Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - February 9/11, 2022

MoS

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, ragemaster said:

Much rather see him at 245 tops in the ring, he with still be over huge and his heart and knees will benefit greatly from the drop in weight. 

A man the height and build of Keith Lee is not going to be 245lbs. He probably hasn't been that weight since he was a teenager. 

You point out that he doesn't have the same speed and agility he had in PWG. Well sure, that was several years ago at this point. He just spent 4 years being told not to work like that, and got 4 years older. He's also 37.

He carries himself just fine and has for years. This was his first match back in months, first outside the well controlled E in years and he had a very serious illness not that long ago. Add in probably being emotional at the reception and I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill. 

Bask in His Glory. He is going to be just fine if he doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Lee was billed at 348 and looked every bit of it. Getting down to 245 is too much to ask, especially since he draws so much of his aura from his size. But if he got down to around 300, he'd be much better off in both health and performance while still looking like a monster relative to the rest of the roster. I wouldn't say he looked blown up on Wednesday, but it was a short match centered around Private Party pinballing for him. Luckily for him, AEW has no shortage of smaller guys who can bounce off him while he works himself back into ring shape.

I have no idea how it's even a debate that Keith Lee did look heavier than he was before and that it's better at his age and considering his style and the fact he got COVID to lose some weight eventually. Of course idiots on Twitter already are calling "body shaming", because that's what idiots on Twitter do. 

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

As much as him busting out a moonsault is dope, him slamming fools is where the money is at.

Actually, it's not. Keith Lee got over by being Keith Lee aka a big guy who was doing some really athletic stuff. Not saying he should not adapt his game if his body his betraying him, especially in a company where so many guys can make him look good, but there are already big dudes who slam fools around (Miro, Wardlow, Archer, Hobbs). Turning Keith Lee into Mark Henry (hi JR!) is just not what is expected out of him, especially since it's basically what WWE tried to do to him, forcing him into being someone else. Sure, he's got tons of charisma too and will have the benefit of a rather long honeymoon period I think. But if he doesn't deliver in the ring when someone is not bumping like a freak like Cassidy did (that alone should assure him of a new contract), things may get tricky in the long run. Look at Ruby Soho. Got huge pop when she debuted, looked like a total star. But she really has not delivered in matches, now she doesn't look half as hot as when she started. Keith Lee may be a huge star for AEW, but there are some questions (like the work-ethic of Andrade was questioned at times). Raising them shouldn't be an issue. Loved the debut, glad he's there, hoping for the best.

It's not even turning him into Mark Henry the Second, but I do not expect him to be doing moonsaults at almost 40 years of age, 350 pounds. He has to adapt his game specially due to his health. 

I get that AEW has a distinct selection of hosses, but in WWE there were other good big dudes who could do athletic stuff and Lee still felt different, even without doing moonsaults. He absolutely can deliver even when facing someone who is big & beefy. One of the highlights of the 2020 Rumble was him essentially going toe to toe with big boy Brock Lesnar, and Lesnar's frame is larger than Kassidy's. Just two behemoths clashing, and it was fucking great.

He is one that CAN get by on charisma and presence. Ruby and Andrade, not so much. 

I guess this is the weekly AEW thread now. Crazy how the Bucks and Roppongi Vice can have seemingly a great match in their sleep. Paying close attention to the Bucks is always fascinating in how they are masters of pretty much every aspect of their game, from the way to occupy space, the little detail selling, the spot to troll the crowd and of course the actual working of complex sequences without missing a beat (Nick Jackson is legit one of the greatest flyer ever not only in term of what and how he does it, but how he works the set-up spots). Just a pleasure to watch. Rocky Romero has to be one of the most underrated worker of the last 20 years too.

Hook is the rookie of the year, not even close.

Clearly going Thunder Rosa vs Baker at the PPV. Time for Baker to do the J.O.B.

Gotta love the Gunn Club total Shawn Micheals's 1992 tribute outfits. They are competent workers, Austin in particular could be more in time. Very good match because Jungle Boy is just that good and Luchasaurus shines in tag, this is really the perfect setting for him. No one believed the Gunn could win the belts though, so Colten "NXT face", as they say, really came off goofy, this stuff only works well when you actually get a very credible false finish or at least very strong near-fall. Still, enjoyable main event to build up the champs even more before facing some high end tag teams.

Darby vs Sammy on Dynamite next week is a helluva strong match. Does that mean we get Andrade vs one of them at the PPV (either non title or title, as I don't see Sammy losing the title anytime soon again) ? 

12 hours ago, El-P said:

Paying close attention to the Bucks is always fascinating in how they are masters of pretty much every aspect of their game, from the way to occupy space, the little detail selling, the spot to troll the crowd and of course the actual working of complex sequences without missing a beat (Nick Jackson is legit one of the greatest flyer ever not only in term of what and how he does it, but how he works the set-up spots). Just a pleasure to watch. Rocky Romero has to be one of the most underrated worker of the last 20 years too.

Yeah all the banter about the Bucks and how they can't resist trolling the Cornette types really buries how good those guys are at what they do.  Dave got a little bit of teasing for saying he can't remember the Bucks having any bad matches last year, which.....I mean I can't either. 

She got hit in the back with a steel chair multiple times and then the woman doing it used her upbringing as an excuse while shitting on Kris for not having any struggles. She can be as mean as she wants to be to Leyla, and there is no way anyone turns on her for this. 

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Sorry, this is way too harsh for a babyface promo. It sounds like something MJF would say. Although it would be funny if it causes crowds to turn on her and they have to turn her heel like Lita in 2005 and Eve Torres in 2012.

Ten years later I still can't believe wwe didn't realize Eve was going to be booed in that storyline. Especially how popular Ryder was and just the way they booked her to have puppy love for Cena.