Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - June 4, 2021 - Friday Night Edition v.2

MoS

As great as it is that AEW have picked up one of the legit greatest wrestlers in the world right now, they’ve sucked a bit of the air out of the room partnering him up with Vickie Guerrero.  Flat debut, but hyped for the matches down the line.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

As great as it is that AEW have picked up one of the legit greatest wrestlers in the world right now, they’ve sucked a bit of the air out of the room partnering him up with Vickie Guerrero.  Flat debut, but hyped for the matches down the line.

Neither Andrade el Idolo or Mark Henry had any music or Khantron video to accompany them. Probably a majority of fans at shows have been conditioned to only acknowledge something once their music and video have been cues up.

Vickie was drowned out by the crowd tonight!  Her less than one note gimmick is truly ridiculous and she is completely superfluous to AEW in every way.  Of all the talent in wrestling how did Vickie get TWO jobs on her wrestling resume?  All she does is yell, no screech her two word catchphrase...I’m just astonished that Eddie Guerrero’s widow became a her own character...of some kind.

Vickie didn’t have the crowd at all tonight.  She couldn’t match the right rhythm -thus all of her promo was muffled by the crowd.

Not having a video seemed to flatten the reaction a little, due how they have the ramp sideways the crowd probably couldn't tell who it was at first. Once they could see who it was it felt like a real "holy shit" moment.

Andrade of course came off like a star, and wouldn't bet against him becoming a top guy quickly. 

I didn't love a lot of the AEW roster a year ago. Flash forward to today with names like Andrade & Miro there now, getting to watch Jungle Boy, Darby & Britt grow into their own, & starting to get live crowds back... AEW is starting to resemble more of my style. I don't have a problem with Kenny Omega in the ring & think he makes a good champion. I feel like the area of AEW that surprises me the most, in that it has greatly underdelivered over what I expected, is their tag team division. Having the Young Bucks, bringing in FTR & knowing that WWE doesn't exactly capitalize on tag team wrestling, I thought that would be a lot more of a focal point in AEW than it is. I am looking forward to seeing more from Varsity Blonds though. 

Miro is fantastic as the TNT Champion. If AEW can get away from all the shitty comedy & goofy Jericho skits, they'll be a lot better off. 

Yeah, I just follow AEW through the threads here, but last night there were tumbleweeds blowing through here when funkdoc posted about Andrade's debut. My first thought was "really, tonight?". A lot of the usual viewers weren't even watching. Christ, even MoS wasn't watching. Seems like this was a debut that should've been given top priority rather than just tossed out with little fanfare on a night Dynamite was bumped because of the NBA  

Wow, did they really pair Andrade immediately with Vickie? Talk about a great way to kill your heat. Vickie was a hiring made when AEW were in full "Look, we treat our employees nicely, we are different!!" mode, and I really don't know what she brings to the table. She should get phased out. 

Also, apparently there were Inner Circle and Britt segments that were corny and did not land. AEW ASAP needs to stop catering to Jericho's brand of comedy., cuz it sucks

I thought the Inner Circle segment was fine, you can argue that continuing the feud with the Pinnacle isn't the best idea, but the segment itself was fine.

The Britt stuff was something I'd expect to see on Raw tbh. Not as bad as a Raw segment would be, but it really stood out in a bad way on Dynamite.

Jericho loves doing his feuds in 3s. I assume the Pinnacle win the third match but where do you go from War Games and Stadium Stampede?

Also, how hard would it have been to debut Andrade after Omega beats Jungle Boy next week? The crowd would do wild and you immediately sow the seeds for the Omega/Andrade match. And it’s way more exciting than him just walking out 

Omega-JB has been pushed back to the end of the month actually.

Apart from bullshit interferences, there are also way too many WWE Raw Sports Entertainment segments on Dynamite these days. The Britt segment had Jericho's fingerprints all over it. AEW really needs a proper booker now with a clear mandate to be different from WWE. Tony Khan has way too many things on his plate and he cannot be in charge of everything and still ensure quality control

Andrade is wrestling Omega for the AAA title at Triplemania in August, so the AEW booking will be interesting politically.  I assume Andrade beats him in Mexico, so does Omega beat him in the States before or after?  I'd say after personally, seems best for everyone involved.  Does AEW even have tv in Mexico?

I wouldn't have debuted him that way, but whatever, what's done is done.  Hopefully Vickie isn't with him regularly, but it's fine to link them backstage if you tell the story of Andrade being an Eddie fan and a third generation luchadore, just don't have her doing promos for him or at ringside

The Jericho-MJF blowoff should be loser leaves town.  And because AEW has honored their stips thus far, that should be a big fucking deal.  And, while Jericho is one of my all-time favorites, he's run his course in AEW imo and I think it's time for Fozzy to go on tour.....

Comoroto looks like Bruiser Brody, Billy Jack Haynes and Hercules Hernandez all wrapped into one individual from a physical standpoint. I know we've been singing the praises of Wardlow as an underrated big man recently but I think we should keep an eye on Comoroto too because he looked really good vs Dustin on Friday.

11 hours ago, cm funk said:

favorites, he's run his course in AEW imo and I think it's time for Fozzy to go on tour.....

Fozzy is going on tour next month (July in to October), but there's only one Wednesday concert so he'll be available. Plus of course AEW will be on the Jericho Cruise again in late October.

20 hours ago, Stiva said:

I do wonder where MJF goes after he beats Jericho in the blow off. Both single champs are heels (unless they pull the trigger on Jungle Boy which, I’m not against) and a feud with Sammy is a situation where neither should really be losing.

I think there's a good chance he gets to main event against Hangman (likely for the belt).

2 hours ago, cm funk said:

Sounds good to me!

The Pinnacle needs a reason to exist, and chasing the title and/or protecting it is a good reason

So far AEW has mostly done long-ish title reigns (no one's held the World title for less than six months). I could see Hangman getting the big win over Omega but not having a long-term reign, instead acting as a bridge to MJF.