Pro Wrestling Only

Best Midcard Feuds Post-2000

KawadaSmile

As suggested by bubba @DMJ, let's reminisce remarkable feuds that didn't quite make it to the top of the card, usually revolving about a secondary title

For instance, Miz vs Ziggler has been one of the absolute best feuds of the 2010s. Mizanin basically put on some of the best promos, segments and in-ring performances of his career there, and Ziggler likewise was on a roll as a babyface. Honestly his best work ever. It truly felt like the IC title peaked then and there, and it neve really came close to reaching that height.

I would also like to give Cesaro/Sheamus and Ishii/Honma as great feuds.

MVP vs. Matt Hardy 2007-2008. Terrific year-long chase with the MVP challenge series, the tag title run, and then Matt returning at Mania to cost MVP Money in the Bank. I do wonder if they still intended to have the blow-off match after Mania considering Matt got shoot injured, but it played very nicely into the whole thing.

Everything surrounding AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe from the summer of 2005 through late 2006. Unbreakable may have seen them in the ME, but the majority of their work took place in the midcard, delivering a smorgasbord of great workrate-driven matches that also showcased storytelling growth between the three. 

16 hours ago, Laz said:

Everything surrounding AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe from the summer of 2005 through late 2006. Unbreakable may have seen them in the ME, but the majority of their work took place in the midcard, delivering a smorgasbord of great workrate-driven matches that also showcased storytelling growth between the three. 

This, without a doubt. They were redefining the US state of the art of pro-wrestling (alongside guys in ROH, but who had actual main event spots in their company).

In the same vein, Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong in 2007/2008 was years beyond its time as far as US women pro-wrestling goes. Classic stuff that still kills the majority of US women's stuff today honestly (which probably has peaked a few years back in NXT/WWE, but has now seemingly plateaued and even regressed with Charlotte turning into whatever she is today, years of Nia Jaxx bullshit and Alexa Bliss doing magic tricks).

57 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Rhodes Brothers/Shield up there for me. Amazing payoff. 

I was thinking about some NXT stuff but the issue there is that basically all their great mid-card feuds became main event level after awhile, especially with the women. 

Call me crazy, but I was a big fan of the Tye Dillinger vs Eric Young feud in NXT from 2016-17. Just solid progression over several months, climaxing in a satisfying cage match blowoff 

1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Call me crazy, but I was a big fan of the Tye Dillinger vs Eric Young feud in NXT from 2016-17. Just solid progression over several months, climaxing in a satisfying cage match blowoff 

The one that led to Sanity vs Ten Guy/Chris Hero/Ruby Riott and one more person?

I remember that being surprisingly smooth, too