Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 6/28-7/4 Euro 2020 is pro wrestling

sek69

I read an interview by Shayna Bazler and her trying to square her training with Billy Robinson and Josh Barnett with the horseshit she's having to do now. She's clearly being a pro and gritting her teeth through it, and it really made me want to see her in literally any other promotion in the world.

5 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Is the thread title a reference to all the own goals WWE (hell, wrestling in general) kicks? ;)

LOL yeah I suppose it does. I was thinking UEFA must listen to Dave when he said AEW should book a surprise win no one sees coming. 

As for Raw, there really wasn't much  to mention. It wasn't like anything was actively bad, in fact I thought the Kofi/MVP segment and the main event were outstanding, but it was just yet another show full of rematches as WWE continues to be stuck on Groundhog Day. Like, why is Xavier Woods getting a rematch against Lashley? Why is Drew winning a spot in MITB when he can't challenge for the title? Why is Rhea's gimmick seemingly "babyface who acts like an asshole"?

I tried. I really did. I flipped to Raw during a time out of the Suns vs Clippers game. They were recapping what had happened in previous weeks on Raw with a clip of Matt Riddle riding his scooter to the ring and chasing the Miz around the ring in a wheelchair. It was so bad. I watched through the horrendous Johnny Nitro/Miz/Richochet segement and gave up. I'll try WWE again after the NBA is over. Its mind boggling how bad the 10 to 15 minutes that I watched were, it almost seemed intentional. It feels like they are intentionally trying to make their talent look foolish and prevent them from getting over. 

35 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Why is Drew winning a spot in MITB when he can't challenge for the title? 

Can he challenge for the Smackdown title? Though I guess this is going to be used as an "escape clause" to the rule if he does win.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I love it. If you don't watch something, why comment on it? If you hate something, why watch it? I like WWE and I don't watch RAW. It's terrible. Im happy to see people here just not caring about a show they don't like. It's healthy and refreshing.

Sure, but I depend on this place to watch the show for me and give me hot takes!!!

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Man, Mercedes Martinez got KTFO by Xia Li. I don't know if she was trying to kick out from instinct or of it was the Fencer's Motion knocked out people sometimes get but that was nasty.

Her movements reminded me of Tom Savage after that hit a couple of years ago. That was just an awful kick from Xia. Neither of them could see where her foot was going. That's up there for brutal KOs. 

Xia looked like she was trying to knock a fastball into the upper deck. There's no way you can protect your opponent swinging wildly like that. If you don't know how to pull your kicks, don't aim them at someone's head. On that note, there's no excuse for not putting your hands up whenever a live kick comes anywhere near your head. Especially if it's out of some misguided commitment to "realism." One, everybody already knows it's fake so you're not fooling anybody. Two, people do in fact put their hands up in real fights.

If only there was some sort of let's call it a Performance Center to work with people to prevent bad spots like this happening. 

On a serious note. Has someone not taken her aside and said don't do that before? NXT seems very Power Plant in that it's people standing around doing Hindu squats all day and learning nothing. 

Speaking of Aliyah, she's been at the PC since 2015. And there are guys like Kona Reeves who have been there even longer. Needless to say, it should not take six fucking years to learn how to be a pro wrestler. If they still haven't progressed to where they need to be, cut them loose or at least put them in a position where they can sink or swim. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, though. Either you get called up way before you're ready or you rot in NXT for eternity.

The WWE "developmental" as a whole has always seemed like it was more about getting you ready for WWE TV than it was about getting you ready to be a professional wrestler. Like if you go to a normal wrestling school, I don't think you're learning about how to talk to the hard-cam & stand on your markers & shit.

I don't like that NXT is a televised program in so much that it is its own "brand" but I understand that the young talent has to get experience on TV & ideally in front of real people. I think the biggest detriment to the NXT program was when Dusty Rhodes passed away. I think that is right around the time that the development of the young new faces drastically changed.

12 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

They haven't trained up someone from scratch for years. I would also argue I haven't seen anyone benefit from a stay in NXT while several guys like Gargano have regressed while at the Performance Center. 

Matt Bloom has been the head trainer for like 6 years now.......

Not saying he's the problem, there's a lot of cooks in that kitchen and as others noted there seems to be numerous issues with their training methods, be it the emphasis on athletic training over old school wrestling or the WWE style/work to the camera stuff. 

Whatever it is they haven't been turning out many hot prospects from scratch.  The women seem to do better overall, but a lot of them have some experience prior to NXT, and then you have someone like Conti who goes to AEW and almost immediately looks like a star

Also not for nothing, but the overall quality of the shows seemed to take a downturn around the time HBK became a regular behind the scenes.  Some of that is probably bad timing due to them trying to change the product into a tv one to compete with AEW, some of it is pandemic but a lot of shows were dying with the crowd before that.  I don't know exactly what he's doing there, maybe it's a coincidence, but none of this looks good on the ol' DX track record

I have a hard time blaming Bloom. They seemed to do a decent job in his early days. It has to be next to impossible to give properly attention to 100 people and especially ones corporate deems low priority. I also think there are issues with agenting and taking guys that just need some polish and structure and getting them over that hump. 

As mentioned by cm funk. Conti is a great example. She showed almost zero improvement in NXT but has shown constant improvement as a worker probably just getting some time with Dustin, QT and Rosa.