Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 10/12 - 10/14

Timbo Slice

I repeat that something is absolutely up. They're lagging on ticket sales for tomorrow (for Rampage, which doesn't even exist in Canada) and the only thing they've announced is Judas.

And that's with it extremely likely that Ethan Page vs Matt Hardy will happen, for instance. Why not announce that? It's weird.

I found something that interests me in Jericho vs Danielson: will Khan be enough of a mark to spend the stupid amount of money Europe asks to use Final Countdown this one time?

It bothers me he booked himself in a stupid corner with this match. Jericho shouldn't lose the title this soon -and it seems the build up is for him to drop it to García eventually- but jobbing Danielson again to put a guy like Jericho over is so damn dumb.

I'm interested in seeing PAC do his damnest to steal the show with OC. Also expect a ridiculous big reaction for Billy Gunn vs heel Swerve.

1 minute ago, The Thread Killer said:

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to reference the fact that the Jays imploded, blew a 7 run lead and got eliminated from the playoffs in two straight games. Sounds like Christian got it out of the way right off the bat. And took a shot at the Leafs, too.

I wonder what MJF is gonna say now, use the local team for cheap heat is his go to move (and I love it, btw).

Also, good to hear such a fired up crowd again.

It never fails to amaze me that almost every week on this show, some dipshit has paid good money to sit in one of the first few rows on the hard camera side and do nothing but pay attention to when they are on camera so they can hold up a Cornette sign and look disinterested in everything else happening.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

I repeat that something is absolutely up. They're lagging on ticket sales for tomorrow (for Rampage, which doesn't even exist in Canada) and the only thing they've announced is Judas.

And that's with it extremely likely that Ethan Page vs Matt Hardy will happen, for instance. Why not announce that? It's weird.

I mean I'd rather see Spears than Omega anyway...

But yeah, they couldn't have announced a Mox/Claudio vs Butcher/Blade match early to at least let people know Mox and Claudio would be wrestling?

Thought the Hangman promo was great. Thought the main event was pretty good. I hope to never have to see another Jericho match that isn't from 1998 for the rest of my life. Everything with him is so self-indulgent and I really wish TK would use him more sparingly. He has these never ending feuds and goes on and on about how he made whoever it was against a star and all this shit, but the feuds are all boring and the other guy ends up doing nothing for 6 months after.

9 hours ago, strobogo said:

Thought the Hangman promo was great. Thought the main event was pretty good. I hope to never have to see another Jericho match that isn't from 1998 for the rest of my life. Everything with him is so self-indulgent and I really wish TK would use him more sparingly. He has these never ending feuds and goes on and on about how he made whoever it was against a star and all this shit, but the feuds are all boring and the other guy ends up doing nothing for 6 months after.

I've long suspected that Jericho's contract with AEW includes roster usage requirements and at least a measure of creative control.  

Page's promo was half good and half bad. He started off ok but then kind of lost his way and kept repeating himself. Hitting himself in the head was a bit much, and I can't tell if he kept touching the spot afterwards in an 'ow, that hurt' kind of way or if he though he made himself bleed or meant to make himself bleed. Either way, that part wasn't good. Interesting when he talked about his 'old friends' being gone. The longer it goes I wonder if it's for good. 

Best part of the show was Orange Cassidy winning the All Atlantic Championship. While the title doesn't mean much in AEW, it's still nice to see OC being rewarded for becoming one of the standouts of AEW since the beginning. 

Glad to see Renee, she should be a good addition. One of the things I wish AEW did have though was a heel interviewer like a Jesse Ventura type. Someone to help stir the pot and either hype the heels or start some conflicts. Christian while he is injured would probably be good in that role.

Not sure what the point of Nyla Rose stealing the TBS title is. Seems strange that Anna Jay is out there challenging Rose to a match and not one of the Baddies. 

Rest of the show was just ok. Nothing great, nothing terrible. 

The Rampage card is a collection of weird matches. Mox and Claudio vs Butcher and Blade should be good, but it's filler. Shawn Spears showing up out of nowhere to team with FTR smells like a swerve. Probably leading to Spears joining the Embassy and them vs FTR, Joe, and Wardlow. The Firm and Private Party and Matt Hardy stuff is all over the place. Hopefully Tony can focus on making Rampage a more coherent show with a purpose soon. 

Cross-posting a couple of thoughts I posted in DVDVR, as people there felt a real resonance to what Page said:

Spoiler

I'm hesitant to engage too much with the Page promo since it meant a lot to you guys. Let me put it this way. It's very interesting the characters they have on the table right now.

• Jon Moxley: a guy with demons who got clean, who's found his identity and his path forward through the traditional role of the ace, the man, the guy, the person to carry the load and the responsibility. He put the work in. He puts the work in every day. He doesn't question what he's doing. He doesn't question the importance. He wants to be given the ball. If he fails, that's on him. He'll get up and try harder and if it makes him into a monster? If people start to think that? Well, he's just doing what he has to do for everyone. He's carrying that load. He said it right out. "You can't have anxiety and be champion." If you do, the best you can be is a good kid who tries hard, not champion, not the guy. Moxley didn't make the world but he's lives in it and is confined by it and has decided what it takes to succeed and is willing to do it with open eyes, being honest to himself, his family, everyone else. If you like him, great. If you hate him, great. He's made peace with it.
  • Adam Page: Just getting out of bed is hard work. Getting to the arena is hard work. Putting one foot after the other is hard work. He's Sisyphus pushing the rock up the hill, having to fight himself as much as his opponents. And there's a path. There was a path in the old AEW, the one that existed with Mox but not Punk or Danielson or a resurgent Jericho (not that the old Jericho didn't give him problems). There was a path through Omega and he put all the pieces together and took it, but the struggle doesn't end with one victory. It never ends. And when it came down to it, he refused to be the guy who Mox claims he has to be, ruthless and lacking self doubt. He refused to be brutal and cheat to beat Punk, but he thought about it for just long enough to lose. But he's still putting one foot in front of the other, still trying, still working out what it takes to have that next hybrid victory, over himself, over a man like Jon Moxley, over a world that he didn't make and he has to struggle against every day. He doesn't accept the world and all of its fickleness and contradictions, but he's trapped in it just like everyone else is, and he's damn well doing his best.
  • MJF: He looks in the mirror and punches himself in the face. Except for he doesn't. Page does. Literally. But MJF claims to. He made his decision years ago and does he feel bad about it? Sure, the way he feels bad about turning his head when he walks past a homeless guy on the street. It's a damn shame, right? Someone should do something about that. Not MJF. He's got to scrap for whatever he can, because the world's hard so he has to be harder. And if it comes down to shaking Yuta's hand, he doesn't know what he'd do, but he kind of does know what he'd do. He just doesn't want to admit it to himself for all that talk about looking in the mirror. And he's got an excuse ready. He'll put in work, but there's not the same heart in it. For him, the struggle isn't getting past the finish line. It's just getting to the line. Because he'll cheat the rest of the way. He's got that luxury that Page doesn't have and Moxley doesn't need. The only thing he struggles with is the fact that you're not acknowledging him and making excuses for him, that you hold him up to the standard he claims to have, when frankly, he can't be bothered with any of that. If you'd just shut up about it, things would be great. Then at least he could pretend he was the man he said he was.

Except for at the end of the promo the fans were chanting for MJF. So... who knows?

They raised all of these things throughout the night though. MJF's promo. Mox's promo. Hangman's promo.

You do the math on the above, and Hangman is protected next week in loss. He's sort of bulletproof. It's enough that he shows up and gives it his all because that's such a monumental lift and ask for him.

------

I will say that this made something click for me with Hangman that hadn't before. There was a lot of talk about the ball being dropped with him after he won the title, how the long story was over and there was nowhere to go with him, how it was a shame that wrestling is ever ongoing because it meant the arc couldn't be finished. In some ways, that's kind of the point with him. It's always going to be a struggle. It's always going to be a challenge. Sometimes, finding the next thing is the challenge. Sometimes it's chasing the belt. Sometimes it's keeping the belt. Sometimes it's losing the belt. Sometimes it's standing up for your friends. Sometimes it's trying to decide between your "cool" friends and your "dorky ones". Sometimes it's facing down the guy who is everything you want to be (or that society demands that you be). But the guy is sort of a never-ending story engine so long as you're not looking for resolution but instead leaning into the fact that every day will always be a struggle.

Now, it's up to Khan and Page to figure out how to make that into money and matches, but in some ways it's perfect for the serialized, never-ending nature of pro wrestling TV.