Pro Wrestling Only

National Wrestling Alliance

Autistic Dragon

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Theatre of the Mind's Eye, a word or two makes a huge difference in how we as readers interpret what the writer is saying. You as the writer/creator already know what is going on in your head here but the trick is to pull us into it, that simple change did just the trick. Kudos to you.

Those few words really changed the gravity of seriousness kicking off this feud that we are being pulled into. Al Perez and Brett Sawyer aren't the tops guys in the NWA (or even close) but this is the start of a feud I am really looking forward to.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin vs "Chief" Wahoo McDaniel - I wonder how loud the slaps were for this matchup.  I love the build of Kamala and being an unstopable force. He has always been a monster and with the right wording... could truly be a special attraction... especially winning the Starrcade tournament.  As we look at the points... Kamala ad Cowboy Bob take the lead but I see a lot of things happening between now and the end and something makes me think it may look different in the end.

image.png.8d49744a4e6d63ecda1dc1a9e02cf308.png

From the Civic Center in Roanoke VA.

Previously recorded & airing on 9/23/88 on the USA Network.

On Commentary: Gordon Solie 

Ring announcer/Interviews: Sean Moony 

Match #1. Starrcade Series Block B match.

The Super Destroyer w/"Number One" Paul Jones vs "The Gatekeeper" Jimmy Golden w/"The Mastermind" Ron Fuller 

Referee Tommy Young kept a close eye on both managers, making sure they both had to mind their manners. Left to their own devices, the two heels do all they can to one-up each other in the rule breaking department. SD proves he's the dirtier player by claiming victory with the "loaded" headbutt.

Match #2

Buffalo Soldiers (Ranger Ross & Brickhouse Brown) defeat Nick Boogs & Rolph Ziggler when Brown pinned Boogs with a swinging neckbreaker.

Match #3

Angel of Death defeats Riddick Moses with the Death Sentence.

Match #4. Starrcade Series Block B match.

"The Doctor of Desire" Tom Prichard vs "Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez 

The two fan favorites had a tough but clean back-and-forth match that saw both men score a number of nearfalls. The end sees Prichard score a Superkick which knocks Fernandez into the ropes. Somehow Manny uses the momentum this creates to power the "Flying Burrito" for the win!

Match #5

"British Magician" Steve Wright defeats Nate Riddle with the "Octopus Hold"

Match #6

The Lawmen (Billy Joe Travis & Doug Gilbert) defeat Mick Khan & Vince Kenny with "Justice Served" (double hot shot)

Main Event. Starrcade Series Block B match.

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin w/Precious vs "The Ace" Bob Orton w/JJ Dillon 

These two certainly know how to work a crowd and they show their skills here. Nothing too flashy but they tell a solid TV story. Dillon tries to slide his shoe to Orton but Precious stops him. Angered, Dillon grabs her by the shoulders and starts shaking her! She lets out a scream which gets Garvin to slide out of the ring, grabs Dillion and rams him into the post. He checks on Precious before climbing back in the ring where he runs into a sickening lariat from Orton which leads to the 1,2,3.

image.png.36ef9e7535fb26dea49a1c0c85833f2f.png

Taped at the Civic Center before Main Event 

Originally airing on 9/24/88 on the USA Network. 

"World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier defeats The Mongolian Mauler with a running powerslam.

The Zero Fighters shooting star (Keiichi Yamada & Hiroshi Hase) defeat The Brooklyn Brawler & The Black Scorpion when The Scorpion tapped to the "Scorpion Death Lock".

"Black Bullet Shaska Whatley w/"Number One" Paul Jones defeats M.C Slammer (Brickhouse Brown in a mask) with the "Flying Willie".

Main event.

Michael "PS" Hayes defeats Zodiac with a DDT.

In other news...

After recapping last nights Block B matches, we see the updated leaderboard. 

Block A: Kamala 6pts, Robert Fuller 4pts, Ron Garvin 4pts, Joe Lightfoot 2pts, Wahoo McDaniel 2pts, Wendell Cooley 0pts.

Block B: Bob Orton 6pts, Jimmy Garvin 4pts, Manny Fernandez 4pts, The Super Destroyer 4pts, Jimmy Golden 0pts.

Block A will continue next week with...

Wendell Cooley vs Wahoo McDaniel 

Kamala vs Joe Lightfoot 

Ron Garvin vs Robert Fuller

I always liked those rare heel vs. heel matches. Tonight, Super D out heels the gatekeeper. 

Keep an eye on the Buffalo Soldiers. 

Very creative finish in the Prichard/Manny match. 

The Lawmen is another team to watch in 1989. 

Jimmy Jam protects his squeeze but Orton takes advantage and is now on top of Block B. 

Worldwide,

I like how the Black Scorpion submitted to the Scorpion Death Lock. Nice touch. 

Shaska's been looking strong on TV. Perhaps a TV title shot is in his future. 

Lightfoot better bring 2 War Clubs next week LOL. 

I like how you're booking the Starrcade Series this year. We're getting competitive matches and there's still a few names in the running. Kamala and Orton are looking good but I still think Jimmy Jam can pull it out. 

image.png.4f67f39e440532946c844aae2d26a6d7.png

From the Municipal Auditorium in Columbus GA.

Airing on the USA Network on 9/30/88.

(Changing the format slightly as I don't quite feel up to writing a full card like usual)

Starrcade Series Block A match results.

"Wildcat Wendell Cooley defeats "Chief Wahoo McDaniel with a inside cradle after a series of pin attempts. The two shake hands after the bell.

In a bit of a shock, "Chief" Joe Lightfoot defeats The Ugandan Giant" Kamala w/"Number One" Paul Jones Friday by count-out after Kamala tried to splash Lightfoot against the ring post but Lightfoot ducked out of the way.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin and "Tennessee Stud Robert Fuller w/"The Mastermind" Ron Fuller wrestled to a TV time limit draw. Under the rules, this gives each man 1 point.

Non tournament winners: The Renegade Warriors, "Crippler Chris Benoit, "World's Strongest Man" Bill Kazmaier and The Beasts of Burden.

image.png.3a384b1d7c125063dc5993d12201e443.png

After victories by "The Franchise Shane Douglas, The Samoan Island Tribe and the Junkyard Dog, we come to the main event in which Brett Hack Sawyer defeats "British Magician Steve Wright after several bouts of rule breaking culminating in the bridging German suplex. Sawyer took the mic and boasted of having the best German suplex in the business. He says it made him sick to see a "amateur" like Perez use his move so "sloppily". His tirade is cut off by Perez himself hitting the ring and after a brief brawl, hitting a German suplex on Sawyer. As Sawyer lied on the mat, Perez grabbed the mic and said "not bad for an amateur huh?"

Starrcade Series leaderboard...

Block A: Kamala 6pts, Robert Fuller 5pts, Ron Garvin 5pts, Joe Lightfoot 4pts, Wahoo McDaniel 2pts & Wendell Cooley 2pts

Block B: Bob Orton 6pts, Jimmy Garvin 4pts, Manny Fernandez 4pts, The Super Destroyer 4pts, Tom Prichard 2pts Jimmy Golden 0pts

Block B continues next week with...

"The Ace" Bob Orton vs "The Gatekeeper" Jimmy Golden

"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez vs The Super Destroyer

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin vs "The Doctor of Desire" Tom Prichard 

It was nice to see Cooley pick up a win in the series. 

WOW! Look at that, Lightfoot pulls off the upset of the series, and he didn't even use his war club.  I'm thinking this is going to piss Kamala off and he's going to go full savage mode. 

Good call on the Garvin/Fuller match. These guys are evenly matched. 

I'm enjoying the Hack/Perez feud. You've got a fun mid card gem going. 

Didn't see that upset coming! I'm sure that will make things a bit more interesting in the A block as Rob Fuller is now only a point behind. Can Kamala keep his momentum going after that? B block has some key matches coming up too. I agree with the others on the Perez/Sawyer feud, definitely interesting to follow.

No clue about how Lightfoot won... Kamala has been my pick for a while... but I will say that he didn't lose anything along the lines. These types of tournaments can benefit a lot of people in different ways and you're finding out how to do that throughout.  I will say that Wahoo is my anomaly with such high hopes and a great career... could this really be the end for him?

(I'll think I'm gonna keep the format from last week until the Starrcade Series ends. Keeping the blocks straight in my head is kinda sapping my creativity for the rest of the show.)

image.png.1c5832dcc5165fe8a49b312e08817076.png

From the Memorial Auditorium in Greenville SC.

Previously recorded airing on 10/7/88 on the USA Network.

Starrcade Series Block B matches.

"The Ace" Bob Orton w/JJ Dillon vs "The Gatekeeper Jimmy Golden w/"The Mastermind" Ron Fuller

Orton and Dillon ooze arrogance as the enter the ring whereas Fuller and particularly come out looking like a bull ready to stick their horns in the nearest rodeo clown. Despite both men's tendencies towards rule breaking, they do manage to put on a solid technical display. Orton seems to be closing in on a victory when out of nowhere, Fuller wipes out Dillon with a big boot. Orton goes to the ropes and gets in a shouting match with Fuller while the referee tries to keep them separated. During this fracas, Golden is able to come up behind Orton with a low blow followed by a Piledriver to finally get his first win in the Series.

"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez vs The Super Destroyer w/"Number One" Paul Jones 

A much more hard-hitting offering which saw both men rocked by the stiff blows rained down by their opponent. Super D goes for a lariat which Fernandez ducks under and comes off the ropes to catch the masked man with the "Flying Burrito" for the 1,2,3.

"The Doctor of Desire" Tom Prichard vs "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin w/Precious 

The long awaited battle of the Freebirds is here and it doesn't disappoint. Precious and Michael Hayes are both at ringside. Precious cheers her man while Hayes is more neutral, cheering both his brothers. Prichard fires off a Superkick only for Garvin to catch it, spin Prichard around, double him over with a boot and attempts a Brainbuster only for Prichard to counter into a inside cradle for the pin just as TV time expires. Hayes and Precious enter the ring and the show ends with the four in a group hug.

image.png.8793ed79069d58826c64f6a9efc46dd8.png

The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) vs The Beasts of Burden (Rip Morgan & Nord the Barbarian) w/"The Notorious" Ox Baker 

All out brawl as soon as the Beasts hit the ring. Things break down several times and eventually Randy Anderson reaches his wits end and throws the match out. It takes the entire security team and a few lower card wrestlers to separate the two teams. As Ox and the Beasts are being corralled to the entrance, Hawk grabs the mic and challenges all three of them to a Chicago Street Fight at Fright Night! It takes only a shared look before Baker bellows "you're on!"

Starrcade Series Leaderboard

Block A: Kamala 6pts, Robert Fuller 5pts, Ron Garvin 5pts, Joe Lightfoot 4pts, Wahoo McDaniel 2pts, Wendell Cooley 2pts.

Block B: Bob Orton 6pts, Manny Fernandez 6pts, Jimmy Garvin 4pts, The Super Destroyer 4pts, Tom Prichard 4pts, Jimmy Golden 2pts.

Block A will conclude next week with...

Robert Fuller vs Wendell Cooley 

Wahoo McDaniel vs Joe Lightfoot

Ron Garvin vs Kamala 

22 hours ago, Autistic Dragon said:

(I'll think I'm gonna keep the format from last week until the Starrcade Series ends. Keeping the blocks straight in my head is kinda sapping my creativity for the rest of the show.)

I don't mind the short format actually. What I do find a travesty of justice, however, is the fact that you keep all this straight in your head. Really? In your head?

NO! NO! NO!

61mz-HNm-L2-HL-AC-SL1000.jpg

This is my go to for keeping track of notes, feuds, trades, cards, etc. I love these little 4 x 6 books - I usually clear out my Walmart when they have them in stock or from Amazon (the one pictured) if Big Box is sold out.

Hahahahaha, I agree with LST, I'm amazed and beyond impressed that you can keep track of all this is your head. I would have a stack of papers sitting next to me LOL. 

First Lightfoot upsets Kamala and now Golden gets one over on Orton. I like that you keep us guessing. 

Manny is fired up and is now in the running. 

Wow, Prichard eeks out a win in the battle of the Freebirds. 

If there's one team that can go toe to toe with the Warriors, it's the Beasts! 

Looks like there's some crucial matches next week. 

image.png.57d65b2f4ac1e6813b81ea4e47404c40.png

From the Grady Cole Center in Charlotte NC.

Previously recorded airing on 10/14/88 on the USA Network.

Starrcade Series Block A matches.

"Wildcat" Wendell Cooley vs "Tennessee Stud" Robert Fuller w/"The Mastermind" Ron Fuller 

The was plenty of southern flair in this one. Fuller actually has a path forward depending on how the main event plays out while Cooley is just fighting for pride. The end sees Ron get up on the apron holding a towel. Robert tries to whip Cooley into him but the Wildcat reverses and the towel hits Robert in the head. Billy Joe Travis Doug Gilbert run down and pulls Ron down to the floor while Cooley makes the pin for the win.

"Chief" Wahoo McDaniel vs "Chief" Joe Lightfoot 

The feud between these two had cooled since their Indian Strap match at the Great American Bash but you wouldn't know seeing them go at it here. Neither man can advance to the finals but it's clear they both consider a win over the other a fitting consolation prize. Lightfoot seems to have it in his grasp as he goes to lock in the Indian Death Lock but at the last second, Wahoo reaches up and pulls him into a inside cradle for the three! Lightfoot is furious and jumps Wahoo as he's getting his hand raised. The two trade blows until security separates them. I think it's safe to call their beef reheated.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin vs "The Ugandan Giant" Kamala w/"Number One" Paul Jones & Friday 

The winner of this match wins the block and you can tell the two realize it. Well Garvin and Jones do, Kamala might just see another excuse to maul someone. Either way, Garvin throws everything he has at the monster but give him credit, the African warrior just keeps coming back for more. Kamala comes off the top with "Air Africa" but Garvin rolled towards the corner as the big man bounced off the mat. He quickly scales the ropes and comes off the top with a sunsetflip which just barely keeps the struggling Kamala down for the three giving the match and block to Garvin.

image.png.2b4ede58759c78d024ffa5a6aa055c94.png

"The Black Bullet" Shaska Whatley won a 15 man battle royal last eliminating Steve Wright to challenge for the NWA Heritage Championship at Fright Night.

Starrcade Series leaderboard.

Block A: Ron Garvin 7pts, Kamala 6pts, Robert Fuller 5pts, Wahoo McDaniel 4pts, Joe Lightfoot 4pts, Wendell Cooley 4pts

Block A winner: Ron Garvin

Block B: Bob Orton 6pts, Manny Fernandez 6pts, The Super Destroyer 4pts Tom Prichard 4pts, Jimmy Garvin 2pts, Jimmy Golden 2pts.

Block B will conclude next week with...

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin "The Gatekeeper" Jimmy Golden

The Super Destroyer vs "The Doctor of Desire" Tom Prichard 

"Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez vs The Ace" Bob Orton