Pro Wrestling Only

National Wrestling Alliance

Autistic Dragon

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wild match kicks things off! Poor Whatley just can't get it together. 

Street gives young Dundee some good advice. We'll see if he listens. 

The Stud Stable's heelish tactics give them the big win. 

Good showcases for Kid, Anderson and Pitbull. 

Damn, the Horsemen were in total sync tonight. I loved that finish. I really like how your booking this feud. Right now, the Horsemen are coming off as some bad ass grizzled vets. It now gives the Road Warriors something to overcome. 

Worldwide,

Nice seeing the Buffalo Soldiers get some TV time. Same with Wahoo.

I have a feeling something big is in the works for Budro. 

The main event ended like it should. We'll see if this all gets settled at SuperBrawl. 

Speaking of SuperBrawl, I think Garvin and Orton are going to tear the house down. Such a good match up. 

NWA continues to cook... SuperBrawl is on the horizon... Garvin has a tough challenge in Orton but I think that Ronnie has a real ace up his sleeve. I am glad to see Dynamite doing well here...  also looks like the Horsemen are primed for big things. These ol dogs can hunt and they won't be put down by anyone.

image.png.7e99dd61feece97e755db8dc8a927c66.png

image.png.a06c42313f4a1c525560c0910a08f3c1.png

February 17, 1989

Live on Pay Per View from the Charlotte Coliseum in Charlotte NC.

Badd Company (Pat Tanaka & Paul Diamond) and Big John Studd w/ "The Perfect 10" Baby Doll defeat The Patriots (Firebreaker Chip & Todd Champion) and "The Latin Hearthrob" Al Perez when Baby Doll hit Chip with her purse followed by a big boot from Studd.

"Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant defeats "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff. Ivan tried to introduce the chain but Handsome Jimmy swiped the chain and ko'd Koloff with his own weapon.

NWA World Six Man Tag Team Titles.

The Stud Stable (Jimmy Golden, Rod Price & Tommy Cairo)(c) w/"The Mastermind" Ron Fuller defeat Super Strong Machine and the Zero Fighters (Hiroshi Hase & Keiichi Yamada) after Fuller passed Price the "loaded" elbowpad which he whacked SSM with. 

NWA United States Tag Team Titles.

The Sheepherders (Butch Miller &  Luke Williams)(c) w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeat The Renegade Warriors (Mark & Chris Youngblood) with a double gutbuster on Chris. The champions weren't done and grabbed a pair of chairs before going to town on the fallen Warriors. After a few uncomfortable minutes two men with blonde mullets and face paint ran down with chairs of their own and chased the New Zealanders off. Solie was surprised when he realized the two latecomers were in fact The Nightmares!

NWA Heritage Title.

The Super Destroyer(c) w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeats Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka. Snuka was in position for the "Superfly" splash when Jones reached up and pulled on his leg crotching him on the top rope. Super D climbed up and delivered the Super-plex to retain the title. Snuka got up surprisingly quickly and marched to the back with what fans described as a furious expression on his face. Even more curious is that nobody in the ring, nor Gordon Solie on commentary acknowledged this with even the camera quickly moving away from Snuka upon his exit.

Taped Fist Match.

"The Unpredictable" Dick Slater defeats"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez when The Assassin came down and jumped on the apron. As the ref argued with him, the Beasts of Burden came in through the crowd and delivered a double boot to Fernandez. The Assassin jumped down as his men cleared the ring allowing Slater to get the easy win. Slater and the Assassin shake hands before the masked man raises the hand of his apparent new client.

NWA United States Title

"Tennessee Stud" Robert Fuller w/"The Mastermind Ron Fuller defeats Junkyard Dog(c). Ron slid his brother the title belt but Randy Anderson quickly pried it away and handed it to the timekeeper. This was part of the plan however as Ron tossed Robert JYD's dog collar which served as the knockout blow. TITLE CHANGE!!!

We see a promo hyping the 1989 edition of the Crockett Cup!

NWA World Tag Team Titles.

The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal)(c) defeat The Four Horsemen (Harley Race & Ole Anderson) w/JJ Dillon. The Horsemen seemed to have the perfect game plan as they isolated Hawk and repeatedly targeted the injured arm. The face painted bruiser refused to submit and eventually made the tag to an enormous pop. Animal tore through the two veterans like a tornado before finishing Race with a powerslam that nearly drove the living legend through the mat.

NWA World Heavyweight Title.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin(c) defeats "The Ace" Bob Orton w/JJ Dillon. It looked like there would be a repeat of the Heritage Title bout as Dillon pulled Garvin's leg as he looked to set up the top rope sunsetflip allowing Orton to attempt his pattened Super-plex. However as he was lifting the champion up, Garvin scored with the "Hands of Stone" punch. Orton crashed to the mat with Garvin landing on top to retain the Ten Pounds of Gold.

SuperBrawl 2! Here we go! 

Baby Doll helps give her trio the win to kick things off. 

Boogie Woogie Man gives Uncle Ivan a taste of his own medicine. 

The Mastermind lives up to his moniker as his stable retains the 6 man titles. 

The Sheepherders get the win, but now they have to deal with the Nightmares. 

WHOA, I wonder what's up with Snuka? He looked pissed after the match.

Assassin has picked up a major acquisition in Slater. I have a feeling Manny will be back for more. 

Mastermind strikes again and now we have a NEW US champ! 

One of my favorite events of the year is coming! 

Horsemen had the right idea, but in the end, they couldn't control Animal. Great visual at the end. 

After all the interference tonight, Garvin puts his own spin on things and KOs Orton to retain. 

I enjoyed this card. Every match meant something. Great job! 

image.png.22e701ffd6e9506cfe7af34ff0cf1e4a.png

image.png.fc02f25426892b5994a0164093ce3096.png

image.png.b643aa74922c7c7b2ad6555f22c21958.png

SuperBrawl aftermath.

The Four Horsemen.

The future of the historically dominant stable is in question. With Race and Anderson failing to recapture the World Tag Team Titles and Orton once again falling to Garvin, the group is without gold and seemingly out of various title pictures entirely. Landel and Orton were both victorious on this week's NWA television but manager JJ Dillon was noticably vague when asked about future plans.

The Stud Stable.

SuperBrawl 2 was much kinder to the Stud Stable as not only did Golden, Price and Cairo retain the World Six Man Tag Team Titles but Robert Fuller -with some help from brother Ron- defeated Junkyard Dog to become the new United States title. This means all four active members are carrying gold which has some saying that the Stud Stable have placed themselves as the new top group in the NWA.

The Paul Jones Army.

On paper SuperBrawl 2 was a good night for the Army with both the Super Destroyer and The Sheepherders retaining their titles but that's not necessarily what people were talking about the next day. The Destroyer's match was marred by the odd behavior of Jimmy Snuka (who was not on this week's programming) while the Sheepherders were confronted by former Army members The Nightmares. The now unmasked duo cut a promo saying they'd returned to pay Jones back for unceremoniously firing them last year.

These are not the only issues facing the Army as the recent tension between Jones and Shaska Whatley was taken to another level on this week's programming. During a match with Jimmy Valiant, Whatley appeared to have the match won when Jones started shouting at Whatley to inflict more punishment. This started a discussion which distracted Whatley enough for Valiant to score a roll-up for the win. Jones was furious and was shouting at Whatley. Unlike previous incidents Whatley fired back leading to a heated argument which ended with Jones slapping Whatley! Shaska cut his manager a withering glare but ultimately fell in behind his leader.

Dick Slater and The Assassin.

One of the more surprising developments at SuperBrawl 2 was Dick Slater winning the Taped Fist Match against Manny Fernandez with the aid of the Assassin and the Beasts of Burden. The Assassin was in Slater's corner as he pummeled a local talent on this week's Main Event with the two cutting a joint promo afterwards. The Assassin said Slater possessed the killer instinct he looked for in a client as well as the in-ring ability to take his group -which he seemed to dub Killer Inc- to the top of the NWA by bringing him the NWA World Heavyweight Title.

I enjoyed reading SuperBrawl and the aftermath recap. There were some interesting twists and turns to make things interesting, and the top matches were well worth the wait. Dick Slater will be one to keep an eye on, especially with the help of the Assassin. 

The Four Horsemen Era in NWA seems to be drawing to a close, especially with the Road Warriors and others starting to make a name for themselves. 

I agree with the Dirt Sheets, I would say the Stud Stable has overthrown the Horsemen as the NWA's top stable. 

I still think there's a lot of value left in Landel and Orton. Looking forward to seeing what's next for them. 

Jones Army is looking strong but this situation with Whatley might change things. 

I wonder what's happening with Snuka. Very intriguing. 

With Assassin by his side, I could see Slater making a serious run at Garvin. 

NWA is on the right track. 

Badd Company are some Badd Dudes and Stud is quite the imposing figure outside the ring.

I was never a Boogie Woogie fan but I met him and he's good on my sheet now... glad he got the win

Studd Stable looked like Studds tonight on a huge scale

The Sheepherders may take the US tag titles and make them the NEW ZEALAND tag titles!

NWA Heritage Title.

The Super Destroyer with a big win over Snuka... albeit some controversy.

"The Unpredictable" Dick Slater defeats"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez - This for me would have been a match of the night possibility. 

I thought JYD was walking out with it but "Tennessee Stud" Robert Fuller got the W.

Crockett Cup is coming... one has to wonder how great a 1989 edition would have been... but with the NWA at the time - Spring vs Fall would have been quite different. 

NWA World Tag Team Titles. Road Warriors. Winners. <3 Things that all go together.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin's run has been so much better than real life - tough matches like this solidfy him as a top tier champion. 

image.png.81b41491993bc474d498224930f17a83.png

From the Memorial Auditorium in Greenville SC.

Previously recorded and airing on 3/2/89 on the USA Network

On commentary: Gordon Solie

Ring announcer/interviews: Sean Mooney 

Match #1

Too Cold Scorpio vs Dynamite Kid

A pioneer of the fast paced "light heavyweight" style taking on a man many say can take it to the next level. Dynamite does a respectable job keeping pace but you get the feeling he's just a step behind and he ultimately falls to the 450 splash.

Match #2

The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobs & Jerry Saggs) defeat Kip Johnson and Samuel Biles by taking Johnson on "A trip to Nastyville"

VTR- We see footage from a recent houseshow where Kamala is taking on Wahoo McDaniel. Something has set Kamala off and he starts attacking anything that moves. His opponent, the referee, ringside security, even his own handler Friday! Jones has to call down the rest of the Army to finally corral the crazed beast. We then cut to Paul Jones who says that NWA leadership has "unjustly" barred Kamala from competing at NWA events. He vows to unleash a new monster next week and everyone is going to pay.

Match #3

"The Latin Hearthrob" Al Perez defeats The Masked Marauder with the German suplex.

Match #4

The Beasts of Burden (John Nord & Rip Morgan) w/The Assassin vs The Patriots (Firebreaker Chip & Todd Champion)

The Patriots have had a rough few months after losing the United States Tag Team Titles. They clearly are trying to reassert themselves but they run into a huge obstacle in the Beasts. The former champs put up a fierce fight but they were overwhelmed by the ferocity of Nord and Morgan with Champion falling to the double big boot.

Match #5

Jamie Dundee defeats Robert "Rough Stuff" Stanton with a second rope fist drop as Adrian Street looked on approvingly.

We see more footage from the recent NWA loop. Shaska Whatley is set to take on Jimmy Snuka but it's announced Snuka didn't make it to the building. However a suitable replacement has apparently been found. A buzz goes throughout the building which turns into a shocked applause as "WILDFIRE" TOMMY RICH makes his way down. The video skips to the finish which sees Jones try to trip Rich only to get Whatley by mistake causing him to stumble into a Piledriver for the win.

Match #6

"The Russian Bear Ivan Koloff defeats Aaron McMichael with the "Russian Bearhug"

Main Event

"The Doctor of Desire" Tom Prichard vs "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel w/JJ Dillon

Both men are on point and produce a thrilling TV main event. Landel puts the ref in front of him to stave off the Superkick. Prichard moves the ref out of the line of fire allowing Landel to score a punt to the uprights followed by the Corkscrew Elbow drop for the win. The future of the Horsemen may be somewhat in doubt but the self-styled "real Nature Boy" is clearly a threat no one should take lightly.

image.png.461cde412904ff4e6339a2da3ec25cca.png

Taped at the Memorial Auditorium before Main Event.

Originally airing on 3/3/89 on the USA Network.

On commentary: Bob Caudle & David Crockett 

The Eliminators (Perry Saturn & John Kronus) defeat Alex Portman & Rupert Overstreet with "Total Elimination" on Portman

The returning Commando Boone defeats Rick Bronson with a big splash.

"The Gatekeeper" Jimmy Golden w/"The Mastermind" Ron Fuller defeats "Jumping" Jerry Maxwell with the Piledriver.

Main event.

"Wildcat" Wendell Colley defeats Brad Anderson with the running Bulldog. 

In other news...

Commentary hype the announcement of the 1989 addition of the Crockett Cup. Venues are still placing bids to hold either parts of the two night extravaganza with the final decision to be announced next week.

In a way, Scorpio beating Dynamite is a passing of the torch moment. 

Kamala goes nuts and gets banned. I can't imagine the monster Paul Jones is bringing in. 

Beasts of Burden sent a strong message tonight.

Having Street around seems to be paying off for young Dundee. 

Well, if the fans can't get Snuka, Tommy Rich is a pretty damn good sub, especially in these parts. 

I have a feeling Landel is in line for something huge. 

Cooley vs. Anderson is a fun worldwide main event. 

Man, I can't wait for the Crockett Cup! 

Author's note: Apologies friends but I'm just not feeling up to writing two episodes worth of content. Please accept this brief highlight reel.

image.png.9f0249ce70b50479916b9e5ae964cc83.png

image.png.6126d7750af0cf6e5a1e4e7d14fd9a67.png

image.png.1a4ded537a7fad7f560883f78f60e7f1.png

The Crockett Cup.

This week's Main Event saw a special appearance by NWA President Jim Crockett Jr. He says it's time once again to determine who is the greatest tag team in wrestling today. As is tradition, he has sent invitations to every major wrestling promotion in this great country to send their finest Tag Teams to compete in a two night tournament. The winners will not only claim the titular cup but a cash prize in the amount of One Million Dollars. He announces that Night 1 will air live on the USA Network April 13th from the Winthrop Coliseum in Rocky Hill SC on while Night 2 will air the following night, April 14th, from the Carolina Coliseum in Columbia SC live on Pay Per View.

Manny Fernandez isn't done yet.

Manny Fernandez returned to NWA programming and call out Dick Slater for needing the help of three men to beat him at SuperBrawl 2. Crockett addressed this later in the night, decreeing that Slater and Fernandez would meet one more time on March 18th at the Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City Tennessee with the winner being declared number one contender to the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. And to ensure that the best man wins, this bout will be held inside a steel cage!

The Paul Jones Army.

As promised Paul Jones revealed his newest monster on Main Event in the form of the "Walking Condominium" King Kong Bundy who needed less than 30 seconds to finish his unlucky opponent with the "Avalanche" before demanding the ref count to five. But what everyone was talking about was the events of the following Worldwide. In the main event Shaska Whatley faced off with former tag partner and longtime rival Jimmy Valiant. Jones remained disinterested throughout the match allowing it to play out without incident. Whatley would claim the win via backslide and Valiant would offer a handshake. Whatley actually looked ready to accept but Jones stirred himself to shout at his client to refuse. The two had another back and forth with Jones becoming increasingly heated. It was at this point that Valiant would interject himself seemingly arguing on Whatley's behalf. Security got between the three before things could erupt further but a new wrinkle had been added to Whatley's fraying relationship with his longtime manager.

Oh yea! April means Crockett Cup! I can't wait. 

Slater vs. Manny in a cage for a shot at the world title! Doesn't get any better than this.

Damn! Jones sure found a suitable replacement for Kamala. Bundy has arrived! 

I'm really liking this Whatley slow burn story. Adding Valiant in the mix is brilliant. 

Looking forward to the Crockett Cup. Tons of exciting talent are sure to be involved! Manny Fernandez vs Dick Slater is promising to be a great match. Too Cold Scorpio getting a nice rub from Dynamite Kid could do wonders for his NWA career moving forward.

One of the biggest what if’s, the 1989 Jim Crockett Memorial cup. It’s really amazing that if NWA would’ve held this in the fall of 89 it would’ve been drastically different than the spring of 89 with the inclusion of doing a Skyscrapers and steiner’s. However, in the spring he would’ve had the varsity club and others. Looking forward to what you put together.

image.png.0e5b50cd542aebd98fbfdbcbaa5c9249.png

image.png.a5ffd129c793f4d563b230442c51f0fe.png

image.png.068af3e4daeccb97db41eb8cfd0bac55.png

The Crockett Cup.

We get our first batch of teams entered into the tournament this week. It's reported that the NWA will be entering both sets of tag champions, currently The Road Warriors & The Sheepherders respectively. However it's said that if there is a title change between now and the tournament the new champions will be entered into the tournament.

Our first round of "foreign" talent come from UWF International out of Japan. The relatively new promotion has garnered massive buzz with it's MMA inspired bouts and they have jumped at the chance to prove their styles superiority. The UWFI has entered three teams into the tournament.

First is the Koslowski Brothers, Dennis & Duane. The South Dakota twins are both standout amateur wrestlers who represented America at last year's Summer Olympics with Dennis taking the bronze in Greco-Roman grappling.

The second duo hail from the Soviet Union. Salman Hashimikov is a four time Men's freestyle world champion, claiming the gold in 79, 81-83. He also won the 1982 World Cup as along with a list of titles throughout Europe and the Soviet Union. Joining him is Victor Zangiev who captured the Junior World Championship in 81, the World European Championship in 82 as well as the silver in the 85 World Cup. Interestingly the video highlighting these two was narrated by Ivan Koloff.

The final pair is Wayne Shamrock and Joe Malenko. Malenko is a second generation wrestler who in addition to his father Boris Malenko has studied under the legendary Karl Gotch. Shamrock is new to the sport but has learned from the likes of Nelson Royal, Buzz Sawyer and Gene Anderson.

Jimmy Valiant - Paul Jones Army

Valiant was asked why he intervened between Shaska Whatley and Paul Jones. He said he's known Whatley a long time and he may not like everything he does but has long considered him one of the best in the business. Seeing a man he respects getting pushed around by a "snake in a cheap suit" has got him fighting mad and he's looking to take it out on the whole army.

image.png.d4108ffd6a0fc5173d2c9539401dd553.png

NWA Live @ the Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City TN

JT Southern defeats John Kronus with an inside cradle.

Big John Studd w/"The Perfect 10 Baby Doll" defeats Doug Gilbert with a Bearhug.

Too Cold Scorpio defeats "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff by ducking under the "Russian Sickle" and performing a crucifix.

The Nightmares (Danny Davis & Ken Wayne) defeat The Samoan Island Tribe (Alofa & Fatu) with a dropkick/Russian legsweep combo on Fatu.

King Kong Bundy w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeats "Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant with the "Avalanche" leading to a 5 count. Jones signaled for Bundy to lay on more punishment but Shaska Whatley came down and got into a dispute with Jones. Surprisingly the three men left without further harm to Valiant but fans close to them say Jones and Bundy both were casting withering looks at Whatley.

NWA United States Title.

"Tennessee Stud" Robert Fuller w The Mastermind Ron Fuller defeats "The Doctor of Desire" Tom Prichard when Prichard attempted a sunsetflip only for Fuller to drop down and grab the rope to retain the title.

NWA World Tag Team Titles.

The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal)(c) defeat The Stud Stable (Rod Price & Tommy Cairo) w/"The Mastermind' Ron Fuller by hitting Price with the "Doomsday Device".

NWA World Heavyweight Title #1 contender Steel Cage match.

"The Unpredictable" Dick Slater w/The Assassin defeats "Raging Bull Manny Fernandez in a grueling and bloody war that finally came to a win when The Assassin managed to slide his client a pair of brass knuckles.

Great hype for the Crockett Cup. Nice touch having Uncle Ivan narrate the Russian's video piece. 

Scorpio has been racking up some impressive wins. He could make a serious run at the TV title. 

The Nightmares are working their way up the NWA tag rankings. 

Whatley does enough to save Valiant from a serious beating. The saga continues. 

Fuller pulls out a crafty heel move to retain.

The Road Warriors are tuning up for the Crockett Cup. 

Slater wins the war against Manny and now gets a title shot with Garvin. Garvin vs. Slater will be one hard hitting match up. 

image.png.74ddef6efbe4a5a820a84455f636900b.png

image.png.ee8de9aa9063ee32e3fc4167d479b683.png

image.png.a4811098b27c042ce084f20bc9f8f27a.png

United States Title.

The main event of this week's er, Main Event was a battle royal to determine who would challenge for the NWA United States Title on night 2 of the Crockett Cup. 15 men battled it out and in the end it came down to Tom Prichard and Buddy Landel. The "Nature Boy" had Prichard literally on the ropes and backed up for a clothesline attempt. Thinking quickly, Prichard was able to turn it into a back body drop that got Landel over the top but Budro grabbed the rope and managed to pull himself back up on the apron. Seeing this the "Doctor of Desire" fired off a Superkick that sent the Horsemen crashing to the floor and Prichard himself to Columbia.

The Crockett Cup.

On Worldwide a new list of entrants was announced.

From Pacific Coast Wrestling, we have the returning duo of "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton and "Sweet" Stan Lane, The Midnight Express, with their bombastic manager Jim Cornette. This will be the third year "The Louisville Lip" has lead a team into the tournament, will third time be the charm? Meanwhile PCW will also be sending the exciting young tandem of Tommy Dreamer and Glamour Boy Shane collectively known as The Dreamboats. Alongside their valet the lovely Trisa Hayes, they've made waves across the west coast. Are they ready to shake up the wrestling world.

From the great white north, Maple Leaf Wrestling sends two teams each very familiar to NWA fans. Raymond & Jacques Rougeau are former NWA United States Tag Team champions who delighted in enraging fans with their antics. They've mainly been abroad these past few years but have been lured back by the offer of a million dollars. Also recognizable to the NWA faithful are Sean Royal & Chris Champion, The New Breed. These two young guns departed last year to travel the world and hone their craft and are reportedly excited to show what they've learned.

Finally from the World Wrestling Federation, we have three teams determined to show why Vince McMahon's company truly is "the revolutionary force in sports entertainment". Leading the charge are WWF Tag Team champions Ax & Smash, Demolition. These leather clad bruisers have drawn more than passing comparison to the Road Warriors and many fans are fantasizing about a potential match between them. The Barbarian and the Warlord collectively called the Powers of Pain are known to NWA fans as a pair of powerhouses who run over anyone in their path. Lead by the Devious Mr Fuji, they're looking to smash their way to a million dollars. Finally from the University of Michigan, brothers Rick & Scott Steiner have wowed crowds across the country with their strength, athleticism and intensity. A victory in the Crockett Cup would mark them as a leading force in tag team wrestling for years to come.