Pro Wrestling Only

Adam Page

Grimmas

El-P said: 

In the last three years, Adam Page became legit one of the best worker in the world. He's still a work in progress in term of career and I admit I am not familiar with his ROH work, although he was already showing signs of being really good in NJPW (or better than signs, actually). But from his tag work with Kenny Omega, which happened to count arguably the greatest tag-team match ever to his latest accomplishments as a babyface singles main event wrestler, at this pace, of course Adam Page makes the list.

(going for the obvious)

Hangman Page & Kenny Omega vs Young Bucks (AEW - 02/29/2020)

Hangman Page & Kenny Omega vs FTR (AEW - 09/05/2020)

Hangman Page vs Kenny Omega (AEW - 11/13/2021)

Hangman Page vs Bryan Danielson (AEW - 12/15/2021)

At the moment it’s a no for me, but a watch this space because he’s essentially weeks into his big main event run as champion so if it all works out for him and we get 4 more years on top with great matches and a character arc that fans buy into big time then it’ll be hard to leave him off a top 100 list.  I agree with the praise from El-P that his last two years in AEW has delivered some of the companies best matches, and I’ll just add that I thought the 2020 Omega/Page Full Gear match was an excellent opener to the show.  

Not to just repeat what others have already said in the thread (although actually, that's exactly what I'm about to do) but for me it's a 'not yet...but if he continues on his current trajectory then he may have an outside shot'. I haven't watched the second Danielson match yet, but thought he was really good in the first one. I think Danielson is clearly leading large parts and mapping things together, but wrestling a 60 min match, particularly in a modern setting where fans have much more of a limited attention span is no means feat, and at no times does it look like he's being 'carried' in the sense we use that term. It's not flashy or over the top, but he has a real physical charisma to him - able to build crowd sympathy but - so far - without him coming across as weak or pandering, which I think is how he has been able to get so over in AEW at a time in modern wrestling where top of the card babyfaces have often been hard to build.

I haven't watched all his big AEW matches, but I watched almost all his ROH run and by the end he had got really good - the proper workhorse of those Elite/Bullet Club multi ,man matches. In particular his last big match against Jeff Cobb at Final Battle 2018 is a fantastic all action battle where the two guys just smash each other. Other matches I'd recommend from his ROH run if anyone wants to check out:

vs. Jay Briscoe - No DQ (ROH TV 213)

8 Man Tag Team Match (Manhattan Mayhem VII) - yes this is a multiman, but Page is the real star and very good in this

vs. Kota Ibushi (Supercard of Honor XII)

vs. Joey Janela - No DQ (All In) - may not be to everyone's tastes, but a proper spectacle

vs. Jeff Cobb (Final Battle 2018)    

I was there in the front row for the Ibushi match and that was when he first started to turn the corner for me.  I was still pretty skeptical of him as a top guy in a nationally touring company when AEW started but just kept getting better and better and honing his character.  I think he has cut a lot of the superfluous stuff he used to do in-ring, too, and he is really getting good.  The Bryan matches were both outstanding and I can’t wait to see what’s next for him.

On his current trajectory, it’s not hard to envision him on the final list.

• 1 month later...

He's a great all around wrestler, and truthfully 2026 does give him time to pad his case to sneak in at the bottom.

I have not been disappointed with his AEW run. He's a modern day Barry Windham, but with more passion and a better attitude. He does everything that he asked to do efficiently. Not a spot monkey.

Tag, singles, champ, upper card, melodrama, comedy, hardcore, technical, great look, agile, brawler, fan control, builds up matches to become epics with awesome finishes, stamina, and already more great matches than many on the 2016 list to be frank.

Yeah, same here. I agree that they're both versatile, but I've never seen Hangman work heel. I'm sure it's happened, probably in RoH, but I know Barry was great at both. Also, Barry was graceful in a way that most wrestlers aren't while also being pretty damn big. Barry was a total natural and when I watch him when he's at his best, he adds gravitas. EVERYTHING becomes more important when he's in the ring. 

Page has been killing it in AEW, especially since he got the belt. He isn't a spot monkey himself, but I would've liked to see him wrangle Cole in at Revolution. 

Hangman Page did pretty much the exact same, only in the Ring Of Honor midcard against much lesser wrestlers. Even in the G1 run, he didn't really stand out among the pile, having a few decent matches here and there. I don't think his AEW run has been all that special either, honestly. Page had a solid tag run with Omega, a couple of good matches against Danielson. Nothing that'll be on my top Danielson matches, but good ones that are worth mentioning. And that's really it. I thought the actual title win against Omega was lacklustre outside of the actual victory. 

How did he get the "Hangman" nickname? Like did he just choose it, or is related to an angle he did or a move he used in the past? I'm wondering why he's not "Cowboy" Adam Page or Rodeo Adam Page or something. Like, isn't the Hangman gimmick usually a masked gimmick?

7 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

How did he get the "Hangman" nickname? Like did he just choose it, or is related to an angle he did or a move he used in the past? I'm wondering why he's not "Cowboy" Adam Page or Rodeo Adam Page or something. Like, isn't the Hangman gimmick usually a masked gimmick?

IIRC he's explained that NJPW management gave him the nickname to differ him as apart of the BC. Much like how Luke Gallows became Doc Gallows, King Fale became Bad Luck Fale, etc. 

OT: I want to like Page, but I feel like he hasn't really hit his big stride yet. He's had some fairly good matches with the likes of Danielson (granted I think their first match isn't particularly great but that's more due to it having to balance around the limitations of TV and the fact that they very obviously telegraph it as a Broadway, so the drama is diminished a lot) but I liked his tag work a lot more than his singles. I'll give him a few more years to see how he does when his initial title run ends and how he copes without a belt chase. Good wrestler with some very underrated work out there but I always feel like there's something lacking. 

On 3/14/2022 at 7:29 AM, TheDuke said:

Wasn't this some BTE reference to his dick size or something. Apparently that's what Full Gear's name is a wink-wink reference to as well.