Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - October 18/21, 2022

MoS

29 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Hot damn, that MJF/Regal segment was good shit, pal.

So it’s confirmed…Nese and Woods are a full time team called “The Varsity Athletes?” I can live with that. Probably the best possible use of both guys. (Sorry @C.S.)

MJF needs to do something big after that though. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

So it’s confirmed…Nese and Woods are a full time team called “The Varsity Athletes?” I can live with that. Probably the best possible use of both guys. (Sorry @C.S.)

Hiding an uncharismatic oaf in a tag team is a tale as old as time. 

9 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I honestly don't understand the hang-up over interim titles. Crowning an interim champion while the champ is out and having a unification match when the champ returns vs. vacating the title and crowning a new champion with the former champ getting a title shot as soon as they return is a distinction without a difference, especially in a worked sport.

To me the word has a negative connotation because UFC  taught everyone that means they didn't feel like paying the champion what they wanted and/or "Dana just wanted to have a title match to help salvage this bum ass PPV card". 

You know, any individual incident can be chalked up to bad luck (or bad health/genetics in Punk's' case), but at some point, AEW needs to get a handle on their high injury rate. This year alone, you have Orange Cassidy, CM Punk twice, Adam Cole, Adam Page, Kyle O'Reilly, Fenix, Christian Cage, Ruby Soho, Thunder Rosa, Santana, Kris Statlander, Darius Martin, Leyla Hirsch, Scorpio Sky, Lee Johnson, Alex Reynolds, and Red Velvet. WWE also has a lot of injuries, but as a proportion of the roster, and as a proportion of the *actually important* roster, that's an insane %.

1 hour ago, Embrodak said:

You know, any individual incident can be chalked up to bad luck (or bad health/genetics in Punk's' case), but at some point, AEW needs to get a handle on their high injury rate. This year alone, you have Orange Cassidy, CM Punk twice, Adam Cole, Adam Page, Kyle O'Reilly, Fenix, Christian Cage, Ruby Soho, Thunder Rosa, Santana, Kris Statlander, Darius Martin, Leyla Hirsch, Scorpio Sky, Lee Johnson, Alex Reynolds, and Red Velvet. WWE also has a lot of injuries, but as a proportion of the roster, and as a proportion of the *actually important* roster, that's an insane %.

Wrestling is dangerous. Some people get injured falling off a 15 foot ladder through two tables. Some get injured because of the person doing the move to them doing it incorrectly. Sometimes it’s accumulated wear and tear. Sometimes they knock themselves out in the ring taking a bump off a clothesline. It happens. I am glad that AEW learned from the Matt Hardy debacle and treated this as seriously as it possibly could have been. 

I dunno, IIRC some of those names got injured in spots that wouldn't be out of the norm for them. Matt Hardy's horrific ladder bump isn't the same thing as Fenix managing to injure himself on a freak accident (and he still recovered in record time),or even as Punk breaking his foot on a stage dive.

But of course, I think it's pertinent take a look at how many concussion related injuries there are, do an industry wide research on the matter, and try to make thing as safe as possible.

2 hours ago, Embrodak said:

Unless it is dangerous bumps, injuries in sports happen and a lot of the time it is very random.  A baseball team can have great health one year and then have poor health the next, with the variable being luck and fortune.

1 hour ago, TimCooke said:

Unless it is dangerous bumps, injuries in sports happen and a lot of the time it is very random.  A baseball team can have great health one year and then have poor health the next, with the variable being luck and fortune.

Idk, way too many videos of people in AEW being dropped on their head or falling on their head doing flippies for me to chalk it up to pure randomness. AEW wrestlers are encouraged and/or incentivized to have longer, more intricately laid out matches than are typical for a promotion of their size, increasing the wear and tear on their bodies and increasing the probability that even innocuous-seeming moves can have bad consequences. This is counterbalanced somewhat by their lack of house shows, but then you have the counterintuitive thing some guys mention where wrestling more frequently actually locks in the muscle memory and makes the matches hurt less. Like I said, you can chalk up individual incidents to randomness, but there does seem to be a lot of recklessness toward self and others in the wrestling culture of AEW that management really should crack down on.

The only major difference I can see between AEW and WWE's style is that the former does piledrivers while the latter doesn't. Other than that, reckless bumps, sometimes dangerous head drops, stiff shots etc, happen all over the place. 

The issue with AEW seems to be that they were not really putting their massive, massive roster to good use. Lots of people are relegated to the YouTube shows when they could be doing TV, taking minutes off excessively (and thus harsher on the body) big matches.

Unrelated, I saw a clip of Athena just beating the shit out of a Canadian wrestler (whose name I sadly forgot), and people were saying she was unprofessional - it wasn't necessarily harsher than any Sheamus/GOONTHA match out there. In fact, it's the most Athena had shown personality since who knows when.

Hitting hard can be done safely as well! Clubs to the back, chops to the chest, all that shit looks great and isn't going to give you a concussion!

The AEW style has regular spots every week that are closer to head and neck drops than basically anything WWE does on weekly TV. The more dangerous stuff is saved for big matches more often than not, but the proclivity for head drops is much higher in AEW than in WWE. The Dead Eye is used on a regular basis by Page, the aforementioned piledrivers, even spots like German suplexes are played higher on the neck and shoulders on a regular basis. 

It’s more a commentary on the house style and the talent looking to get over: because of a bloated roster most folks are trying to do their best shit when they do get TV time so they go out of their way to hit their best high spots, which always leads to more injury risk. 

26 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The only major difference I can see between AEW and WWE's style is that the former does piledrivers while the latter doesn't. Other than that, reckless bumps, sometimes dangerous head drops, stiff shots etc, happen all over the place. 

The issue with AEW seems to be that they were not really putting their massive, massive roster to good use. Lots of people are relegated to the YouTube shows when they could be doing TV, taking minutes off excessively (and thus harsher on the body) big matches.

Unrelated, I saw a clip of Athena just beating the shit out of a Canadian wrestler (whose name I sadly forgot), and people were saying she was unprofessional - it wasn't necessarily harsher than any Sheamus/GOONTHA match out there. In fact, it's the most Athena had shown personality since who knows when.

Hitting hard can be done safely as well! Clubs to the back, chops to the chest, all that shit looks great and isn't going to give you a concussion!

Idk, some of those moves Athena was hitting were on the reckless side, esp. that drop out of the ring and that dropkick through the barrier. Also, one must consider the difference between a PLE match and a Dark match a few thousand people will see, in terms of whether it's responsible to work that stiff or responsible to ask a debuting wrestler to take those stiff shots for you.

As for WWE vs AEW, WWE is def a lot more open to reckless shit than it used to be, but I am dubious that you could do as many compilations of people landing on their head for them as have been done for AEW. Would be a good vector of statistical analysis, though. WWE definitely wouldn't let Sammy and Darby do the stupid shit they do as often as they do it, I can say that much.

10 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

That was Jody Threat. Regular in the Ontario indy scene, worked in Quebec & Maritimes a few times too.

Really happy and relieved that Page is doing okay. 

Also, Punk's biggest legacy might just be elevating MJF as a performer; the latter got visibly better every week he feuded with Punk. He is finally beginning to find his identity as a worker.

57 minutes ago, MoS said:

Really happy and relieved that Page is doing okay. 

Also, Punk's biggest legacy might just be elevating MJF as a performer; the latter got visibly better every week he feuded with Punk. He is finally beginning to find his identity as a worker.

His matches are mostly good. The Darby match I remember especially. I don’t know if I like where they are going with his character now though. He needs to do something in this Moxley feud that shows he’s ready for that spot. This stuff with Regal and treating him like a kid vs ‘I’m a man’ is too much like what just happened with Page. If he wants to be treated like a man show us that he is, don’t tell us, otherwise that is acting like a kid. 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, Timbo Slice said:

Except Jericho has long been one of Meltzer’s sources if I remember correctly. At least in his WCW/WWE days. 

You were right, with Jericho letting crap like this be posted on his website and Facebook page. AEW isn’t going to get any better if this is still how those in charge and with power and influence are going to act. Just more petty bs. https://www.webisjericho.com/newly-reported-information-suggests-cm-punk-is-finished-with-aew/