring while the Ref counts. Blackwell slams Morgan's head on the apron and rolls into the ring as the Ref hits 10. Blackwell gets the C.O. win! 

Resnick: Jerry Blackwell, you get the win tonight in a hard fought match up. I've been told that you will be in next week's battle royal. All the marbles for a chance at the AWA world title.

Blackwell: It's an opportunity...

Resnick: Watch out! 

Rip Morgan clotheslines Blackwell from behind with his chain! 

Morgan: He wont get through me, that's for sure! 

Resnick is about to say something, but Morgan scares him off with his chain. 

Commercial Break 

AWA National Tag Team Champs The Quebec Coalition w/Frenchy Martin vs. Gus Jenkins and Ray Glader 

lafon.jpg.0e70bfc688990f8c2716cc05b521c209.jpgcharland.jpg.f9285405741e55c8e529a2262081f7e6.jpgfrenchy.jpg.4a3f521b7a51982d6e031fd38e330704.jpg

Charland hits an inverted piledriver on Glader, then tags in Lefon. Lefon swings off the ropes and hits a senton for the win. 

Frenchy waves the Quebec flag as the new champs proudly show off their titles. 

Resnick: I guess congratulations are in order as the Quebec Coalition defeated the British Bombers to win the vacated National titles. But I must say, I was disappointed in your interference Frenchy. I mean, did you really have to ruin a classic match?

Frenchy: Who are de champions? 

Resnick: Well, the Quebec Coalition.

Frenchy: Then, there is your answer. (Charland and Lefon smile and nod) We will put de titles up against any team. If de Bombers want to be humiliated again, so be it. No team can defeat my men. All their hard work has paid off and they will reign supreme for a very long time. 

Commercial Break 

There will be no Beauty Shop this week. However, the following advertisement was paid for by Brenda Britton. 

Have you seen this man? If so, please contact me as soon as possible at 555-Shop! 

morrow.jpg.712675a327c62249763b97627a642937.jpg

Resnick: Ok, I guess Brenda Britton is on a search for the whereabouts of Gerry Morrow. Along those lines, I want to bring out Norvell Austin and The Original Midnight Express.

Norvell: Come on Resnick, what's so urgent? 

Resnick: For weeks you've been threatening the Glamour Boys by saying they won't make it to their world title match. Well, they didn't. I have to ask, did you and the Midnight Express have anything to do with that? 

Norvell, Condrey and Rose share a good laugh. Norvell pulls out his wallet and takes out a piece of paper.

Norvell: As much as we would like to take credit, we just can't. And believe me, we really want to say it was us because those make up wearing sissy boys deserved a beating and we wanted to give it to them. But, don't worry, we'll get our chance. (Holds up the paper) This right here is a motel receipt. As you can see, we were in Milwaukee when that went down. (Laughs) Nice try Resnick but we're innocent. I'm sure glad Brenda Britton didn't hire you to find Gerry Morrow. As for the Glamour Boys, we'll be waiting boys. 

Norvell, Condrey and Rose have another good laugh before leaving a puzzled Resnick.

Commercial Break 

Carlos Colon and TNT w/Curtis Iaukea vs. Vic Dutro and Willie Lopez 

colon2.jpg.0b1809729f06a5a88182ec6ebdf57b33.jpgtnt.jpg.ec22f0acd9d3ea514ac84d75e11cb190.jpgcurtis.jpg.d653a32aa2083b1bc8c32108b2dba9a2.jpg

Pure squash. Colon hits 3 backbreakers on Lopez, then tags in TNT. TNT applies the Boston Crab and it's all over. Colon runs over, grabs Dutro and hurls him out of the ring. Iaukea hits Dutro several times with the kendo stick. 

Resnick: Well, I can't say I missed you...

Iaukea: Did you think we would just walk away? Kokina is weak and will be taken care of! Snuka! You made a grave mistake interfering in our business and now you must pay! 

Colon: I've waited almost 2 months! Now the time has come! Kokina and especially you Snuka, it is payback time! 

Iaukea: We have returned and nobody is safe! 

Commercial Break 

"The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko vs. Trent Watkins 

1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

Larry pummels his opponent before finishing him off with a swinging neckbreaker.

Resnick: Larry, you and Steamboat put on another classic match. Ricky Steamboat was victorious and will get a title shot when he returns from Japan. However, after everything that went down, you find yourself with another world title opportunity because you will be in the battle royal next week.

Larry: It's exactly where a man of my caliber should be. An average wrestler would be distraught in my shoes. But the way I see it is Ricky Spudhead's win was nothing but a fluke. I will win the battle royal, I will be the AWA world champion, and Steamboat will be contending for my title. 

Commercial Break- An advertisement is shown for the AWA's next closed circuit event

Collision at the Coliseum, Saturday September 3rd from the Alumni Coliseum 

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong vs. Todd Rooney 

armstrong.jpg.f8eb98fbbeddcdeb6ab2023cee55703e.jpg

Bob gets a huge pop as he hits the piledriver for the win. 

Resnick: Bob Armstrong, it's always a thrill watching you in action. I know you're excited because you just got word that you'll be in next week's battle royal for the AWA world title. What do you think of all this? 

Bob: After what happened in Memphis, I think Jerry Jarrett made the right call. That opens up....

Boos as Tommy Rich, Austin Idol and Baby Doll come out.

Rich: Who the hell are you to say it was the right call! Oh yea, I forgot, you must be one of Jarrett's golden boys. 

Idol: Or maybe he's Lawler's puppet! 

Bob: Watch it Tommy. I took care of you in Continental, and I have no problem doing it again. 

Rich: Oh you must be a real tough guy Armstrong. But there's two of us. Wait, make that three! 

Wham! Armstrong is hit from behind by DREAM MACHINE! 

Rich, Idol and Dream triple team Armstrong. Rich and Idol hold Armstrong as Dream grabs a wooden chair and shatters it over Armstrong's head! Rich grabs the mic.

Rich: This is what happens when you mess with me or my friends! You made a big mistake stripping me of my title Jarrett! As you can see, I'm fired up! 

Next week's AWA World Title Battle Royal participants 

Larry Zbyszko

Jerry Blackwell

Gama Singh

Bob Armstrong

Dream Machine 

Bad News Brown

Rip Morgan

Corporal Kirchner

Commando Boone

DJ Peterson

Kevin Kelly

Scott Putski 

Terry Taylor

Steve Keirn

Tom Zenk

Alberto Madril 

Billy Jack Strong 

Al Perez 

AWA opens with a bombshell announcement, Rich is stripped of the World title & battle royal to crown the new champ takes place on free TV next week!

The Technicians haven't missed a beat.

Perez is ready to break out on his own.

Atlas officially becomes the third Bruise Brother & immediately becomes a champion thanks to the Freebird rule.

Morgan & Blackwell both have to be considered favorites in next week's battle royal.

I have to agree with Frenchy, the results speak for themselves.

Morrow's gone missing! Quick check wherever they sell champagne!

The OMNE have an ironclad alibi. The plot thickens.

Iaukea's killers are as dangerous as ever.

Larry Z is never shot on confidence.

Let the hype for Collision in the Coliseum commence.

Rich, Idol & now Dream Machine? I'm not sure the AWA can handle all this heel heat.

Man that battle royal is stacked.

AWA @ The Tyndall Armory, Indianapolis IN 7-10-87

Corporal Kirchner defeated Tim Patterson with a Fireman's Carry Slam

Venomous w/Gama Singh defeated Salvatore Bellomo and Stoney Burke- Cobra executes a snap suplex and Scorpio follows with a 450 Splash for the win. Gama nodded with approval. 

Bad News Brown defeated Gene Ligon with the Ghetto Blaster

The Original Midnight Express w/Norvell Austin defeated The Cripplers- During the match, Nelson Royal came out and distracted the Cripplers and the Ref. While the Ref was trying to get Nelson to leave, the Midnight Express ambushed a distracted Kerry Brown and hit the double flapjack. The Ref turned around and made the count

Billy Jack Strong defeated "Dynamite" DJ Peterson- DJ went for a charging shoulder thrust in the corner but Strong moved and rolled him up with a handful of tights for the win

"Terrific" Terry Taylor and "The Z-Man" Tom Zenk battled to a Double C.O. 

The British Bombers defeated The Wild Bunch w/Nelson Royal- During the match, the Cripplers stormed ringside and beat the tar out of Nelson Royal. The Bombers took advantage of the distracted Wild Bunch with stereo German Suplexes. The Ref said the heck with it and counted both Barr and Cooley's shoulders. 

"Everybody's Compadre" Alberto Madril defeated "The Fabulous One" Steve Keirn by DQ- This time Keirn shrugged his shoulders and hit Madril with a chair

AWA TV Title Bout  

Nick Busick (C) defeated "Mr. Magnificent" Kevin Kelly w/The Vin Man- Kelly proved once again to be a serious threat but, in the end, Busick sends the fans home happy with the Spinebuster Slam! 

What a TV show!

I must admit that I am a little disappointed at how Wildfire lost his title but that is only because I am a Tommy Rich fan.  I think you made a great choice as a feud that includes Rich, Idol, Dream Machine, Bullet and Lawler doesn't need a title to sell tickets.

Looking at the Battle Royal names, I have no idea who the next champ will be.  This is going to be fun!

Some interesting mysteries going on here in the AWA...  Where is Morrow?  Who attacked the Glamour boys?  This will be fun to watch.

The whole Iaukea, Colon, TNT vs Snuka and Kokina feud has my really interested.  Could Snuka be the one to finally stop the reign of terror that Colon has been causing in the AWA.

This AWA version is so much better then what I watched on ESPN as a kid.

AWA TV @ The Hammond Center 7-15-87

Footage from last week is shown. Jerry Jarrett strips Tommy Rich of the AWA world title!

It's then announced that Tommy Rich, Austin Idol and Baby Doll have been banned from the arena tonight. 

Lance Russell: Hello everybody and welcome to another exciting edition of AWA Major League Wrestling. This will truly be a show to remember. Tonight's main event will be an 18 man battle royal for the AWA world title! That's right, you are going to witness history with a new world champion crowned tonight. As if that wasn't enough, Nick Busick defends the AWA TV title against Randy Rose of the Midnight Express. AWA International Champ El Canek will be in action. And the Cripplers will do battle against current rivals, the Wild Bunch. All that and a lot more. Let's get to the ring. 

The British Bombers vs. Oliver West and Neil Jordan 

taylor.jpg.a981a145b2b50a2e73016e2aadfdd056.jpgsmith.jpg.6377b3c6f4cf938ac07416c1e2170002.jpg

The fans have really rallied behind the Bombers of late. Bombers please the fans with a win when Smith clips West behind the knees as Dave blasts him with a running forearm. 

Resnick: Dave Taylor, Johnny Smith, you guys get another chance at the National tag titles next week at the Louisville Gardens. If it wasn't for Frenchy's interference last time, I believe you would be standing here with the titles. 

Dave: We've been known to break the rules, but we made a pact with Frenchy and his boys to go at it clean. They broke it and now all bets are off. 

Smith: The belts are coming home with us and Frenchy better stay out of our way! 

Commercial Break 

AWA TV Title Bout 

Nick Busick (C) vs. Randy Rose w/Norvell Austin and Dennis Condrey 

busick.jpg.de786178dd6ea45803150bf04ad2153c.jpgmidnites.jpg.c8ee58e1244698a8e5e3d07b1cd8e14d.jpg

The bell rings but Norvell and Condrey distract Busick as Rose nails Busick from behind with a high knee. The Ref gets Norvell and Condrey out of the ring. Condrey stomps on Busick, picks him up and hurls him to the outside. Rose distracts the Ref as Norvell and Condrey put the boots to Busick. Rose goes to the outside and hurls Busick back in the ring. Rose slams Busick, then hops up on the turnbuckles and hits a slingshot splash 1..2..Kick Out. Norvell berates the Ref. Rose picks up Busick, swings him to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Busick swings back and nearly decapitates Rose with a clothesline. 

Busick regroups, picks up Rose and slams him down hard and follows with a standing leg drop. Norvell hops on the apron and yells at Busick. Busick heads over and grabs Norvell. Rose staggers up and charges but Busick moves as Rose sends Norvell flying with a high knee. Busick quickly grabs Rose, swings him to the ropes and hits the Spinebuster Slam 1..2..3! Condrey is busy helping Norvell and doesn't realize what just happened. He finally looks up and sees Busick standing on the turnbuckles holding his TV title high. 

Commercial Break 

An advertisement is shown for the AWA's next closed circuit event, Collision at the Coliseum, Saturday September 3rd, Alumni Coliseum. 

Venomous w/Gama Singh vs. Todd Rooney and Ray Glader 

scorp2.jpg.02f9dd455c9557ec5246ac4c06be361a.jpgcobra.jpg.62d019d2a8dbb40b7f20875c706adb0e.jpg

Venomous is in high gear the entire match. Cobra hits a tilt 'o whirl backbreaker on Glader, as Scorpio follows with a 450 splash for the win! Gama leads them to ringside.

Resnick: I have to say Gama, this team is impressive. 

Gama: That is an understatement. This team is going to change this sport forever. 

Resnick: No argument here. Switching gears, you get a chance at the world title later on in the battle royal. 

Gama:  It is about time I'm getting the recognition I deserve.  I will prevail because this is the moment I've been waiting for. I am the Great Gama and don't you forget it! 

Commercial Break 

The Cripplers vs. The Wild Bunch w/Nelson Royal 

Before the bell rings, these teams tear into each other. Nelson tries to interfere but is quickly mowed over. The Ref declares it a no contest but both teams continue fighting. They brawl to the outside, all around the ring and into the commercial break. 

Commercial Break 

No Beauty Shop this week but Brenda Britton promises she'll be back next week. She did pay for the following announcement. 

Have you seen this man? If so, please contact me ASAP at 555-SHOP 

morrow.jpg.309b00d4a4e21499f90a56871cd37371.jpg

Commercial Break 

"The Japanese Fury" Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. Vic Dutro 

yatsu.jpg.0520a191e68d995aaa8186d657670498.jpg

Since the Beauty Shop is on hiatus, Brenda's bodyguard Yatsu decides to keep his skills sharp. He nails Dutro with a karate kick, picks him up and hits a belly to back suplex for the win. 

Resnick: Tremendous victory for Yoshiaki Yatsu. Another great International star competing in the AWA. On that note, I understand Ricky Steamboat along with former AWA world champs Jumbo Tsuruta and Tatsumi Fujinami are having a very successful tour of Japan. As announced, Ricky Steamboat will get an AWA world title shot when he returns. And once Jumbo and Fujinami's contractual dates are met, I'm sure they will get a rematch for the AWA world tag titles. 

Commercial Break 

AWA International Champ El Canek vs. Willie Lopez 

canek.jpg.b144562d8ceffccc2c1b875970131df6.jpg

Canek looks awesome as he hits a Gorilla Press Drop/Backbreaker for the win. The fans cheer as Canek holds his title high. 

Resnick: El Canek's International title reign has been nothing short of fantastic. Well fans, I understand we have some pre recorded comments from former AWA world champ Tommy Rich and Austin Idol. I guess we'll hear from them now. 

Rich and Idol are standing in the parking lot of the Hammond Center. 

Idol: I can't believe it! The Universal Heartthrob comes back to the AWA and this is the welcome I get? I shouldn't be surprised Tommy. As long as Lawler is around, Jarrett will always be in his pocket. 

Rich: I'm still so pissed off! Baby Doll's so upset, she couldn't even be here. Jarrett is nothing but a stooge on Lawler's payroll. Look at us! On the outside, looking in! I don't care what happens, I'm the real AWA world champ! This is all Lawler's fault! He's such a child! He couldn't hang with me in the ring and here I am without a title! 

Idol: Tell them darling! 

Rich: Jarrett! You can't stop me! I have friends in high places and we're tak'n over the AWA! Get ready because we're fired up! 

Commercial Break 

Lance: Fans, please welcome out AWA President Jerry Jarrett. 

Jarrett comes out with a case, opens it and pulls out the AWA world title.

Jarrett: In just a moment, 18 men will compete in a battle royal for this here, (Holds up the title) the AWA world title. I'm looking forward to presenting this to the winner. Best of luck to all of them. 

Battle Royal for the AWA World Title! 

One by one, the introductions are made. 

Participants- Larry Zbyszko, Jerry Blackwell, Gama Singh, Bob Armstrong, Dream Machine, Rip Morgan, Bad News Brown, Corporal Kirchner, Commando Boone, DJ Peterson, Kevin Kelly, Scott Putski, Terry Taylor, Tom Zenk, Alberto Madril, Billy Jack Strong, Al Perez and Steve Keirn. 

The bell rings and the fists start flying! After a couple minutes of cluster fighting, Morgan charges Blackwell but Blackwell back drops him over the top rope! Morgan staggers up and grabs his chain, he wants Blackwell's blood, but Security quickly escorts him out. 

Rip Morgan eliminated

Putski and Kelly are tied up on the ropes, when Bad News Brown runs over and scoops them both out. Kelly and Putski stagger up and Kelly clotheslines Putski down before leaving. 

Kevin Kelly and Scott Putski eliminated

Kirchner has Boone reeling with punches but Boone rakes his eyes and hurls him over the top rope.

Corporal Kirchner eliminated

Blackwell, Armstrong and DJ team up and slowly hurl Boone over the top. 

Commando Boone eliminated 

DJ turns around and is clotheslined over the top by Billy Jack Strong

DJ Peterson eliminated 

The feud fights go down as Zenk battles Taylor, Madril and Keirn go at it. Dream Machine and Armstrong hammer away on each other, 

Zbyszko looks at Perez and shakes hands with his former National tag partner. They toss Billy Jack Strong over the top rope. 

Billy Jack Strong eliminated

Larry high fives Perez and then nails him with a spin kick! WHAT! Larry has words with the fans and picks up Perez. Larry hurls Perez over the top rope but Perez holds on! While Larry turns his back, Perez pulls himself back over, grabs Larry from behind and hurls him over for a huge pop.

Larry Zbyszko eliminated. 

Bad News quickly grabs Perez and hurls him over. 

Al Perez eliminated 

On the outside, Larry starts a shoving match with Perez but officials quickly break it up.

Gama Singh hits a flying press on Blackwell, but Blackwell catches him and dumps him over.

Gama Singh eliminated 

After a furious exchange, Keirn hurls Madril over.

Alberto Madril eliminated

Keirn turns around as Taylor nails him with a flying 5 arm. Keirn stumbles back as Madril (from the outside) pulls the rope down. Keirn goes over and out. 

Steve Keirn eliminated

Taylor holds his arms up in joy, turns around and gets super kicked over the top rope by Zenk,

Terry Taylor eliminated

Zenk turns around and gets nailed by Bad News. Bad News hurls Zenk over. 

Tom Zenk eliminated.

Dream Machine and Bob Armstrong fight over the top rope and eliminate each other.

Dream Machine and Bob Armstrong eliminated

Another battle royal starts on the outside as Madril. Keirn, Taylor, Zenk, Armstrong and Dream hammer away on each other. It's finally broken up with extra security coming out. 

It's down to Bad News Brown and Jerry Blackwell! Winner take all! 

Both me circle slowly circle each other and then charge! The fans are up and cheering as Blackwell and Brown go at it. Brown rakes the eyes and swings Blackwell into the corner. Brown charges in but Blackwell sticks up his boot as Brown hits head on. Blackwell picks up Brown, swings him into the opposite corner and follows with an avalanche! Brown slowly falls forward and down. The fans cheer as Blackwell picks up Brown but Brown nails him with a lowblow. Blackwell goes down as Brown rolls over to regroup. Brown grabs the ropes and helps himself up. Blackwell slowly staggers up but Brown nails him with the Ghetto Blaster! Brown picks up Blackwell and hurls him over the top!!!

The Winner of the Battle Royal and NEW AWA WORLD CHAMPION- BAD NEWS BROWN! 

1523393988_badnews.jpg.f11c2fc3ef6a3d2afbd8ef4b160b3e85.jpg

Jerry Jarrett walks in the ring with a mic and title.

Jarrett: Congratulations Bad News Brown. I proudly present to you, the AWA world championship. Once again, the new AWA world champion, Bad News Brown...

Brown snatches the title and mic. 

Brown: I don't need your congratulations! I don't need cheers from these beer belly sharecroppers! I don't need anybody! I came here to win this here world title and I did it! I'm daring anybody to take this from me! I'm the world champ and that's bad news for every wrestler in the AWA! 

Brown holds up the title and raises his fist high. 

Lance Russell lays out the card for what may be the biggest episode of AWA Major League Wrestling yet.

The Bomber's are ready for a shot at redemption.

Busick overcome the numbers to keep his TV title reign alive.

Venomous is going to be in the title picture sooner or later & Gama may just shock the world in the main event.

The Cripplers & the Wild Bunch give us a classic Memphis style TV brawl.

Seriously getting worried for Morrow.

Yatsu reminds everyone why Brenda choose him to guard the Beauty Shop.

Canek gets some time to flex on TV.

Rich & Idol are fighting mad & they're aiming for the top.

Nicely written battle royal with so many rivalries used to structure the eliminations. Morgan going out first surprised me. I love that Zbysko turns on Perez only to get so caught up jawjacking with fans that he lets Perez eliminate him instead lol. Dream Machine & Armstrong going out together just feels right. Bad News dumps out the big man to capture the World title. Bad news for everyone indeed.

Now that's a TV show!  Looking at the names on the list, I thought the title would go to either Larry Z or Bad News Brown.  I finally got one right.  I enjoyed how you continues old angles and started new ones during this big event.  Larry Z vs Perez is going to be fun.  

Not only did we get the big battle royal but I thought the Wildfire/Idol promo was great and I really thought the continued NO BEAUTY SHOP thing was great.  Where is Morrow?

Venomous looks like they are going to be a force!

Bully continues his reign... he might have an argument on why he wasn't in the battle royal.  

Great show... Who is going to stop Bad News!  I enjoyed using him as he was the center of my first angle in the game back when I did Stampede and he and the Mongolian Stomper started a riot in Calgary!  This game has been such fun.  Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

Nice to see a squash for the British Bombers!

Tommy Rich comes off as such an insufferable heel here. Good job!

Really fun main event! I liked the little bit of confrontation we got between Larry Zbyszko and Al Perez! Jerry Blackwell looked so great in this match, and Bad News Brown looks all the scarier for managing to take him out and snatch the prize!

I wanted to go back to earlier... the AWA ring... gosh... if I could bust out some toy figures to set up for my shows... wowza.

Anyways... Tommy Rich is the man... still... without question.... and without the title... but WITH Austin Idol who's coming off the run of a lifetime in Windy City cough cough.

I like Bad News as the big name in this promotion and in reality he was one of the bigger stars of this era. I think he is a solid choice even when you've got guys like a Larry Z available to step in.  Some fun twists and turns and definitely some great things to follow up on.

AWA @ The Hammond Center 7-22-87

Footage from last week is shown as Bad News Brown wins the battle royal to become the new AWA World Champion. 

Lance Russell: Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of AWA Major League Wrestling. Tonight you'll see Larry Zbyszko taking in his former National tag team champion partner, Al Perez. Scott Putski goes one on one with Kevin Kelly, and the winner will get a TV title shot next week. And Corporal Kirchner teams with DJ Peterson to do battle with Commando Boone and Billy Jack Strong. We'll also be hearing from the new AWA World Champion Bad News Brown. All that and a lot more, so let's get to the ring. 

"The Z-Man" Tom Zenk vs. Carl Kellerman

zenk.jpg.271cb3c06fa5b064cc0c81a91ec57709.jpg

Zenk impresses the fans with his high flying offense and wins the match with a missile dropkick! 

Resnick: Congratulations on another fine win. Tom, things between you and Terry Taylor are still heated as you guys have been trading wins all across the AWA arenas. Is there any end in sight? 

Zenk: At Wrestlerock my former friend and partner started all this. So, to answer your question Ken. The end will come when I finish this once and for all. 

Commercial Break 

"The Latin Heartthrob" Al Perez vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko 

alp.jpg.385babc5f99261bd7642a5fc6931960f.jpg1484051026_larryz.jpg.191b83bb9ed53893bacae554b010d3fc.jpg

The bell rings and the former National tag team champs have an intense stare down. Larry then starts jawing and pointing at Perez. Larry turns up the yelling and then shoves Perez. Larry continues the yelling and shoves Perez again. Perez lunges forward and pushes Larry to the ground. The fans are cheering as Perez pumps his fists. Larry quickly gets up and tries to apologize. Boos as Larry extends his hand. Perez slaps it away. A pissed off Larry goes for a wild swing but Perez ducks and atomic drops Larry over the top rope. The Ref starts counting. Larry teases getting back in the ring but sees a pumped up Perez waiting and rethinks things. Larry just simply walks away and to the back as the Ref hits 10. Perez is disappointed with the c.o. victory but pumps his fist to the fans. 

Commercial Break

"Crusher" Blackwell vs. Neil Jordan 

blackwell.jpg.b38866d2536b43a560d8890a4449474f.jpg

Blackwell swings Jordan to the corner and follows with the Avalanche. Jordan collapses as Blackwell drops a big elbow for the win. Cheers as Blackwell heads to ringside.

Resnick: Crusher Blackwell, last week you had a tremendous showing in the battle royal. Because of that, this weekend in the Louisville Gardens, you will get an AWA world title shot at Bad News Brown. What an opportunity.

Blackwell: I've been gunning hard to be a top contender for the AWA world title. And here I am. It took a lowblow for Bad News to get over on me. He caught me off guard. Well, I've got some bad news for him. I won't let that happen again. It's my time to be champion. 

Commercial Break 

Resnick: Alright, I'm standing her with the Latin Heartthrob Al Perez. Al, this situation with you and your former partner has really heated up in the last week. After what happened earlier, it looks like you have some unfinished business with Larry Zbyszko. 

Perez: Hey, what happened last week in the battle royal was fair game and I had no hard feelings with Larry. I thought we....

Thundering boos as Tommy Rich (wearing a 'Where's Lawler'? T-Shirt), Austin Idol, Dream Machine and Baby Doll come out. 

Resnick: Whoa, ok, just a minute

Baby Doll: Geez, relax Resnick, will you. 

Rich: Ken, I told you, I've got friends and me and my friends have business with this guy. (looks at Perez) Listen up chump, my main man Austin Idol has something to say to you and brother, you better listen! 

Dream Machine: Once again, listen up babay! 

Idol: Thank you Tommy. Thanks Dream. (Looks at Perez) Look kid, there's only one heartthrob in the AWA and darling, it's me! So, from this point on, I forbid you to use and disgrace the heartthrob name. Oh and in case you didn't understand me, we've brought along an interpreter to help translate. I'm talking about Everybody's Compadre Alberto Madril. 

More boos as Madril arrogantly walks up to Perez. He puts his hand on Perez's shoulder and smiles.

Madril: Amigo, from one Al to another. Give up the heartthrob name. Come on. 

Madril lightly slaps Perez across the cheek. Perez angrily pushes Madril's hand away. 

Madril: Look, I'm your compadre, I'm everybody's compadre. One more time, give up the name. 

Madril smiles and lightly slaps Perez's cheek. Perez pushes Madril back. Madril looks at Resnick, smiles and shrugs his shoulders. 

Rich, Idol and Dream Machine jump Perez and give him a 3 on 1 beating. While this is going on, Madril grabs the mic. 

Madril: I tried, I really did. 

Madril then hits Perez with the mic. Now it's 4 on 1. 

Massive cheers as Tom Zenk comes out swinging a chair. WHAM! He's hit with a chair from behind by Terry Taylor! 

Perez is hurled into the ring. Dream drops several elbows on him. Rich picks up Perez and piledrives him down. Idol clamps on the Las Vegas leglock! While he's wrenching away, Larry Zbyszko strolls out. Larry smiles and twirls his finger off his head as to say "Carry on" Larry then turns around and walks away. 

Taylor stomps away on Zenk. Idol continues to wrench away on Perez as Rich, Madril and Dream put the boots to him. 

Commercial Break 

Resnick: My goodness, Al Perez was just taken out on a stretcher. Tom Zenk was helped out by several trainees. What a horrible incident. We'll be right back. 

Commercial Break 

Winner gets an AWA TV title shot next week 

Scott "Powerhouse" Putski vs. "Mr. Magnificent" Kevin Kelly w/The Vin Man 

putski.jpg.67044e38c0e3ca3225c6eefa28899ee0.jpgkelly.jpg.2989948565b26937ea89b8960bba2ce7.jpg

Vinnie distracts Putski as the bell rings. Kelly puts Putski down with a clothesline from behind. Vinnie laughs and calmly exits the ring. Kelly picks up Putski and drops him throat first on the top rope 1..2..Putski gets his foot on the rope. Kelly chokes Putski on the bottom rope. The Ref backs Kelly off, which allows Vinnie to slap Putski across the face. Kelly picks up Putski and swings him into the corner, then follows with a running knee to the mid section. Kelly hits a gut wrench suplex 1..2..Putski barley gets his shoulder up. Kelly and Vinnie berate the Ref. Kelly finally returns to Putski. Kelly swings Putski to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Putski swings back and hits the Polish Hammer 1..2..3!!!! 

Huge POP! 

Vinnie gets in the ring and attacks Putski. Putski gets mad and pounds away on Vinnie, swings him to the ropes and puts him down with the Polish Hammer! The fans love every minute. 

Commercial Break 

AWA National Tag Champs The Quebec Coalition w/Frenchy Martin vs. Ray Glader and Todd Rooney

charland.jpg.f9285405741e55c8e529a2262081f7e6.jpglafon.jpg.0e70bfc688990f8c2716cc05b521c209.jpgfrenchy.jpg.4a3f521b7a51982d6e031fd38e330704.jpg 

Frenchy proudly waves the Quebec Flag as Charland hits an inverted piledriver and Lefon follows with a Senton for the win. 

At ringside, the Coalition hold up their titles while Frenchy cuts a promo on how his team will make short work of the British Bombers this weekend in Louisville. 

Commercial Break 

Polynesian Power vs. Marvin Jones and Rance Jackson 

snuka.jpg.96e95419cbbdc9b69d07261afa06ad3f.jpgkokina.jpg.f9f06b888f30e4c1a37fbeaab73456ba.jpg

Kokina hits the Samoan Drop on Jackson, and Snuka follows with the Superfly Splash for the win. 

Resnick tries to interview them, but Snuka and Kokina break out kendo sticks and shout threats at Colon, TNT and Iaukea. Polynesian Power have some serious rage going on right now. They storm off. 

Resnick: (Deep breath) I wouldn't want to be Colon, TNT or Iaukea right now. 

Commercial Break 

An advertisement is shown for the next AWA Closed Circuit event. Collision at the Coliseum, Saturday September 3rd at the Alumni Coliseum. 

The camera zooms in on the glowing pink "Beauty Shop" sign, then pans down on Brenda Britton. 

britton.jpg.5aec91034fa6881ddb8f0e304ad2e2e2.jpg

Britton: Hi everybody and welcome to the highest rated segment in wrestling, the Beauty Shop. (Looks over at Yoshiaki Yatsu) Yoshi, it's great to see you. I wish I had some good news but I don't. I've been unable to locate Gerry Morrow. I don't know what to do. Again, if anybody has any information please call this number at 555-SHOP. I won't give up on you Gerry. Ok, now, I've said it a million times, this is where all the scoops happen. And boy, do I have a doozy tonight. My first guest is none other than the President of the AWA, Jerry Jarrett. 

Jarrett comes out with a serious look and shakes hands with Brenda. 

Britton: Jerry, I know you have something big and you came to the right place. Floor's yours President. 

Jarrett: I'll get right to it. On Independence Day, the Glamour Boys were attacked in the parking lot and suffered injuries. That also costed them a world tag team title shot. 

Britton: Come on Jerry, tell us something we don't know. 

Jarrett: I'm getting to that. It turns out there was a video camera in the parking lot. I know who was responsible. I've asked them to come out and explain their terrible actions. The men responsible are Phil Hickerson and Killer Brooks. 

Britton: What? Are you sure? 

Hickerson and Brooks walk out. 

hickerson.jpg.ce2d6b14fd704e53a8bf3743291a0c64.jpgbrooks.jpg.a814d8baed56b2aab8bd1b48e3ae5874.jpg

Jarrett: You boys are in a lot of trouble. There's no way out of this. You were caught. 

Brooks: So what! Do we look scared? My friend here will happily explain everything. 

Hickerson: Good to see you again Jarrett. Hey, I'm not hiding! Of course we did it! And you know what? We enjoyed every minute of it. The last couple years my partner Bobby Duncum and I bruised and bloodied those pretty boys all over Texas and Florida. Then, it all came down to a cage match. Duncum lost the match and then just retired. What was worse, is he shook those punks hands! Well, good ol Bobby might have been ok with that, but not me! I spent months planning my next move. Then, out of the blue, I get a call from my old friend Dennis Condrey. And wouldn't you know it, he tells me the Glamour Boys are here. The rest was easy. I went out and got the best bounty hunter in the business, Killer Brooks. Paid him a few bucks and it was on. I got what I wanted. I got the last laugh. How does that feel Glamour Gals? 

Britton: Well, that makes perfect sense to me. Those punks got what they deserved. 

Jarrett: You all might think this is a big joke. I was set to blackball the two of you from wrestling, However, once the Glamour Boys were informed of this, they begged me for a match with you two. I reluctantly said OK. That match will happen next week right here on TV. 

Hickerson: (laughs) Well, this just keeps getting better. You ready Killer?

Brooks: Always ready for a fight! 

Britton: There you have it! As always it all happens here on the Beauty Shop. Until next week tooooodles. 

Commercial Break 

Corporal Kirchner and "Dynamite" DJ Peterson vs. Commando Boone and Billy Jack Strong 

kirchner.jpg.a7dbc455e6129723c65548500bec3f3f.jpgdj.jpg.d21b85baa6a0067301952f842af11acd.jpgboone.jpg.aa44af1a20fb06040babc66d7da137c4.jpgbilly.jpg.0c6386f5a8b4fc47568d78e9a72f1fdc.jpg

2 feuds in one match. The bell rings and Kirchner and Boone have a slugfest. Strong and Peterson fight to the outside. It's chaos. The Ref finally gets control. Kirchner fires away on Boone and tags in DJ. Kirchner and DJ double bodyslam Boone! Strong runs in and gets a double back drop. DJ drops a jumping elbow on Boone 1..2..Kick Out. DJ tags in Kirchner, Kirchner swings off the ropes and nails Boone with a running knee. Boone staggers back and tags in Strong.

Strong and Kirchner go at it. Kirchner gets the upper hand and swings Strong into the corner as DJ puts him down with a punch. Kirchner tags in DJ. Strong staggers up as DJ scoop slams him down and follows with a standing leg drop 1..2..Kick Out. DJ picks up Strong and swings him to the ropes and goes for a back drop but Strong kicks him and makes the tag to Boone. 

Boone comes in but DJ dives over and tags in Kirchner. Kirchner hammers away on Boone but Boone rakes his eyes and slams him down. Boone regroups and stomps away on Kirchner. Boone swings Kirchner to the ropes and puts him down with a back elbow smash. Boone tags in Strong. Strong swings Kirchner to the corner and follows with a running clothesline. Strong follows with several shoulder thrusts, then hip tosses Kirchner out. Strong pushes Kirchner into the corner. Boone chokes Kirchner as Strong puts the boots to him. Strong tags in Boone. 

Boone chokes Kirchner on the top rope and flings him back. Boone picks up Kirchner and twirls him around. Kirchner's boot hits the Ref. The Ref goes down. Boone slams Kirchner down. Strong comes off the top rope with a double forearm smash on Kirchner. DJ runs in and pounds away on Strong. Once again, they fight to the outside. 

Boone drops a leg on Kirchner and covers but the Ref is still out. On the outside, Strong whips DJ towards the steel post but DJ reverses it and whips Strong into the post. DJ climbs to the top rope. 

Boone is pissed and gets off Kirchner. As Boone turns towards the Ref, DJ nails him with a flying shoulder tackle from the top rope! DJ wakes up the Ref. Kirchner staggers up and drops a jumping knee on Boone as the Ref crawls over and counts 1..2..3! Big Pop! 

Commercial Break 

Resnick: Wow! What a match! Switching gears, I understand Al Perez was taken to the hospital for evaluations. I hope he's ok after that horrific attack. Tom Zenk was shaken up, but I understand he'll be ok. Well, please welcome out the new AWA World Champion, Bad News Brown. 

Brown walks out with a scowl, and holds his title high. 

Resnick: Congratulations are in order. You outlasted everyone in the battle royal and are standing here as AWA world champ. As you know the challengers are waiting. Ricky Steamboat will get a chance when he returns from Japan and this weekend in Louisville, you've got Crusher Blackwell. 

Brown: First off, I don't need congratulations from a condescending idiot like you Resnick! I don't need anything from anybody! I train alone, I travel alone, I stand alone, and I won this here world title on my own. I don't care who it is, you step into the ring with me and it's bad news for you! Blackwell! You're the first up and you're the first one I'm knocking down! Steamboat, Lawler, Rich, Armstrong, Singh, it don't matter! They'll all fall like dominoes! 

Bad News holds his fist up and slowly raises the title up. 

1523393988_badnews.jpg.f11c2fc3ef6a3d2afbd8ef4b160b3e85.jpg

Zenk is ready to carry out this feud with Taylor as long as it takes.

Zbyszko decides it's not the right time to face Perez.

Blackwell has another shot at the top prize.

Madril & Taylor reveal themselves as Rich's latest friends. Idol demanding to be the AWA's only Heartthrob was such a delightfully petty thing.

Putski earns himself a title match & we have a serious hoss fight to look forward too.

The Coalition are primed & ready for their defense against the Bombers

Polynesian Power are on the warpath!

Hickerson & Brooks are revealed to be behind the attack on the Glamour Boys & have a chance to finish the job in the ring next week. Also props to Brenda for keeping up the search.

Kirchner & Peterson win a hard-fought main event.

Bad News lays down the law, he don't need nobody!