Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 8/10 and 8/12

Timbo Slice

I find it interesting that when folks talk about AEW ratings stagnating and/or slightly dropping no one mentions that they've lost big names like Omega, Punk, and Cole for various lengths of time and those were probably their top three most popular people. I expect the people who are in different camps in the silly tribal wars to ignore it, but I don't think I've seen anyone mentioning it as a reason why they weren't at the same heights they were. 

Not only were Omega and Punk big draws, they were focal points creatively as well. It's clear Coach Tony K is bound and determined to make the matches he wants happen, so if injuries get in the way he usually just holds it off. I would say the big reason AEW sometimes seemed to be running in place is because they were. Part of it was shit luck having so many big names go down one after another, but then again they were the ones pushing their luck by having a guy who was being held together with duct tape and chewing gum like Kenny be the centerpiece of your promotion. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I find it interesting that when folks talk about AEW ratings stagnating and/or slightly dropping no one mentions that they've lost big names like Omega, Punk, and Cole for various lengths of time and those were probably their top three most popular people.

Yep. Plus MJF. And Danielson.

No shit they are stagnating in the ratings. Plus, all the hype is with WWE now with Vince being gone, and it's gonna keep being that way for a while (Sasha coming back should boost interest whenever that happens).

People acting like AEW is gonna be dead soon (and rejoicing because of it no less) is so stupid and pathetic. Those people don't get that two healthy main promotions is better for *everyone*, even if you don't follow or even like one of them. 

24 minutes ago, strobogo said:

The complete absence of MJF chants is interesting. Fans moved on immediately. 

He got squashed and cut a smarky promo that was probably too cute and then not followed up on at all.  I'm not as high on his character as most but fully expect his return to blow the roof off a building when given the opportunity.

8 hours ago, El-P said:

On the MJF front, I for one, although I've been a fan since his MLW days, don't miss him on the shows at all. That's kinda odd. 

He's very talented but his absence has shown that AEW doesn't need him. I felt like when Danielson & Punk were gone, they were missed but MJF didn't feel the same to me.

57 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Haven't watched this that much recently but got it on on ITV here. Did this really start with a coffin match full of blood or did the UK broadcast start oddly

Seems like a strange way to start a show unless they're trying to keep an audience from the lead-in? Can't get my head around it

The coffin match was the opener, and Brody King did indeed tap a gusher.

I think Madison Rayne's first two matches here had more to do with being in there with more inexperienced opponents than she's used to. Jade & Leila are both still in their first 2 years. While more often a heel, she's had great matches in the past as a babyface against Tessa and Taya. Her final Impact match aired last week against Mia Yim was also quite good.

As for Zack Clayton, he's had over 10 matches on Dark over the past 2 years (and actually got a win over Serpentico), but the weird part to me was that he'd been a babyface most recently, so it was strange for him to show up on TV as a heel. He was just in the trios match last week teaming with Sonny Kiss on Dark. I do know his AEW work has gotten shown in clips on Jersey Shore on MTV a few times.

21 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Haven't watched this that much recently but got it on on ITV here. Did this really start with a coffin match full of blood or did the UK broadcast start oddly

Seems like a strange way to start a show unless they're trying to keep an audience from the lead-in? Can't get my head around it

Their lead-in is Big Bang Theory, which makes it even more bizarre. I’m not an Orange Cassidy guy, but I at least understand the logic for why he might be a good opener for that audience.