Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - October 6, 2021

MoS

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If for argument's sake we say those guys *are* MMA nobodies, Lambert is getting such nuclear heat it almost doesn't matter. Worst case they can be the hired help for the guy everyone in the stands wants to tear to pieces, and if they can get the others over as stars it will make it even bigger when the AEW guys eventually send them packing (and they will because Tony's too much of a nerd to fall in the "WCW never gets its win over the nWo" trap). 

It's a bit difficult to call Jorge Masvidal an MMA nobody when he is the only one involved in wrestling right now who has consistently drawn 700,000 PPV buys. The real question is whether this angle is actually getting AEW new fans from that fanbase. I haven't seen any chatter on MMA news sites about this angle so far. JDS certainly never drew a million PPV buys, was never a particularly good draw, although better than Cain, and his prime was more than a decade ago, so him making his wrestling debut is not going to draw any kind of buzz. Paige drew big ratings for Fox a couple of times but that was a long time ago, and I haven't seen her BKFC numbers but they were certainly not cracking any ratings charts. Andre Arlowski, as much as I love him, is a complete non-entity as a draw. I am guessing they are hoping UFC let Masvidal wrestle at the PPV or something, cuz that done right could be a major draw. But it only really works if Masvidal agrees to do a job, and even if he is cool with it, why on Earth would Dana White let that happen?

People are too obsessed with ratings and getting an outside audience. The angle is super hot with the crowds (Lambert is just the best, he's amazing). The multi-men matches (if they do more than one) are gonna be fun. Guevarra vs Page and Guevarra vs Scorpio if both happen are gonna be at worst very good. What do people want ? I have no idea who those people are, I don't watch MMA. But the angle being so hot absolutely makes them "somebody" from the get go. If the angle was flat, yeah, you could question it (like the awful build to Cody vs Shak). As it is, it's just good pro-wrestling shit.

3 hours ago, MoS said:

It's a bit difficult to call Jorge Masvidal an MMA nobody when he is the only one involved in wrestling right now who has consistently drawn 700,000 PPV buys. The real question is whether this angle is actually getting AEW new fans from that fanbase. I haven't seen any chatter on MMA news sites about this angle so far. JDS certainly never drew a million PPV buys, was never a particularly good draw, although better than Cain, and his prime was more than a decade ago, so him making his wrestling debut is not going to draw any kind of buzz. Paige drew big ratings for Fox a couple of times but that was a long time ago, and I haven't seen her BKFC numbers but they were certainly not cracking any ratings charts. Andre Arlowski, as much as I love him, is a complete non-entity as a draw. I am guessing they are hoping UFC let Masvidal wrestle at the PPV or something, cuz that done right could be a major draw. But it only really works if Masvidal agrees to do a job, and even if he is cool with it, why on Earth would Dana White let that happen?

All of this is correct.

Masvidal also just has that tough guy charisma where he knows he can beat the shit out of you, and while he isn't necessarily going out of his way to do it, he's going to let you know that he knows. If he can project some of that in a wrestling atmosphere, and if he has learned to pull his shit and make it look destructive (like the knee he hit Jericho with) he could be money.

PVZ is a hot chick that can fight, does she really need anything else? I know that probably sounds sexist AF, but it's true, especially when it comes to a wrestling crowd.

JDS and Arlovski are both past their prime when it comes to MMA, so they might actually be perfect for a transition to wrestling. I was never big on JDS, but when Arlovski used to come out rocking that fanged mouth guard and was wrecking people in his prime (which in all fairness was 15 years ago) he looked fucking amazing.

and as long as they work a multi-man, Masvidal doesn't have to eat the loss. JDS or Arlovski can take the hit, cause there time in MMA is nearly at an end anyway.

The most important thing is that it's just one segment on a show full of segments. It's not dominating the show. If you aren't into it, wait ten minutes. I'd worry a little if they had them come in and crush everyone because MMA is obviously superior than pro wrestling since it's real and pro wrestling is not, or some such. I'd almost rather they face guys like the Bucks and their impossible physics to counteract that sort of idea, but old man Jericho wrestling them even works too.

20 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Dodgers vs Giants should do big numbers but the other first round matchups aren't very interesting 

Dodgers vs. Giants in the playoffs will be insane. It's never happened and it's the most heated rivalry in baseball going back 70 years.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:52 PM, Strummer said:

Tuesday's Yankees/Red Sox one game playoff did the highest rating for an ESPN baseball game since 1998. Last night's Cardinals/Dodgers game also did a big number on TBS. AEW and WWE could be in trouble ratings wise for the rest of this month as baseball is all of a sudden red hot.

Both Smackdown and Rampage were down quite a bit this week. MLB playoffs are kicking some ass

I'm catching up on TV today, and as soon as my partner sat down the first thing she said, honest to God,

"Are the ring ropes higher than normal?"

"No honey, everyone is just short.."

I cannot even. She is also obsessed with Jungle Boy's hair, but then again, so am I. I had fun explaining who his shoot father is. 8 man was a pretty good time.

Sammy got over with her in 5 seconds for having purple sparkly tights and doing flipz, so Tony Khan, since you need help with the female demographic, here we are. Sparkles and flips.

I hate to be this guy but I'm already kind of over CM Punk doing the same promo in the same spot every week. Like, it's nice for him and I'm happy for him. But he's going to be skippable as a promo until he has something juicy to do.

Serena Deeb is the fucking BEST and Serena-Shida ruled. The whole set up with the 50 wins trophy and Serena playing spoiler was great. I'm still new to this I guess but I love the records gimmick. Shida's front facelock airplane spin was amazing.

I assume this TBS Title is for Jade Cargill to have some direction while she dominates the undercard. Although her taking her first loss in the finals on the TBS debut would be decent too. Maybe this is what they give Ruby to do since they want to keep Britt Baker on top for a while.

I loved the theme of the ladder gimmick being Orange wanting to do his cute shit and there literally just being no time for it. Too many ladders, too many bodies. Some really gnarly bumps in this, and I had that "Ooh do you really want to be killing yourself during an ad break?" thing. I guess it was an anniversary show, but it's kind of hard to do ladder matches on TV with ads. Hangman coming back and being so fucking over was great and I instantly like Hangman so it worked on me.

Lol the wrestling fan in me sometimes still have to rub my eyes at the sight of Christian, famously average size for WWF, towering over everyone here. 

I have a feeling that those of you who don't like the Elite too much will be pleasantly surprised with Hangman. Even at the beginning, when Hangman was failing to get over as part of the faction, it was striking how differently he carried himself compared to the rest, although I wish he would give up his shitty moonsault that never looks good and is certainly fucking up his knees. He is also certainly not someone who can be accused of being too nudge nudge wink wink, taking the piss out of wrestling performer. The entire reason he got over is because there is probably a lot of truth to his character.

I saw it mentioned before that his character of "guy who drinks a lot at least in part because he's battling with Impostor Syndrome" hits home with a lot of people in his generation. There's just something about how he's presented that hits a chord more than any other in AEW.It's even more impressive that most of it was built up in an extended period with little to no fans, yet once crowds were back he was by far the most over person on the show.